Florida Residency for In-state tuition in UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

europ321123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm finishing my studies as an undergrad in Pennsylvania and since anyway I'll have a gap year, I'm thinking about to moving to the state that has an in-state school. I have friends in the Tampa Area who can offer me cheap rent for a room, so I can get my driver's license and so on there. I know that FL has only one in-state school. But still, better than nothing in PA. I'm green-card holder and have no parents in the states to support me, so I want to try to decrease my possible dental degree debt...

I couldn't understand what make you a resident in FL. Does simply having rent and ID for 12 months is sufficient or like in Texas you need to work or run business there?

Sincerely,

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm finishing my studies as an undergrad in Pennsylvania and since anyway I'll have a gap year, I'm thinking about to moving to the state that has an in-state school. I have friends in the Tampa Area who can offer me cheap rent for a room, so I can get my driver's license and so on there. I know that FL has only one in-state school. But still, better than nothing in PA. I'm green-card holder and have no parents in the states to support me, so I want to try to decrease my possible dental degree debt...

I couldn't understand what make you a resident in FL. Does simply having rent and ID for 12 months is sufficient or like in Texas you need to work or run business there?

Sincerely,

To establish residency for tuition purposes at UF, you have to prove you have significant ties to Florida for at least 12 months prior and have no significant ties to any other state.

You need at least two of the following documents dated at least 12 months prior to when you are applying for in-state residency status:

-Florida voter's registration card
-Florida driver's license
-Florida State identification card
-Florida vehicle registration
-Proof of permanent home in Florida occupied as the claimants primary residence
-Proof of homestead exemption in Florida
-Official transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years, if the Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within the last 12 months
-Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a 12-month period

One or more of these documents is also helpful:

-A declaration of domicile in Florida in accordance with s.222.17, Florida Statutes
-Florida professional or occupational license
-Florida incorporation
-Document evidencing verifiable family ties to a Florida resident
-Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization
Any other documentation that supports your request for resident status
-Utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments
-Lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments
-Official state, federal or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida

So basically, move down, sign a lease, work full time, register your car, register to vote, get a new license, go to the county court to legally swear you’re a Floridian, wait 12 months, then hope the university considers you a Florida resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically, move down, sign a lease, work full time, register your car, register to vote, get a new license, go to the county court to legally swear you’re a Floridian, wait 12 months, then hope the university considers you a Florida resident.
Hi! Thank you for your reply! Does it require full time job for these 12 months? Also, how likely it is, like how difficult is it? I heard that Nevada grant residency even after a year of studies

Hi! Thank you for your reply! Does it require full time job for these 12 months? Also, how likely it is, like how difficult is it? I heard that Nevada grant residency even after a year of studies

I don’t think it requires a job, I suspect it is fairly straightforward as I know many people who were able to be reclassified.

Last edited: