Combined residencies accepted in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossled

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know whether or not the combined residencies are recognized in Canada. I am and Canadian thinking about a combined internal medicine/ped residency and wondering if it would be accepted at all. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know whether or not the combined residencies are recognized in Canada. I am and Canadian thinking about a combined internal medicine/ped residency and wondering if it would be accepted at all. Thanks.

Recognized in terms of what?

For the purposes of obtaining a statement of need for a J1 visa they are not. You can look on the Health Canada statement of need website for details.

In terms of eligibility to take a Royal College Canada IM and Peds exams - likely not. The Royal College requires 4 years of IM for eligibility to take the exam. But you should contact them directly, they are very responsive to phone calls and email.

Recognized in terms of what?

For the purposes of obtaining a statement of need for a J1 visa they are not. You can look on the Health Canada statement of need website for details.

In terms of eligibility to take a Royal College Canada IM and Peds exams - likely not. The Royal College requires 4 years of IM for eligibility to take the exam. But you should contact them directly, they are very responsive to phone calls and email.

I looked into it before, and I know an extra year of training including fellowship would make you eligible to take the exam. I was just wondering if this would still apply for combined residencies.

Last edited:
I looked into it before, and I know an extra year of training including fellowship would make you eligible to take the exam. I was just wondering if this would still apply for combined residencies.

Probably not because you are doing much less internal medicine in a combined IM-Peds program (and much less pediatrics).

But that is just my opinion based on my personal experience... I suggest you contact the Royal College.