Can you nap during moonlighting and also what is...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeyJey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a first year medical student and have heard about moonlighting and the financial possibilities but I had some questions as to the real world logistics of it for psychiatrists.

Can you nap during moonlighting? Like during your lunch or breaks or when it gets slow? Are you always needed?

What days is it available usually?

What is the schedule like for the day after? Do you just start your regular day shift right after the moonlight shift?

Is it only available for residents? Can you do it post residency?

Thanks for any explanations!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you nap during moonlighting? Like during your lunch or breaks or when it gets slow?
Yes

Are you always needed?
Probably not. Depends on the setting. At my institution, psych moonlighting is just acting as a backup for the regular on-call resident. You can usually just stay at home and get paid for it. You get paid extra when you have to come into the hospital. Of course, our residents can also choose to moonlight at another hospital. Some places will just pay you a flat hourly rate no matter how much work you do, and they'd probably expect you to be the only psychiatrist in the ER for several hours, so you'd expect to be a lot busier. Other places might expect you to be in the hospital all the time, but might only have a couple of hours of work over that time period.

What days is it available usually?
Every day.

What is the schedule like for the day after? Do you just start your regular day shift right after the moonlight shift?
Yes. It's like working a second job. Moonlighting is not supposed to affect your availability/performance at your regular job. One qualifier is that it still applies toward your work hour limits, so if you're getting close to breaking those, then you can't take that particular moonlight shift.

Is it only available for residents? Can you do it post residency?
"Moonlighting" is a generic umbrella term that really just means doing extra work for extra cash when you're not at your regular job. So yeah, you can do it after residency.

Thank you sir (or ma'am)!

What is the hourly rate like for moonlighting in your experience? Or is it a flat fee?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the job and what's being offered. Be sure to scrutinize what the work load will be for the renumeration.
ditto this. What shan is describing sounds like an internal moonlighting gig. Those gigs tend to be limited to one opportunity at the place you do residency. They also tend to be lower pay then other opportunities.

I do three moonlighting gigs, and all of them require you to work for every hour you get paid. On a good day you might have a bit of downtime to check your email and such, but nothing like take a nap. Call yes, but moonlighting know. We don't get paid for taking call at my program. It sounds awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user