Canada acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcleodm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know whether or not the combined residencies are recognized in Canada. I am and Canadian thinking about a combined internal medicine/family medicine residency and wondering if it would be accepted at all. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Combined residencies at this time are not recognized in Canada and thus you are unable to get VISA sponsorship for these types of programs. Hopefully, this will change in the years to come.

I believe the main issue with Canada up to this point is that the combined residencies are not technically ACGME accredited (the seperate programs are but the combine program itself isn't accredited).

For Med-Peds, the Medicine was accredited, the Peds was accredited, but Med-Peds itself was not accredited - it just had the blessing of ABIM and ABP. Starting 2007, Med-Peds must be ACGME accredited. The ACGME is starting with med-peds since it is the largest of the combined residency, but eventually it will turn to other combined fields.

How will this affect Canada, I'm not sure.

A quick search on the internet have shown that some Med-Peds graduates are able to obtain positions in Canada (ie Adult ID in Winnepeg, hospitalist in Toronto, etc) so it may be possible to with IM/FP combined program. But your best bet is to inquire with the authorities.

I believe the main issue with Canada up to this point is that the combined residencies are not technically ACGME accredited (the seperate programs are but the combine program itself isn't accredited).

For Med-Peds, the Medicine was accredited, the Peds was accredited, but Med-Peds itself was not accredited - it just had the blessing of ABIM and ABP. Starting 2007, Med-Peds must be ACGME accredited. The ACGME is starting with med-peds since it is the largest of the combined residency, but eventually it will turn to other combined fields.

How will this affect Canada, I'm not sure.

A quick search on the internet have shown that some Med-Peds graduates are able to obtain positions in Canada (ie Adult ID in Winnepeg, hospitalist in Toronto, etc) so it may be possible to with IM/FP combined program. But your best bet is to inquire with the authorities.

Can you provide more info on the grads that are working in Winnipeg and Toronto. How did they obtain the licence to practice. Did they write the RCPSC exams. Is the licence restricted. Re the one in Toronto, did the grad use the 'new' licensing policies of the CPSO.

The ACGME website now shows around 80 combined IM/Peds programs as being accredited. Does this mean the combined program is accredited, or is this the same situation as before where the IM program is accredited and the Peds program is accredited, but not the combined? Or, does the combined program have its own accreditation?

If someone can show that licensure is possible with the two plus two years - IM and Peds - then maybe the combined programs will be supported.
If someone can get a licensing authority to say in writing it will issue a licence for a grad of a combined program, this will go a long way in deciding whether or not to support the programs.