Canadian Applying to US Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Griffisu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So after much thought and debate, I've decided to go back to school to pursue what I originally wanted to do, Pharmacy. I'm a graduate of 2009 from the University of New Brunswick, attaining my Bachelor's of Business Administration with a major in Finance and minor in Economics. I have recently been accepted into their Science program as well, in hopes to take the needed prereqs to get into Pharmacy. The big question is this though, where do I begin if I plan on applying to US schools?

The reason I'm aiming towards US schools is because of the competition in Canadian schools. My cumulative GPA from my BBA isn't the steller number needed to even be acknowledged for a Canadian school. I'm looking at schools somewhat close to my area (in the province of New Brunswick). I've only really looked at Husson so far. Any ideas and thoughts on what schools to look at?

I'm really at a loss on where to even begin, I'm not sure if there is any difference in application process either. I understand it is going to be much more expensive as well, so I'm wondering what kind of financing route I should look at as well.

Any help is truly appreciated and thank you.
http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm
This is a list of pharmacy schools in the US. Most use PharmCAS, where you do one central application and it will send it to all of those schools. However, you will have to do supplemental applications to each school you apply to as well. I know that every school does not use pharmcas, but a lot of them do (schools in texas generally don't but that's a long way NB).
The link has info for all pharmcas schools - things like if they accept international students, pre-reqs, # of letters of recommendation, average PCAT score, class size, etc. They also say the accreditation status of the school. Husson is very new and are not fully accredited yet. I am not sure of the reputation of the school so you may or may not want to trust them. They have pre-candidate status and should be able to be fully accredited after they graduate their full class. I am not saying not to apply to a new school such as Husson, but you have to research the school and their reputation and decide whether they will give you a god education.

As far as schools close to NB - it doesn't seem like there are too many.
There is Albany's satellite campus in Vermont. There is also MCPHS in Massachusetts. Other than those schools you'll probably have to apply to schools farther away. There are schools in NY and Pennsylvania .
Just spend time looking over the link for info on pharmcas schools. It can give you a lot of info. For schools that do not use pharmcas, you will have to search for those school's website individually.

Members don't see this ad :)
im sorry if this is a really stupid question. I'm also from Canada. What is Pharmcas? Also, when I registered for the pcat through pearson, it asked me whether I have a student security number. I don't. and it says that if I don't Pharmcas will not recognize my score?? i don't realy understand... help please?

PharmCAS is the site that desmoulins posted. Think of it as like a central applying system. You send your information off to them and apply to different schools through them. Think of it as your best friend for applying to schools haha.

In regards to the student security number, not really sure because I'm a year or so away from taking the PCAT, someone with a little bit more know how can maybe clear that up.

When you say student security number do you mean social security number?

Since you don't have SSN, you should contact pharmCAS and PCAT/Persson.
here is a thread form a few years ago. I would assume that it is still the same policy. I am too lazy to look up the numbers though, so go onto their websites to see them.
http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=375691

Here is the instructions for fall 2010 enrollment. I do not think the contact info should have changed too much.
http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions200910.pdf