canadian carib grad gunning for ophtho with visa issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brendang

aka the retina geek
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
after emailing ALL 120 some-odd US ophtho residencies, only 1/4 to 1/3 stated that they would provide an H1B visa to someone in my position... J1's are apparently are freely given. What my question is concerns a bias when it comes to getting an interview with a program... If a program would sponser both J and H1 visas, would they tend to favor inviting the student (assuming all else was equal) with the simpler J1 request than the H1 request? I really want to gun for ophtho and feel like I have a good shot, but if i'm only going to apply to the 30-or-so residencies that accept H1 visas, I better make sure they'll give me a fair shake... if i have to, i'd rather apply to all of them and worry about the J1-associated crap when I'm done residency...

brendan.

Members don't see this ad.

For something as difficult to get into as optho, I say that you tell them that you are happy with a J-1. If you match, you can always ask them about the H-1. Worst case scenario is that you would end up working in an underserved area for a couple of years to get your J visa waiver.

Why are there fewer programs who like H1 - is it because it is too much paperwork for them, or because they want people to go home after their training & not compete for jobs?

paperwork, expense and hassle. Also there is some economic liability issue if you drop out, I am not sure of the details.