Canadian and Osteopathic schools in the US

Started by UBCvan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UBCvan

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys,

I'm trying to apply to some osteopathic medical schools in the the US and all of them require a reference letter from an MD or a DO.

do you guys know how to go about shadowing a physician here, particularly in Vancouver (where I live)?

I am currently volunteering at a hospital. Also i tried to go to 3 different hospitals couple years ago to shadow a doctor and they all told me no premed can shadow here in BC but can volunteer.Are there certain people I need to talk to? I know it's really easy to shadow a doc in the US and certain provinces in Canada but BC is not very friendly I guess.

thanks for the inputs.
 
hey guys,

I'm trying to apply to some osteopathic medical schools in the the US and all of them require a reference letter from an MD or a DO.

do you guys know how to go about shadowing a physician here, particularly in Vancouver (where I live)?

I am currently volunteering at a hospital. Also i tried to go to 3 different hospitals couple years ago to shadow a doctor and they all told me no premed can shadow here in BC but can volunteer.Are there certain people I need to talk to? I know it's really easy to shadow a doc in the US and certain provinces in Canada but BC is not very friendly I guess.

thanks for the inputs.

Because of insurance issues, shadowing is really an illegal thing to do in Canada. It is not as common to shadow in Canada as you may think. Just keep up your hospital volunteering, and maybe come across doc willing to give you a little guidance here and there, and would be comfortable eventually writing a ref letter.
 
Years ago I was able to spend a half day shadowing a DO who has an office in Victoria. Quick search reminded me of his name: James Church. Very nice fellow.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

Im in a similar situation and also go to UBC. There is a Canadian Osteopathic website for BC DO's if you google it. On there is a list of DO's practicing in Vancouver. I plan to email a few of them in a month or so to shadow in the summer