SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Can your strength be your weaknesses and vice versa?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Optimistic, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Ohio/Newyork
    I was reading interview feedback last week and aperson was asked about his strength and weaknesses. As I was wondering what my strength and weakneses are I realized that my strengths are my weakneses and weaknesses are my strength. For eg I feel that Iam a compassionate and honest person , which is positive about me but I often face problemsbecause of these same qualities and others that I consider my strengths. Is that possible or does that mean that a person is just unclear about what his or her good and bad qualities are
    I hope my question makes sense.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Resident Alien

Resident Alien What? 7+ Year Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Cleveland
    Your greatest strength is overcoming a potential weakness :D .

4. Optimistic

Oct 16, 2001
    Ohio/Newyork
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Resident Alien:
    <strong>Your greatest strength is overcoming a potential weakness :D .</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Very funny, but I dont think your response answered my question.

5. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2001
    CA
    I agree with you: I definitely think it is possible for someone's strengths to be tied to his/her weaknesses. This is particularly the case if you demonstrate an extreme of a particular behavior/characteristic.

Take, for example, my dad: he's, quite simply, one of the nicest people I know. He has a great deal of empathy for other people--so much so, however, that it sometimes prohibits him from speaking his mind/expressing his opinions because he thinks he might offend someone.

It's interesting that you've made that observation though. It seems to me that you have a good understanding of who you are. :)

6. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2001
    CA
    I agree with you: I definitely think it is possible for someone's strengths to be tied to his/her weaknesses. This is particularly the case if you demonstrate an extreme of a particular behavior/characteristic.

Take, for example, my dad: he's, quite simply, one of the nicest people I know. He has a great deal of empathy for other people--so much so, however, that it sometimes prohibits him from speaking his mind/expressing his opinions because he thinks he might offend someone.

It's interesting that you've made that observation though. It seems to me that you have a good understanding of who you are. :)

7. Doctora Foxy

Doctora Foxy Meow 7+ Year Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Good job Optimistic! That is the point of interviewers asking that question. When they ask you for a weakness, it should really be a strength in disguise, otherwise you would be digging a hole for yourself.

Example:
    Interviewer: Dra Foxy, give me 3 weaknesses.
    Dra Foxy: 1) I am a perfectionist (good and bad quality)
    2) I worry a lot....about the safety of my family since Sept 11 (compassion)
    3) I stay up too late at night (good skill to have for med school)

see? Think of responses that are both good and bad and you'll be set. I wasn't that happy with mine, but I had to think of them on the spot. Oh well, it's ok :D

8. Optimistic

Oct 16, 2001
    Ohio/Newyork
    Thanks everyone,
    I feel better now. :)