Can you retake classes for an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prince Aladdin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I get the grades I am expecting, I will be .1 short of a 3.0. Most SMPs say they require a 3.0.
Do SMPs allow you to retake classes and replace old grades? If not, does that mean I will have to wait until the next years cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

You still have to apply to med school after an SMP. It doesn't matter if you can get into an SMP with a sub-3.0 because you basically won't get into med school with a sub-3.0. Yes your cumulative undergrad GPA will still screen you out of med schools, even if you do great in the SMP.

From a sub-3.0 you don't get to set the terms or the schedule for getting into med school. The things you don't want to have to do are the things that matter the most.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
btw grade replacement for repeated coursework is only a thing for DO schools. MD schools count the old and new grade, regardless of what a transcript says.

You should definitely consider the 2 year masters programs at DO schools to remove some risk from your plan to go to med school.

If MD is what you want, you need to be looking at a second bachelors or similar, probably followed by an SMP. A multi-year mostly-science strong academic performance is still in your future and is the price of admission to a good med school, MD or DO.

DO NOT CONSIDER THE CARIB. Carib schools love students like you because you represent all the tuition and none of the risk. You'd flounder for 2-3 years and then be denied the privilege of taking Step 1.

You don't mention the MCAT. You should not take the MCAT until you have at least a year of 3.7+ work in mostly hard science. And all that needs to happen before you can APPLY to an SMP.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying I should pursue a second Bachelors before I apply to SMPs? Even with 4.0 coursework for 2 years, it would only raise my GPA to a 3.3.
Acing an SMP and having an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is not good enough? My one and only practice MCAT was 36 and I have solid ECs like EMT for 1000+ hours.

Are you saying I should pursue a second Bachelors before I apply to SMPs? Even with 4.0 coursework for 2 years, it would only raise my GPA to a 3.3.
Acing an SMP and having an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is not good enough? My one and only practice MCAT was 36 and I have solid ECs like EMT for 1000+ hours.
We require a sustained period of time in which you demonstrate victory over whatever caused your lack of success.

Are you saying I should pursue a second Bachelors before I apply to SMPs?
Yes. Depending what state you're in, and whether you're considering DO, you might be able to skip the SMP.

Getting another BS doesn't matter. Getting access to lots of science coursework, with registration priority and maybe some financial aid, and maybe deferred student loans, usually requires being enrolled in a degree-seeking program. Some smart folks get a campus job that allows them to take several classes per semester. The point is to get access to lots and lots of classes in which you can get A's.
Even with 4.0 coursework for 2 years, it would only raise my GPA to a 3.3.
Correct. There's nothing you can do to get your GPA into competitive range, but you simply must produce a multi-year mostly-science strong academic performance before you'll be taken seriously as a candidate for a US medical school. One year in an SMP doesn't accomplish this.
Acing an SMP and having an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is not good enough?
Correct for US MD, unless you are URM or a resident of a state that has lower-tier public medical schools and lets its low stats students in.

Review the web pages for the good SMPs such as Georgetown, Cincinnati, Loyola etc, and review the postbac forum (on SDN down under Interdisciplinary) to find out what your chances are of getting accepted at a good SMP with a 3.0 vs. a 3.3, and to find out what tends to happen after succeeding in those SMPs. Generally you're going to see three classes of SMP students:
1. those who are waitlisted at US MD schools prior to starting the SMP, with stats like 3.4/32, who can reasonably reapply MD during their SMP year.
2. those who have above a 3.0 and above a 30 going into the SMP, who aren't from California, and can apply MD after completing the SMP, with about a 50% chance of success.
3. those who should not have been accepted to an SMP at all, because they have not shown that they're ready for the work, as evidenced by a sub-3.0 and/or a sub-30. But SMPs do accept these students, because SMPs bear no responsibility for what happens to their grads. These students rarely do well in the SMP, and even if they do well, and wait to apply MD until after completing the SMP, their MD app cycle tends to be emotionally devastating, and they tend to have some success during a DO app cycle the next year.

Unless you can get into Temple or Tulane ACP (for which you are not qualified; one requires a 3.4 and the other requires a med school waitlist), your chances of getting into an SMP's host med school are 5% to 50%. SMPs at US MD schools tend to include DO and Carib students in their results, such as "80% of our students matriculate into medical school".

In summary, if your underlying academic assets of cuGPA and MCAT can get you past the initial review at US MD schools, you may then find your SMP work being considered as part of your overall story.
My one and only practice MCAT was 36
Practice exam scores are poorly predictive. If I had a dime for every SDN poster who talks about their practice scores being great and then gets real real quiet after their actual exam, I'd have a whole bunch of dimes.

Measure your MCAT readiness by your ability to answer any question in any prep material (such as Examkrackers) on any subject. Use practice exams to understand timing and to practice strategies.

and I have solid ECs like EMT for 1000+ hours.
Solid ECs are required. Solid ECs will not save you.

Sorry the news isn't better, but having been in your shoes, the less smoke that gets blown up your fanny the better.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Your overall GPA is important but having a few years of vastly upward grade trend will be more impactful than the overall GPA would appear. You dont need to complete a second degree as much as DIY your own postbacc. If you do well enough and have a good MCAT, that maybe sufficient to get in medical school without SMP. It would also make you vastly improved for DO route with grade replacement

Alternatively, you can contact SMPs and see if your current grade trends may take you as is. There is no standard application criteria for SMPs

Just to clarify, what exactly is a DIY post-bacc?

"Do it yourself."

Enrolling in the local CC or college and taking, say, Anatomy, Physiology and Histology coursework in the fall, and Micro, Biostats and Neuroscience in the spring.

Note that this is not a defined program given by a school, hence it's "DIY"

Just to clarify, what exactly is a DIY post-bacc?