1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Can you retake the dat without schools knowing your score?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Lake Powell Lvr, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Lake Powell Lvr

5+ Year Member

Is that possible? I think the DAT is the only thing holding me back so I was thinking I might retake it over Christmas break before the schools send out their second wave of acceptances (I'm waitlisted at Marquette & Louisville and have an interview with Temple in a couple weeks). BUT since I wouldn't have a lot of time to study, I'm afraid I won't do as well as I'd like. So, can I take the DAT without sending the scores to anyone and then if I'm happy with my score, THEN send my scores out...? Does anyone have any advice also? Here's my stats -
    -DAT
    AA 17
    PA 18
    QR 14
    RC 19
    Bio 18
    GC 17
    OC 16
    Total science 17
    -GPA 3.4
    -Science GPA 3.3
    -Lots of volunteer, leadership, dental experience

What would you do if you were me?

Thanks in advance!

2. Vitae

Vitae Member
    5+ Year Member

When your DAT score report is sent to the schools, it lists the scores of the last FOUR times you took the test. If you've taken the test more than four times, only your most recent FOUR scores are shown, BUT the total number of times you've taken the test is listed.

There is no way you can take the DAT without being held accountable for your score, and the schools find out once you send them that score report.

3. Lake Powell Lvr

5+ Year Member

But do you HAVE to send the score report? That's what I'm asking.

4. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NO! When you apply to take the DAT (160.00$ from ada.org) it has options to check on which school you would like to send your scores to. If you don't check the scores it doesn't get sent out. I would wait it out, if you do do bad and want to send your scores out nxt cycle b/c you don't get in (i think you will, be persisitent) then you will have to send out all the scores.

5. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

As a previous comment pointed out - and it is correct - if and when you do have your scores sent out past attempts will be reported alongside the new ones. If you want to take the DAT it is true that you don't have to send those scores out, but be aware that they are part of your record with the ADA.