Canadian Applying to US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ychahrour

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Canadian student planning to apply to the US.

I plan to have around a 3.4-3.5 GPA, taking my DAT next November so hoping to get at least 20+, and I have extensive amount of extracurriculars and shadowing experience.

My first year of undergrad was really poor (2.3 GPA).. So I decided to take an extra year in my second year to redo some pre-reqs (so they can be above a B) and take some easy electives to boost my GPA.. so overall I am a year behind in my program.

Honestly, my extras are amazing. I started 2 university clubs catering towards the healthcare field, I am on the pre-dental committee, I am an exec member in an organization me and some friends started that connects young entrepreneurs to attract mentorship opportunities in my community, I have been working as a pharmacy technician for 3 years, and I have around 300+ shadowing hours at 2 dentists.

Overall, My extracurriculars are really strong. (Pm if you want the full list), my GPA would be around a 3.4-3.5 at the time of admission, and hoping my DAT score would be around a 20+.

That being said, what are my chances of getting into an American dental school? Considering I would be an international student and my GPA isn't as high as most international students, can my extracurriculars, personal statement, and letter of recommendations potentially make up for that?

Also, The reason for my low GPA is only due to my first year of university studies. All my other years have been an A average or above. (3.85+) . Would they also take that into account?

I would appreciate all your thoughts and opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

So I decided to take an extra year in my second year to redo some pre-reqs (so they can be above a B)
So just keep in mind that the application system does not replace grades. So if you got a D the first time and then a B the second time, they'd be counted as a C towards your GPA. Does the range you posted (3.4-3.5) take into account this fact?
That being said, what are my chances of getting into an American dental school? Considering I would be an international student and my GPA isn't as high as most international students, can my extracurriculars, personal statement, and letter of recommendations potentially make up for that?
No one can chance you without your DAT scores. Everyone hopes for a high DAT score, but that doesn't always happen. Other stuff like ECs, PS, and LORs can only take you so far, and they can't really make up for academic stats. Schools want people that will be able to handle the rigorous curriculum and not drop out.
Also, The reason for my low GPA is only due to my first year of university studies. All my other years have been an A average or above. (3.85+) . Would they also take that into account?
Yes, upward trends always help, but again the overall outcome matters too.

It'd be best to update this once you've taken the DAT and ask for advice then. Good luck!

Hey! Thanks for the reply! & Yeah I made sure I added both grades to the GPA calculation.. It kind of sucks tho, if they replaced the old mark with the better mark I'd be at a 3.8 right now haha
& you're right, I'll have to wait till I take my DAT, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user