1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Can your strength be your weaknesses and vice versa?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Optimistic, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was reading interview feedback last week and aperson was asked about his strength and weaknesses. As I was wondering what my strength and weakneses are I realized that my strengths are my weakneses and weaknesses are my strength. For eg I feel that Iam a compassionate and honest person , which is positive about me but I often face problemsbecause of these same qualities and others that I consider my strengths. Is that possible or does that mean that a person is just unclear about what his or her good and bad qualities are
    I hope my question makes sense.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Resident Alien

7+ Year Member

Your greatest strength is overcoming a potential weakness :D .

4. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Resident Alien:
    <strong>Your greatest strength is overcoming a potential weakness :D .</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very funny, but I dont think your response answered my question.

5. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with you: I definitely think it is possible for someone's strengths to be tied to his/her weaknesses. This is particularly the case if you demonstrate an extreme of a particular behavior/characteristic.

Take, for example, my dad: he's, quite simply, one of the nicest people I know. He has a great deal of empathy for other people--so much so, however, that it sometimes prohibits him from speaking his mind/expressing his opinions because he thinks he might offend someone.

It's interesting that you've made that observation though. It seems to me that you have a good understanding of who you are. :)

6. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with you: I definitely think it is possible for someone's strengths to be tied to his/her weaknesses. This is particularly the case if you demonstrate an extreme of a particular behavior/characteristic.

Take, for example, my dad: he's, quite simply, one of the nicest people I know. He has a great deal of empathy for other people--so much so, however, that it sometimes prohibits him from speaking his mind/expressing his opinions because he thinks he might offend someone.

It's interesting that you've made that observation though. It seems to me that you have a good understanding of who you are. :)

7. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Good job Optimistic! That is the point of interviewers asking that question. When they ask you for a weakness, it should really be a strength in disguise, otherwise you would be digging a hole for yourself.

Example:
    Interviewer: Dra Foxy, give me 3 weaknesses.
    Dra Foxy: 1) I am a perfectionist (good and bad quality)
    2) I worry a lot....about the safety of my family since Sept 11 (compassion)
    3) I stay up too late at night (good skill to have for med school)

see? Think of responses that are both good and bad and you'll be set. I wasn't that happy with mine, but I had to think of them on the spot. Oh well, it's ok :D

8. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks everyone,
    I feel better now. :)