Can you work during school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellow_yellow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading how much time attending dental school requires and I was just wondering if its possible to work part-time (maybe 10-20 hours per week). I will be graduating as a nurse next year (from an acc. BSN program), but I truly want to be a dentist someday.

I know that after gaining some experience as a nurse, I could work per diem or do agency work part-time. To current/former dental students, I was wondering if its possible to work a shift or two on the weekends while in dental school. Dental school is expensive and I figured working would help me pay for the tuition (my fiance is a nurse and could take care of living expenses).

Any replies would be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You could find the time for a 12 hour shift on the weekend. But you probably won't want to.

I worked in the medical field prior to D-school, and I now work half days every saturday, and work spring breaks, christmas breaks, things like that as an adjunct to the loans; it works out pretty good, but it does get pretty tiring. It is definitely doable though, I am about to enter my third year and I have been doing this since just before school started.

Members don't see this ad :)
i plan on tutoring when im in dschool. i work an additional 6 hrs/week tutoring making between $250-$300/week. some nice change if u ask me.. jb!:)

I worked in the medical field prior to D-school, and I now work half days every saturday, and work spring breaks, christmas breaks, things like that as an adjunct to the loans; it works out pretty good, but it does get pretty tiring. It is definitely doable though, I am about to enter my third year and I have been doing this since just before school started.

Thanks for replying.

Are there any summer breaks in d-school?

we got summer between first and second year off, but we go to school each summer after that. I did work that entire first summer. This summer, we get off 2 weeks before the summer quarter, then 1 week at the end, I think it will be like that next year too (I am a D2 about to enter D3 year).

i know this guy in my class who runs a business on the side....so i guess you can find time for work....for me, i cherish my free time, and would rather do other things than work...work on top of d-school would push me towards borderline insanity

I am a nurse and I generally pick up 2-3 shifts a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. It really isn't all that difficult to find the time but it does suck giving up a weekend. The money covers the mortgage and some other bills so it is worth it. It was a little more difficult this year (2nd year) than during the first year but it isn't really all that bad. I work at a very well staffed hospital here in Buffalo and the job is pretty laid back/low stress. One problem with being an RN in school though is that I honestly think I know more about systemic disease than the people teaching us our Medically Complex class. That leads to a lot of biting my tongue. For example, I once missed a question about MI's. The question asked what cardiac markers would be elevated in an MI. I wrote in Troponin and CK/CKMB. The instructor said it was LDH, which I guess is technically true but has not used as a diagnostic tool for probably 30 years. Good luck with school, I think you will enjoy it, I know I do.

I am a nurse and I generally pick up 2-3 shifts a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. It really isn't all that difficult to find the time but it does suck giving up a weekend. The money covers the mortgage and some other bills so it is worth it. It was a little more difficult this year (2nd year) than during the first year but it isn't really all that bad. I work at a very well staffed hospital here in Buffalo and the job is pretty laid back/low stress. One problem with being an RN in school though is that I honestly think I know more about systemic disease than the people teaching us our Medically Complex class. That leads to a lot of biting my tongue. For example, I once missed a question about MI's. The question asked what cardiac markers would be elevated in an MI. I wrote in Troponin and CK/CKMB. The instructor said it was LDH, which I guess is technically true but has not used as a diagnostic tool for probably 30 years. Good luck with school, I think you will enjoy it, I know I do.

Thanx for replying! I'm glad to hear that you have time to work as a nurse while in dental school. My dentist actually did the same thing years ago and thats how he paid for dental school. I guess I'm following the same path!!