Can you negotiate your offer from CVS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got an offer from CVS. Can I negotiate vacation, sick days and salary or is that all set in stone.

Also they told me that there were two available locations in the district. Can I request to be put in one location over the other, or is this something that is out of my control.

Additionally they told me that training would be 3 months. Is that the maximum amount of time I am allowed to be trained, or is this the time I am allotted to be trained for (so my question is, if I pick up the training quickly can my training period be lessened from 3 months?).

As a side note, for those who work for CVS did you sign on for their benefits like insurance or 401k?

Members don't see this ad.

So I got an offer from CVS. Can I negotiate vacation, sick days and salary or is that all set in stone.

Also they told me that there were two available locations in the district. Can I request to be put in one location over the other, or is this something that is out of my control.

Additionally they told me that training would be 3 months. Is that the maximum amount of time I am allowed to be trained, or is this the time I am allotted to be trained for (so my question is, if I pick up the training quickly can my training period be lessened from 3 months?).

As a side note, for those who work for CVS did you sign on for their benefits like insurance or 401k?

Disclaimer: I don't work for CVS

That said, I have friends that have worked for pretty much every major retail chain and none of them have been able to negotiate especially now in this type of market we're in unless you're in the middle of nowhere and they're having a hard time to staff in that location, but that usually only leads to a small sign on bonus with contract to stay there for xxxx amount of time. 5 years ago may have been a different story as a lot of things were done under the table and kept on the DL. Generally speaking sick days, vacation days etc are all set by the companies corporate policy. To give you preferable treatment would open them up for discrimination IMO.

You should be able to negotiate location.

Always max out of your 401K match no matter where you work.

Doubt you'll be able to negotiate. The ball is in their court considering the number of graduates who would be glad to take what CVS offered you and not ask for anything else. I signed on with CVS because its what I know and enjoy doing. I had already been there for 5 & 1/2 years though, so the benefits are a little better for me than for you. Once you're there for 4 years, you get a 3rd week of paid vacation. After years, you get a 4th. So I already will have 3 weeks paid vacay a year and I have already qualified for the 401K. About the 401K, they match 100% up to the first 5%, which is pretty nice, and you are automatically 100% vested in what you contribute and what they match. They have a lot of good investment elections as well, my rate of return this year was 8.5% (I have only been contributing since May though). Another thing, they offer shares of CVS Stock at a 15% discount of the lowest price in the last 6 months, so it's a good deal. I love CVS!!! Hope you do, too!

For the location, when I interviewed I told the DM where I wanted to be. I'm kind-of in a shortage area though, so I should be able to get what I want. You may have to float for a few months, but you'll get your choice eventually.

Training: you need all the training! You get paid for it, for one thing, and you don't want to be the new guy (or girl) in the pharmacy who doesn't know how to run the computer system. The new system is user friendly and is pretty efficient, but you have to know how to do it. I've seen a pharmacist come to CVS without training on the computer... BAD situation for everyone!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Doubt you'll be able to negotiate. The ball is in their court considering the number of graduates who would be glad to take what CVS offered you and not ask for anything else. I signed on with CVS because its what I know and enjoy doing. I had already been there for 5 & 1/2 years though, so the benefits are a little better for me than for you. Once you're there for 4 years, you get a 3rd week of paid vacation. After years, you get a 4th. So I already will have 3 weeks paid vacay a year and I have already qualified for the 401K. About the 401K, they match 100% up to the first 5%, which is pretty nice, and you are automatically 100% vested in what you contribute and what they match. They have a lot of good investment elections as well, my rate of return this year was 8.5% (I have only been contributing since May though). Another thing, they offer shares of CVS Stock at a 15% discount of the lowest price in the last 6 months, so it's a good deal. I love CVS!!! Hope you do, too!

For the location, when I interviewed I told the DM where I wanted to be. I'm kind-of in a shortage area though, so I should be able to get what I want. You may have to float for a few months, but you'll get your choice eventually.

Training: you need all the training! You get paid for it, for one thing, and you don't want to be the new guy (or girl) in the pharmacy who doesn't know how to run the computer system. The new system is user friendly and is pretty efficient, but you have to know how to do it. I've seen a pharmacist come to CVS without training on the computer... BAD situation for everyone!

do you know if I get paid the full amount (per hour) or if I would get paid half during training period . Or does that all depend on whether you are licensed or not.

It all depends on when you get your license. You get half until you are licensed.

It all depends on when you get your license. You get half until you are licensed.

I'm not working for CVS, but I know at another chain they offer about $45-47 as a grad intern, then it goes up to $60-62 once you are licensed.

Not necessarily 1/2 but it depends on which chain and district you are working for.

And to answer the OP's question.. I'm guessing NO, unless you have something ridiculously awesome to offer the company (ie speaking 5 languages, the possession of 3 arms, etc..).. because if you dont' like what they are offering they could easily find another graduating Rph to take your spot. Unless of course you are in the boondocks.

Training for 3 months? I thought it was 6 weeks while you are a grad intern studying for your test and then you get 40 hours of training as a pharmacist. Unless you're gonna start working as a regular intern, even then...I never got any training. Just pray that you get good techs. I've worked with some really really bad techs. Have a notebook and write down everything because you won't remember it when you need it.

As far as negotiation goes, you won't get anything out of CVS. You can ask for a specific location. It sounds like you are going to have your own store, which is strange because they usually offer that to their current floaters. I work for CVS a few times a month. I can only take CVS in small doses.

Training for 3 months? I thought it was 6 weeks while you are a grad intern studying for your test and then you get 40 hours of training as a pharmacist. Unless you're gonna start working as a regular intern, even then...I never got any training. Just pray that you get good techs. I've worked with some really really bad techs. Have a notebook and write down everything because you won't remember it when you need it.

As far as negotiation goes, you won't get anything out of CVS. You can ask for a specific location. It sounds like you are going to have your own store, which is strange because they usually offer that to their current floaters. I work for CVS a few times a month. I can only take CVS in small doses.

The three months training is for your bladder. It takes about that long to train your body to not use the bathroom for 14 hour shifts. It also gives your body time to adjust to not eating for 14 hours at a time. It is a process that you must go through.

Pro tip: Bring a radio as well. It's going to be "your" pharmacy while you are working there. There is only so long you can listen to Muzak. They have music playing there that is older than me and you'll know the lyrics within a few days. A radio works to give you some background noise and a little more recent music that will play constantly that you'll learn the lyrics to.

I floated as a tech to a pharmacy that had a mini radio there for music and it made the environment a lot less stressful.

And when I say play the music, I mean like, playing it loud enough that you guys can have a little buzz in the background. We don't want to explain to the 80 yr old ladies why they should "blame it on the alcohol" or something.

Pro tip: Bring a radio as well. It's going to be "your" pharmacy while you are working there. There is only so long you can listen to Muzak. They have music playing there that is older than me and you'll know the lyrics within a few days. A radio works to give you some background noise and a little more recent music that will play constantly that you'll learn the lyrics to.

I floated as a tech to a pharmacy that had a mini radio there for music and it made the environment a lot less stressful.

And when I say play the music, I mean like, playing it loud enough that you guys can have a little buzz in the background. We don't want to explain to the 80 yr old ladies why they should "blame it on the alcohol" or something.

Back when I worked at CVS, DM came in one day while I wasn't there, disconnected the radio/iPod dock and said he didn't wanna see it again. Apparently some customers complained saying that the pharmacy shouldn't sound like a nightclub. (I usually put some rock or trance on or sports talk radio, but apparently one of my co-workers was blasting R&B and rap music.)

Back when I worked at CVS, DM came in one day while I wasn't there, disconnected the radio/iPod dock and said he didn't wanna see it again. Apparently some customers complained saying that the pharmacy shouldn't sound like a nightclub. (I usually put some rock or trance on or sports talk radio, but apparently one of my co-workers was blasting R&B and rap music.)

There is always going to be someone to complain and always someone to crash the party. Typically if you perform and do your job well though, it's amazing how much DMs can overlook. Complaints aren't as thoroughly investigated, outside vender ratios for ordering meds, etc. Obviously you shouldn't be on the radio relaxing when you have ****y inventory or 5 pages of red in the queue. But once you're in the flow and are going to work every day a change in pace is what you need to keep things going.

There is always going to be someone to complain and always someone to crash the party. Typically if you perform and do your job well though, it's amazing how much DMs can overlook. Complaints aren't as thoroughly investigated, outside vender ratios for ordering meds, etc. Obviously you shouldn't be on the radio relaxing when you have ****y inventory or 5 pages of red in the queue. But once you're in the flow and are going to work every day a change in pace is what you need to keep things going.

I agree, I've seen some stores get away with it forever while others have been told to get it out of the pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
The three months training is for your bladder. It takes about that long to train your body to not use the bathroom for 14 hour shifts. It also gives your body time to adjust to not eating for 14 hours at a time. It is a process that you must go through.

Hahahahahahahah!!!!

So, if you put in $16,500 maximum allowable by IRS to CVS 401k plan.. They will give you 5% max matching dollar to dollar of your salary (say $100k, 5% = $5000 matching employer contribution).

$16,500 employee contribution + $5000 employer contribution = $21,500/year into your 401k.

Wouldn't this exceed the allowable contribution of $16,500/year?
Is employer contribution not treated the same as employee contribution?

Last edited:
— Employer Matching Contributions —

The matching contributions made your employer are NOT counted toward your 401k contribution limits. Even if you contribute the maximum amount each year, your employer's matching contributions are in addition to these 401k limits.

Got my answer, nvm...

:clap:
Run from CVS as quick as you possibly can!!!!!!!!!!!

do you know if I get paid the full amount (per hour) or if I would get paid half during training period . Or does that all depend on whether you are licensed or not.

CVS offers you 40 training hours as a pharmacist. This means you get paid as a regular pharmacist.

District by district in the company though, they might have you work as a grad intern first (3 months x 40 hours) before making you a RPH. This was especially true in the last two years if you were not an intern of the cvs, had no clue how to use the CVS system, but can fullfill a need of CVS (overnight).

So, if you put in $16,500 maximum allowable by IRS to CVS 401k plan.. They will give you 5% max matching dollar to dollar of your salary (say $100k, 5% = $5000 matching employer contribution).

$16,500 employee contribution + $5000 employer contribution = $21,500/year into your 401k.

Wouldn't this exceed the allowable contribution of $16,500/year?
Is employer contribution not treated the same as employee contribution?

Are you sure their contribution isn't 100% of what you contribute for the first 5% of your salary. I.E. 100000 x 5%=5000. Assuming you contribute 15 % of your salary to your 401k-- 15% of $5000=750.00. I think(750.00) this is what they contribute. As cheap as they are and as many employees as they have there is no way they are throwing in 5K or 6K into every pharms 401K. The above is ususal contribution from most companies not 5% of your salary, not CVS anyway.

No it is 100% up to the first 5% of eligible pay. I have contributed 10% of my income since mid-May as an intern, and they have matched half of what I have put in. They post billions of dollars in profit and spend only a few million in matching, according to their year-end plan spending summary. Not every pharmacist (or other employee for that matter) is going to max out their contributions.

:laugh:

Did you guys play "best mix" stations or something like classic rock? Or just whatever you wanted?

:laugh:

Did you guys play "best mix" stations or something like classic rock? Or just whatever you wanted?

Pharmacist discretion. There were several stations we used one of which was a pretty straight arrow station but every once and a while you'd get a few..less than ideal songs. We'd just turn it down at that point when they were playing Ludacris and then they would get back to shindeown and coldplay and stuff.

We tried doing a pharmacy mix and that worked out well for a while though. Everyone got an ipod mix and hooked it up to a speaker until the speakers broke :(

They are putting me in the overnight shift, which is fine by me because Im in a highly desired area (and just hoping later on I can switch into daytime hours).

But my salary per hour seems low for an overnight shift. So should I try to negotiate getting 2 or 3 dollars more (per hour) or should I just be happy that Im in the area that Im at. And if I shouldnt negotiate my salary now, can I negotiate for a raise later on?

Ya I told myself I wouldnt do retail, and found it hard to get a hospital position. but in this economy Im just grateful to get an offer/job because I soo desperately need to pay off loans. But I just dont know if the company is using my desperation (for wanting a job) and thus paying me less than what I think I should get.

Are you sure their contribution isn't 100% of what you contribute for the first 5% of your salary. I.E. 100000 x 5%=5000. Assuming you contribute 15 % of your salary to your 401k-- 15% of $5000=750.00. I think(750.00) this is what they contribute. As cheap as they are and as many employees as they have there is no way they are throwing in 5K or 6K into every pharms 401K. The above is ususal contribution from most companies not 5% of your salary, not CVS anyway.

CVS matches your contribution dollar for dollar up to 5 % of your income:

Scenario One: Salary $100,000.00 per year. You elect to contribute 5% of your salary.

• Your Contribution $5,000.00
  • CVS Contribution $5,000.00
  • ---------------------------
  • Total Contribution $10,000.00
Scenario Two: Salary $100,000.00 per year. You elect to contribute 15% of your salary.

• Your Contribution $15,000.00
  • Total Contribution $20,000.00

They are putting me in the overnight shift, which is fine by me because Im in a highly desired area (and just hoping later on I can switch into daytime hours).

But my salary per hour seems low for an overnight shift. So should I try to negotiate getting 2 or 3 dollars more (per hour) or should I just be happy that Im in the area that Im at. And if I shouldnt negotiate my salary now, can I negotiate for a raise later on?

Ya I told myself I wouldnt do retail, and found it hard to get a hospital position. but in this economy Im just grateful to get an offer/job because I soo desperately need to pay off loans. But I just dont know if the company is using my desperation (for wanting a job) and thus paying me less than what I think I should get.

I do not know what the rate is for overnight RPH in you area but I think 60 dollars is fair depending on volume plus 6 dollars night differential. You should try to negotiate as much as possible in the beginning (worst they can say is no) but in terms of salary, it is merit based. For overnight rph, it is hard to get a good raise since it is harder for them to prove their "worth".

About companies paying you less, the rate is set for a certain market and is across the board. Previously, the rate always goes up a dollar each year in terms of starting salary. However for the last 2-3 years, the starting rate remained the same.

i left all my 401k as cash

is that bad?

i need to go see a financial adviser but
they are quoting me 900 bux...geez

CVS matches your contribution dollar for dollar up to 5 % of your income:

Scenario One: Salary $100,000.00 per year. You elect to contribute 5% of your salary.

• Your Contribution $5,000.00
  • Total Contribution $10,000.00
Scenario Two: Salary $100,000.00 per year. You elect to contribute 15% of your salary.

• Your Contribution $15,000.00
  • Total Contribution $20,000.00

I stand corrected. Apparently the people at CVS are good, maybe even great,to work for. A #1

lol i only do the 12 hour shift instead of the 14 hour....and you can sneak a lunch in there if you tell your techs to push everything ahead by a couple hours or just get all the crap done that you need to get done. I was at a store that does 400-500 a day and had a time for lunch..granted it was like only 10-12 minutes of me scarfing down a sandwich lol.

I have trained my bowels to go in the morning though hahaha...never want to **** at work.

EDIT:
PRx the 401k is good, max it out and get the match or just 5% to get match, and insurance is good too medical/eyeglass/dental

Last edited: