Can you start a GPR in one state and finish in another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAThasruinedme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi...I was wondering can you start your GPR in one state and finish in another. I know NY requires u to do a residency in order to be licensed in that state. But can someone start their residency in lets say NJ which does not require a residency and finish in NY and still be licensed to practice in NY or even NJ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi...I was wondering can you start your GPR in one state and finish in another. I know NY requires u to do a residency in order to be licensed in that state. But can someone start their residency in lets say NJ which does not require a residency and finish in NY and still be licensed to practice in NY or even NJ?

how would a GPR program switch states? Your residency would be for 1 year at the hospital/clinic.

As mentioned, a residency is a one year program.... you start the program and finish it. NY, Delaware, etc allow you to take an accrediated residency program in ANY STATE.... just be sure the program is willing to complete whatever forms the state wants. Some states are so vague, and require so much documentation, that the program may not want fill out forms.

The only cases I have heard of, of starting in one state and going to another for a residency was when the hospital closed down. The resident had to start the entire year over.