Can your strength be your weaknesses and vice versa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optimistic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading interview feedback last week and aperson was asked about his strength and weaknesses. As I was wondering what my strength and weakneses are I realized that my strengths are my weakneses and weaknesses are my strength. For eg I feel that Iam a compassionate and honest person , which is positive about me but I often face problemsbecause of these same qualities and others that I consider my strengths. Is that possible or does that mean that a person is just unclear about what his or her good and bad qualities are
I hope my question makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Your greatest strength is overcoming a potential weakness :D .

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Resident Alien:
•Your greatest strength is overcoming a potential weakness :D .•••••Very funny, but I dont think your response answered my question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you: I definitely think it is possible for someone's strengths to be tied to his/her weaknesses. This is particularly the case if you demonstrate an extreme of a particular behavior/characteristic.

Take, for example, my dad: he's, quite simply, one of the nicest people I know. He has a great deal of empathy for other people--so much so, however, that it sometimes prohibits him from speaking his mind/expressing his opinions because he thinks he might offend someone.

It's interesting that you've made that observation though. It seems to me that you have a good understanding of who you are. :)

I agree with you: I definitely think it is possible for someone's strengths to be tied to his/her weaknesses. This is particularly the case if you demonstrate an extreme of a particular behavior/characteristic.

Take, for example, my dad: he's, quite simply, one of the nicest people I know. He has a great deal of empathy for other people--so much so, however, that it sometimes prohibits him from speaking his mind/expressing his opinions because he thinks he might offend someone.

It's interesting that you've made that observation though. It seems to me that you have a good understanding of who you are. :)

Good job Optimistic! That is the point of interviewers asking that question. When they ask you for a weakness, it should really be a strength in disguise, otherwise you would be digging a hole for yourself.

Example:
Interviewer: Dra Foxy, give me 3 weaknesses.
Dra Foxy: 1) I am a perfectionist (good and bad quality)
2) I worry a lot....about the safety of my family since Sept 11 (compassion)
3) I stay up too late at night (good skill to have for med school)

see? Think of responses that are both good and bad and you'll be set. I wasn't that happy with mine, but I had to think of them on the spot. Oh well, it's ok :D

Thanks everyone,
I feel better now. :)