canadian carib grad gunning for ophtho with visa issues

Started by brendang
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brendang

aka the retina geek
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
after emailing ALL 120 some-odd US ophtho residencies, only 1/4 to 1/3 stated that they would provide an H1B visa to someone in my position... J1's are apparently are freely given. What my question is concerns a bias when it comes to getting an interview with a program... If a program would sponser both J and H1 visas, would they tend to favor inviting the student (assuming all else was equal) with the simpler J1 request than the H1 request? I really want to gun for ophtho and feel like I have a good shot, but if i'm only going to apply to the 30-or-so residencies that accept H1 visas, I better make sure they'll give me a fair shake... if i have to, i'd rather apply to all of them and worry about the J1-associated crap when I'm done residency...

brendan.
 
For something as difficult to get into as optho, I say that you tell them that you are happy with a J-1. If you match, you can always ask them about the H-1. Worst case scenario is that you would end up working in an underserved area for a couple of years to get your J visa waiver.
 
Why are there fewer programs who like H1 - is it because it is too much paperwork for them, or because they want people to go home after their training & not compete for jobs?
 
paperwork, expense and hassle. Also there is some economic liability issue if you drop out, I am not sure of the details.