Can you retake the dat without schools knowing your score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lake Powell Lvr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is that possible? I think the DAT is the only thing holding me back so I was thinking I might retake it over Christmas break before the schools send out their second wave of acceptances (I'm waitlisted at Marquette & Louisville and have an interview with Temple in a couple weeks). BUT since I wouldn't have a lot of time to study, I'm afraid I won't do as well as I'd like. So, can I take the DAT without sending the scores to anyone and then if I'm happy with my score, THEN send my scores out...? Does anyone have any advice also? Here's my stats -
-DAT
AA 17
PA 18
QR 14
RC 19
Bio 18
GC 17
OC 16
Total science 17
-GPA 3.4
-Science GPA 3.3
-Lots of volunteer, leadership, dental experience

What would you do if you were me?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

When your DAT score report is sent to the schools, it lists the scores of the last FOUR times you took the test. If you've taken the test more than four times, only your most recent FOUR scores are shown, BUT the total number of times you've taken the test is listed.

There is no way you can take the DAT without being held accountable for your score, and the schools find out once you send them that score report.

Vitae said:
When your DAT score report is sent to the schools, it lists the scores of the last FOUR times you took the test. If you've taken the test more than four times, only your most recent FOUR scores are shown, BUT the total number of times you've taken the test is listed.

There is no way you can take the DAT without being held accountable for your score, and the schools find out once you send them that score report.

But do you HAVE to send the score report? That's what I'm asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
NO! When you apply to take the DAT (160.00$ from ada.org) it has options to check on which school you would like to send your scores to. If you don't check the scores it doesn't get sent out. I would wait it out, if you do do bad and want to send your scores out nxt cycle b/c you don't get in (i think you will, be persisitent) then you will have to send out all the scores.

1992Corolla said:
NO! When you apply to take the DAT (160.00$ from ada.org) it has options to check on which school you would like to send your scores to. If you don't check the scores it doesn't get sent out...

As a previous comment pointed out - and it is correct - if and when you do have your scores sent out past attempts will be reported alongside the new ones. If you want to take the DAT it is true that you don't have to send those scores out, but be aware that they are part of your record with the ADA.