This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonnnnnnnnn123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm considering applying to IAUPR this summer (it's cheaper than the alternative american schools). There's a lot of info about pass rates for the NBEO but not much on Canadian boards-- what are the steps required coming back to Canada?
And does anyone know the success rates of iaupr students passing the canadian boards, compared to the american boards?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy!

To take Canadian boards (OEBC) there's 3 parts:
1. written
2. OSCE (clinical/skills)
3. licensing.

I'm currently a 4th year Canadian student at ICO (c/o 2019) and I took the written one in November 2018.

Written Canadian Boards is similar to NBEO Part 2 (which was written December 2018) which makes studying for NBEO 2 easier if you plan to take both. There isn't really a lot of info on Canadian boards (even what you study for - guideline is really vague) and I relied a lot on alumni (class above me) and KMK (a boards prep group) to streamline and focus my studying. I didn't study as hard as I did for NBEO 1 and just went over all the KMK NBEO 2 materials once. Canadian boards is not super difficult but it's hard since you're essentially going into the test not knowing what to expect. I even talked my Waterloo friends and they didn't really know what was expected either.

I don't really know the pass rates for Canadian boards either. I'm glad to know I passed on my first attempt but I don't really have any classmates telling me they failed either (who would?). Also, the print out for Canadian boards just states you passed or failed - there's no raw score on the sheet. As such I don't know if I did well or barely scraped by on the exam - though I left feeling more confident that I passed opposed to NBEO 1. However, I also know a few people who passed NBEO 1-3 with no problems but failed Canadian boards couple times - this is all anecdotal though.

I do believe that those who have the concepts nailed down for NBEO 1 do really well for NBEO 2 since NBEO 1 is more fact-based written test and NBEO 2 is diagnosis/treatment/management (so building on knowledge from NBEO 1). Since Canadian boards is similar to NBEO 2, I think it's important to pass NBEO 1 to do well on Canadian boards.

If you are concerned about cost of schooling: Waterloo is your cheapest option! Its WAYYY cheaper tuition than the US in CAD.

Bottom line: not much info on Canadian boards (even as a student) but I would say pass rates are likely correlated with pass rates on NBEO.

Last edited: