can you use real names in your essays if u got permission from the people?

coralfangs

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
1,080
0
Status
for several essays, i talked to several veterans from my hospital and they told it's fine if i use their names in my essays

is that okay?
 

somemaybedoc

ms0
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
961
2
Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
By veteran's do you mean medical staff or patients? I would defenitely stay away from patient names.
 

MollyMalone

I'm a Score Quadruplet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
5,796
20
45
The anterosuperior branch of the inferomedial some
Status
I wouldn't, honestly. Are you going to include a disclaimer in every essay that you received permission to use their names? (To do so would be a waste of space in my opinion.) If not, then how would the reader know that you'd bothered to get the OK?

Just go with Mr. (first initial of last name). People are used to seeing it that way and it demonstrates that you have a good understanding of confidentiality.
 
About the Ads

Dr. Mojo

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2005
56
0
Status
What about just their first name? Is that also a no-no?
 

keepdreaming

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2006
157
0
Status
Pre-Medical
i used a friend's name in a story, should i just use a different name? and if i do, do i make a note saying the name has been changed?
 

Dr. Mojo

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2005
56
0
Status
MollyMalone said:
A first name is OK if you are referring to a child. Otherwise, you should use Mr./Mrs./Ms./whatever else.
If the person is an adult and I only know their first name, then what should I do?

TIA,
Moj
 

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
1,671
13
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
I used first names in my PS and had no problem. They were not the real names of the patients. Using Mrs. or Mr. plus a last name is very high on characters and not the best use of space for AMCAS.
 

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
3,625
3
34
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok, first of all, how does it help you you add real names? Just change them all to something else. Or maybe call them all something obviously changed like Mr. Smith and Mrs. Doe.

There is no added benefit to using a real name.
 

Lanced

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2005
288
0
Bay Area, CA
Status
DoctorPardi said:
Ok, first of all, how does it help you you add real names? Just change them all to something else. Or maybe call them all something obviously changed like Mr. Smith and Mrs. Doe.

There is no added benefit to using a real name.
True. I just made up names for everyone so it read smoothly but didn't cause any confidentiality issues. For the Dr.s names I used real names.
 

MollyMalone

I'm a Score Quadruplet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
5,796
20
45
The anterosuperior branch of the inferomedial some
Status
vtucci said:
I used first names in my PS and had no problem. They were not the real names of the patients. Using Mrs. or Mr. plus a last name is very high on characters and not the best use of space for AMCAS.
The suggestion was Mr. X or something similar, which is in fact a space savings over many first names. :)
 
OP
coralfangs

coralfangs

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
1,080
0
Status
what about real veterans as in those who fought in a war?
according to the cadets, it would be polite to address their full name and rank, that's too much info and ZERO confidentiality

well, i thought it would be better to use stuff like "Veteran P and Veteran M" instead of "Mr P and Mr M"?
what do u guys think?
 

g3pro

Dr. Mogley
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2003
1,337
6
Status
Because the essay is about you, it's a really good idea to talk about other people specifically.
 
OP
coralfangs

coralfangs

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
1,080
0
Status
g3pro said:
Because the essay is about you, it's a really good idea to talk about other people specifically.
dont be sarcastic over a question so general
your sarcasm is appreciated, thank you, it just made my day

it depends on the essays obviously
when essays ask u to name a situation or event in which u truly helped someone, it is important to give a certain amount of detail

beside, who says about writing a biography of some random patient in my personal essay?
it's just a problem between confidentiality and respect you have for those people
i mean, if u respect the veterans well enough, is it polite to use something as plain as Mr.?
you wouldn't address a policeman as Mr too, right?

well, after i finished those essays, i showed them to the veterans (out of respect), a cadet actually told me to include the veteran's full name with rank to make it formal and everything, that's why i asked the question on SDN
 

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
3,625
3
34
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
coralfangs said:
dont be sarcastic over a question so general
your sarcasm is appreciated, thank you, it just made my day

it depends on the essays obviously
when essays ask u to name a situation or event in which u truly helped someone, it is important to give a certain amount of detail

beside, who says about writing a biography of some random patient in my personal essay?
it's just a problem between confidentiality and respect you have for those people
i mean, if u respect the veterans well enough, is it polite to use something as plain as Mr.?
you wouldn't address a policeman as Mr too, right?
You're concentrating on all the wrong details here. The point is you want to write a good essay without destroying any privacy standards.

If you want to call them Captain Tom and General Bill do so. If you called them Mr. Tom and Mr. Bill, it would make no difference to adcoms. Just don't use their real names, and make up something to call them. If using millitary ranks is somehow important to your story, then use the ranks and make up the names.
 
OP
coralfangs

coralfangs

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
1,080
0
Status
DoctorPardi said:
You're concentrating on all the wrong details here. The point is you want to write a good essay without destroying any privacy standards.

If you want to call them Captain Tom and General Bill do so. If you called them Mr. Tom and Mr. Bill, it would make no difference to adcoms. Just don't use their real names, and make up something to call them. If using millitary ranks is somehow important to your story, then use the ranks and make up the names.
haha u know wut, u r right
i mean, it's not those cadets who would be reading my essay and making a final decision for the adcom
the hell with them
 
About the Ads