Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Can you work during school???

Discussion in 'Dental' started by mellow_yellow, Apr 29, 2007.

1. mellow_yellow

mellow_yellow Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    I have been reading how much time attending dental school requires and I was just wondering if its possible to work part-time (maybe 10-20 hours per week). I will be graduating as a nurse next year (from an acc. BSN program), but I truly want to be a dentist someday.

I know that after gaining some experience as a nurse, I could work per diem or do agency work part-time. To current/former dental students, I was wondering if its possible to work a shift or two on the weekends while in dental school. Dental school is expensive and I figured working would help me pay for the tuition (my fiance is a nurse and could take care of living expenses).

Any replies would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 12YearOldKid

Dentist
    You could find the time for a 12 hour shift on the weekend. But you probably won't want to.

4. MSDMD

MSDMD MSDMD

Dental Student
    I worked in the medical field prior to D-school, and I now work half days every saturday, and work spring breaks, christmas breaks, things like that as an adjunct to the loans; it works out pretty good, but it does get pretty tiring. It is definitely doable though, I am about to enter my third year and I have been doing this since just before school started.

5. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    i plan on tutoring when im in dschool. i work an additional 6 hrs/week tutoring making between $250-$300/week. some nice change if u ask me.. jb!:)

6. mellow_yellow

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for replying.

Are there any summer breaks in d-school?

7. MSDMD

MSDMD MSDMD

Dental Student
    we got summer between first and second year off, but we go to school each summer after that. I did work that entire first summer. This summer, we get off 2 weeks before the summer quarter, then 1 week at the end, I think it will be like that next year too (I am a D2 about to enter D3 year).

8. vaio

vaio Senior Member

i know this guy in my class who runs a business on the side....so i guess you can find time for work....for me, i cherish my free time, and would rather do other things than work...work on top of d-school would push me towards borderline insanity

9. TucsonDDS

TucsonDDS Senior Member

I am a nurse and I generally pick up 2-3 shifts a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. It really isn't all that difficult to find the time but it does suck giving up a weekend. The money covers the mortgage and some other bills so it is worth it. It was a little more difficult this year (2nd year) than during the first year but it isn't really all that bad. I work at a very well staffed hospital here in Buffalo and the job is pretty laid back/low stress. One problem with being an RN in school though is that I honestly think I know more about systemic disease than the people teaching us our Medically Complex class. That leads to a lot of biting my tongue. For example, I once missed a question about MI's. The question asked what cardiac markers would be elevated in an MI. I wrote in Troponin and CK/CKMB. The instructor said it was LDH, which I guess is technically true but has not used as a diagnostic tool for probably 30 years. Good luck with school, I think you will enjoy it, I know I do.

10. mellow_yellow

Pre-Dental
    Thanx for replying! I'm glad to hear that you have time to work as a nurse while in dental school. My dentist actually did the same thing years ago and thats how he paid for dental school. I guess I'm following the same path!!