Canadian applicants to Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssmmssmm

Reaction score
Hi,

I know this question has come up infrequently but wanted to ask again given the recent changes to Step 1/ Step 2 and the new integrated ophtho programs.

The sample size is tiny so it's probably hard to comment on, but what would the realities of applying for ophtho be as a Canadian resident (i.e. would not need to do a PGY-1 year)?
- on program sites, it looks like it'd be under the "Fifth Pathway" program which from what I understand a) no longer exists and b) has a lot of stigma associated with it
- would it not be realistic at all (especially given that all clinical experiences would be in another country so LOR would have limited utility)
- do most FMG's end up doing research years post-residency and then apply for ophthalmology (i.e. would finish residency in Canada and then apply for research positions in the states?)
- with the p/f of Step 1, does this mean Step 2 scores will now be all the more important or does it make it much harder for FMG to apply
- it looks like the J1 visa is allowed up to 5 years (which would be enough time to do a residency and hopefully a fellowship to go back to Canada if visa restrictions arise), will programs screen you out for applying with a J1 visa? Alternatively, if a CMG has a green card, would that lessen the likelihood of them being screened out?

I know it's quite a long shot... wouldn't even consider it if there was a small chance I could try to do this in Canada but unfortunately no one transfers into ophthalmology programs as residents and reapplying to CARMS (our matching program) procludes us from the first round of matching (which is when all the ophtho positions fill up). Might not go down this route because it sounds like a mountain but would like to know the likelihoods of this happening. Would appreciate any information (anedcotal even would be great)!

Members don't see this ad.

Several qualified FMGs match each year into ophtho. Get good scores, publish papers and you are in with a chance.