canadian BSc applying to australian med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balladocta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I just graduated last month with a Bachelor of Science and I applied to Melbourne and Sydney as my two preferences. My gpa is actually a 3.4, which is mediocre for med applicants in Canada, but converting it according to the GAMSA point system, my gpa (on a 7.0 scale) now stands at 6.47 for the Melbourne system (x3 for most recent year and etc i believe) and 6.34 for the Sydney system (all gpa years are equally weighed). My mcat score was 29P, 9 10 10 across. What are my chances? Or should I try at least one more year in Canada and the States first?

Members don't see this ad.

eighed). My mcat score was 29P, 9 10 10 across. What are my chances? Or should I try at least one more year in Canada and the States first?

That depends on your personal situation. Search the forum to get a better idea of what other people have faced before you.

If you are not fussed about what you specialize in when you finish, Australia is a good option. If you want to do ophthalmology and only want to be in Canada for the rest of your life, then keep trying in Canada.

Alternatively, you could go to Australia and keep applying to Canada.

Sydney is just so bloody expensive now.... if your parents can foot the bill, then go for it. Otherwise, you can join my $200,000 of debt club and be in my situation where I am ****ting in my pants about the interest.

That depends on your personal situation. Search the forum to get a better idea of what other people have faced before you.

If you are not fussed about what you specialize in when you finish, Australia is a good option. If you want to do ophthalmology and only want to be in Canada for the rest of your life, then keep trying in Canada.

Alternatively, you could go to Australia and keep applying to Canada.

Sydney is just so bloody expensive now.... if your parents can foot the bill, then go for it. Otherwise, you can join my $200,000 of debt club and be in my situation where I am ****ting in my pants about the interest.

Agreed :thumbup: All depends on your personal situation.