can you rank these programs for me please..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PJ07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

i am new to this forum and i am looking for some help with my rank list..
I am an IMG, interviewed at 6 places for Peds. What would you do if you have to rank these progs :

1. SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, NY
2. Albany, NY
3. Winthrop ,long island, NY
4. Maimonides, Brooklyn, NY
5. Children's NEUCOM at Akron, Ohio
6. Mount Sinai , Chicago

I would really really appreciate any help, it wont take much time,

I have only internet to my assistance .( Being an IMG I dont know much about the progs , just the interview day exp ).

Thanks a lot

PJ07

Members don't see this ad.

What are the most important issues for you? How can we rank these programs for you without knowing what you are looking for?

Dear All,

i am new to this forum and i am looking for some help with my rank list..
I am an IMG, interviewed at 6 places for Peds. What would you do if you have to rank these progs :

1. SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, NY
2. Albany, NY
3. Winthrop ,long island, NY
4. Maimonides, Brooklyn, NY
5. Children's NEUCOM at Akron, Ohio
6. Mount Sinai , Chicago

I would really really appreciate any help, it wont take much time,

I have only internet to my assistance .( Being an IMG I dont know much about the progs , just the interview day exp ).

Thanks a lot

PJ07

Man this is a dangerous question, I think ranking is such a personal thing its hard for someone else to do it for you. I know a bit about SUNY since I am a student here. I have also rotated at Maimo and think that you would be trained well from both places but SUNY >> Maimo in my humble opinion. If you would like me to elaborate I can..., but that is how I would rank those two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks for writing back..

Ok here is my approach and priorities :

I think university would be better , as i am looking for a more academic prog ; ( + is good thing - is bad things )

so downstate + big university+ i liked it thr + in NYC - dont know how they liked me
then Albany , + university + near to NYC - small prog (takes 10), - not in city

Now the community progs,

Winthrop (takes 16) + nice place n people + near NYC - please tell me

Maimonides (takes 24) + big name in community prog + in NYC - i didn't like it - residents seem stressed - very crampped space

Akron(takes 14) + nice people and place - is in Akron (difficult for spouse to get a job)

Chicago (takes 6) + is in chicago + ok place - really small prog.

1. If any one has better idea about any of these progs please tell me, i visited the places for a day and got just the glimpse..

2. Very unsure about maimo, liked other community progs better than it, but its a more famous name perhaps, my advantage - is in NYC. what should i do

3. I liked winthrop, any contradictory opinion..

4. any one knows any thing about mount sinai, chicago -

5. Akron was good, but not many IMGs, and the place disadvantage..

I know its s long mail, please go through it once and suggest/ comment ...

Another thing , does it make a difference if you submit your rank list earlier than later ?

Hey, thanks for writing back..

Ok here is my approach and priorities :

I think university would be better , as i am looking for a more academic prog ; ( + is good thing - is bad things )

so downstate + big university+ i liked it thr + in NYC - dont know how they liked me
then Albany , + university + near to NYC - small prog (takes 10), - not in city

Now the community progs,

Winthrop (takes 16) + nice place n people + near NYC - please tell me

Maimonides (takes 24) + big name in community prog + in NYC - i didn't like it - residents seem stressed - very crampped space

Akron(takes 14) + nice people and place - is in Akron (difficult for spouse to get a job)

Chicago (takes 6) + is in chicago + ok place - really small prog.

1. If any one has better idea about any of these progs please tell me, i visited the places for a day and got just the glimpse..

2. Very unsure about maimo, liked other community progs better than it, but its a more famous name perhaps, my advantage - is in NYC. what should i do

3. I liked winthrop, any contradictory opinion..

4. any one knows any thing about mount sinai, chicago -

5. Akron was good, but not many IMGs, and the place disadvantage..

I know its s long mail, please go through it once and suggest/ comment ...

Another thing , does it make a difference if you submit your rank list earlier than later ?
Makes no difference when you submit.

Looks to me like you have it pretty well worked-out already. You want academic>community, so start there. Also, from what you wrote it sounds like downstate was your favorite.

It's irrelevant whether you think they liked you or not. You rank them the way YOU want and then see how it falls out.

Rank low any program that has a major drawback that would be a problem if you matched there. (like the one in Akron where spouse can't get job)

Your impressions from your interview are about the best info you're going to get. Almost everyone else here is going on the same information. Besides, would you really make your decision to rank a place high or low based on a post on the internet? ;)

Hang in there and good luck! :)

Hey thank a lot..

My problem i

sorry about that ..
i am just looking for some information on maimonides ..because what i felt might be biased. (just couple of days before my int some people told me its cramped and blah blah.. so may be i was looking at it as a biased individual..)
Even though u go with an open mind, i guess it affects you in some way..

So, still waiting for more responses..

I went to Maimo. I loved that it was in NYC. And that they provide apartments, although there's a lottery. The new hospital units (only saw a completed adult ward but they said the peds one would be similar) should be nice. Awesome diversity which I'd enjoy, and it is a recognized name in the area. Relatively good interactions with the attendings during my day.

On the other hand - I was definitely turned off by the number of interviewees (29 and we were crammed!) I remember being told that if I did well, I'd have no problem getting strong references for fellowship...but will the support be there if I'm struggling? Poor ancillary service will be a pain. No night float which I'd prefer. I don't think the residents were totally overworked but I did get a "work hard" vibe. The hospital's in a relatively safe but kinda dreary/boring area, so that's a tradeoff if I were to take one of the provided apartments (Manhattan's close of course, but you still have to budget time to get there and I can see myself being too tired to bother). No idea how good/bad the experience at the affiliated hospitals will be. Lots of FMG's (not a big deal but notable compared to other places I went).

Overall, my feeling was that I could either find it ok and love being in NYC, or be miserable. I don't know if this helps, but there you go. :laugh:

Thank you so much..

I rotated at Maimo, and interviewed there. The residents are extremely well adjusted and a good cohesive group. There are cultural issues with respect to the community it serves, but really, that is the biggest disadvantage of the program. This issue is balanced out with the fact that you rotate through 3 different hospitals.
The attendings are approachable, excellent in thier disciplines and enthusiastic about teaching. The support that you will get from the Program Director and the peds office is second to none. They pride themselves on getting residents good fellowships.
I think that everywhere you go in NYC, the ancillary staff will be a pain.
If you are an FMG, I think that those are the things that you should be concerned about. If you have visa issues, those people in the office are the ones who you want helping you.
The new hospital will open soon, so the cramped conditions are improving as we speak.
Just my 2 cents

Thanks for your input NYC-girl. I should add that the ancillary service was also the greatest complaint at Jacobi, so it's not something you can get away from much in NYC it seems. :(

I hope I'm on Maimo's rank list at least since I'd absolutely choose it over going unmatched!