Canadian Citizen wanting to practice in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kam_14_12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so i've been doing some research re: the topic of practicing in US as a few other people have posted similar threads, but I have some unanswered questions.

I'm a Canadian citizen who completed undergrad last year and currently I'm taking a year off and have applied to a couple of masters programs in Ontario while I contemplate whether US MD or DO is the best option for me. As the thread title states, I want to practice in US for family reasons and DO NOT intend on coming back to Canada for practice. I've seen that US DO's are able to match through either AOA or NRMP and practically match to their option 1 residency. Assuming I go for DO, after completing residency what is the likelihood of finding either paediatrics 0r otolaryngology residency that provides the H1B visa? Would getting an MD increase the likelihood of finding either of these residencies that provide the H1B visa? Those are my only two questions for now :)

Members don't see this ad.

By the time you graduate, all US residencies will be accredited by the same body, the ACGME.
Pediatrics residencies will be accessible to graduates of either degree, if history can used as a guide.
Otolarygology will be very difficult for MD and very, very difficult for DO.

Many programs do not want the hassle of applying for visas and do not offer them.
Some support J1, some H1B, others will support either. This can change from year to year.
Odds of getting a residency that supports an H1B are much higher for those choosing a peds residency than ENT, mostly because there are far more peds programs and a greater chance of success in the match..

By the time you graduate, all US residencies will be accredited by the same body, the ACGME.
Pediatrics residencies will be accessible to graduates of either degree, if history can used as a guide.
Otolarygology will be very difficult for MD and very, very difficult for DO.

Many programs do not want the hassle of applying for visas and do not offer them.
Some support J1, some H1B, others will support either. This can change from year to year.
Odds of getting a residency that supports an H1B are much higher for those choosing a peds residency than ENT, mostly because there are far more peds programs and a greater chance of success in the match..

Yes that makes sense. Peds residencies are far more numerous than ENT. So once ACGME has taken over as the body for US residency accreditation, does that mean that DOs will have to compete with MDs for even primary care residency positions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that makes sense. Peds residencies are far more numerous than ENT. So once ACGME has taken over as the body for US residency accreditation, does that mean that DOs will have to compete with MDs for even primary care residency positions?
All residencies will be open to both degrees.
There is a good chance that previously DO residencies may have a preference for DO's, though (and vice versa).

Hey everyone, so i've been doing some research re: the topic of practicing in US as a few other people have posted similar threads, but I have some unanswered questions.

I'm a Canadian citizen who completed undergrad last year and currently I'm taking a year off and have applied to a couple of masters programs in Ontario while I contemplate whether US MD or DO is the best option for me. As the thread title states, I want to practice in US for family reasons and DO NOT intend on coming back to Canada for practice. I've seen that US DO's are able to match through either AOA or NRMP and practically match to their option 1 residency. Assuming I go for DO, after completing residency what is the likelihood of finding either paediatrics 0r otolaryngology residency that provides the H1B visa? Would getting an MD increase the likelihood of finding either of these residencies that provide the H1B visa? Those are my only two questions for now :)

Visa sponsoring institutions change/update their policy regularly. So it's going to be hard to predict whether a current H1B program in (say) peds will stay H1B sponsoring in 4+ years' time, especially with Trump et al in power. That being said, assuming the status quo in 4+ years time, I would say your chances for Peds on the H1B is "fair" to "good", depending on your strength as a candidate. If you are on the DO for Canadians FB group, you'll see the document freely published regarding this year's match. One person got peds on the H1B visa (I know n=1 and the sample size sucks, but I suspect it was due to lack of interest in peds as a specialty this year). Somehow, there were over a dozen Canadians who went into internal medicine programs (very hot this year, most of which were the H1B I believe).

As for ENT, even with the merger, formerly AOA programs will probably have a preference for DOs -there were actually 2 Canadians who matched into AOA ENT programs on the J1 visa a year ago. However, the J1 means you'll need to come back to Canada at some point for 2 years. But who knows, you are still 4+ years away, maybe ENT of formerly AOA programs will start H1B sponsorship at some point in the future (although realistically unlikely due to fierce competition from US grads).

Visa sponsoring institutions change/update their policy regularly. So it's going to be hard to predict whether a current H1B program in (say) peds will stay H1B sponsoring in 4+ years' time, especially with Trump et al in power. That being said, assuming the status quo in 4+ years time, I would say your chances for Peds on the H1B is "fair" to "good", depending on your strength as a candidate. If you are on the DO for Canadians FB group, you'll see the document freely published regarding this year's match. One person got peds on the H1B visa (I know n=1 and the sample size sucks, but I suspect it was due to lack of interest in peds as a specialty this year). Somehow, there were over a dozen Canadians who went into internal medicine programs (very hot this year, most of which were the H1B I believe).

As for ENT, even with the merger, formerly AOA programs will probably have a preference for DOs -there were actually 2 Canadians who matched into AOA ENT programs on the J1 visa a year ago. However, the J1 means you'll need to come back to Canada at some point for 2 years. But who knows, you are still 4+ years away, maybe ENT of formerly AOA programs will start H1B sponsorship at some point in the future (although realistically unlikely due to fierce competition from US grads).

I suppose with Trump being in power you really can't predict anything at all re: international relations and visa programs. Not a topic for this forum though lol. I was wondering where I could find more information about both the J1 and H1B visas? I thought I saw something on the COMSA webpage the other day, but just looking at it now I can't seem to find it. And I will also take a look at said document on the FB page as well. Thanks for all your help so far!

Having gone through med school, residency, fellowship, and now about to starting my first attending job and going through the green card sponsorship, I highly advise you to choose the H1b route if you have any intention of staying in the US. You will have to weight your specialty of choice carefully. Your options will not be as broad as a Canadian than your US med school peers, unfortunately, it's just how it is.

Having gone through med school, residency, fellowship, and now about to starting my first attending job and going through the green card sponsorship, I highly advise you to choose the H1b route if you have any intention of staying in the US. You will have to weight your specialty of choice carefully. Your options will not be as broad as a Canadian than your US med school peers, unfortunately, it's just how it is.
Do you mind sharing how the process of green card sponsorship works? Are you limited in the jobs you can take because of the need for sponsorship? Still a 2nd year student, weighing the options.

You'll also need a statement of need from health Canada for a J-1, which most programs will offer you since it's cheaper on their part. They've put a lot of restrictions out lately on he

out of curiosity...what happens to the AOA people on J1 when they have to come to Canada? Isn't AOA not fully recognized here?

Do you mind sharing how the process of green card sponsorship works? Are you limited in the jobs you can take because of the need for sponsorship? Still a 2nd year student, weighing the options.

It's complicated. If you're on a J1, you cannot get a green card (even if you marry a US citizen) until you return to Canada for 2 years or find a VA or underserved area to sponsor you. Look up J1 waiver. If you're on an H1b, you will have to find a cap-exempt position (academic or academic-afficliated), since most residencies end at the end of June, but if you want to work for a cap-subject job, you have to apply by the first week of April in order to start in October (so you wouldn't be able to work for July, Aug, or Sept). For the green card, an employer has to go through recruitment to demonstrate to the US government that there aren't any qualified US citizens for the job. Look up PERM. It's all complicated and convoluted, but more difficult on the J1 if you want to stay in the US after training. If you want to return to Canada, then no biggie, although with the J1 statement of need business, there may be additional strings attached (like working in a certain area in Canada) that I'm not too familiar with.

Reactions: 1 user
For a Canadian who finished training in Canada (fellow/res), would they still need to go through the H1b/J-1 pathways to work in the US? Assuming they had all USMLE's to be board-eligible

For a Canadian who finished training in Canada (fellow/res), would they still need to go through the H1b/J-1 pathways to work in the US? Assuming they had all USMLE's to be board-eligible

Yes, they would. You need a valid work-status to work in the US. Only way to do that is with a J1, H1b, green card, and maybe a TN (although I'm not sure if physicians qualify for TN visa).

Yes, they would. You need a valid work-status to work in the US. Only way to do that is with a J1, H1b, green card, and maybe a TN (although I'm not sure if physicians qualify for TN visa).
I looked this up recently, physicians CAN work on TN if he is TEACHING/RESEARCHING, but he is not allowed to practice medicine

I'm a Canadian citizen, currently working as a Family Doctor in the States under H1B.
I am an IMG, did residency in the States under J1. I got my J1 waiver approved during my third year of residency and my employer filed for my H1B prior to my first day of work.
I am board certified in Family Medicine in the US and i also completed my LMCC.

It is getting harder to get sponsored directly with the H1B for residency training. You need to have completed your USMLE Step 3 and most people don't have the time to do that before the match (since you need your MD diploma). You may have to lose 1 year and apply for the following year. Hence, most freshly graduated IMGs are under the J1. ( need MCCEE and statement of need).

Most jobs are not H1B capped, as many hospitals are non profit, and a lot of areas are underserved (again, not capped).

To get a green card your employer needs to sponsor you. And this takes time. They need to prove that no US applicant has filed for your job first then you get your PERM. Most often, doctors get hired under the H1B and the employer starts the PERM after the physician has started working.

It was my understanding that the employer could not file for the green card until the 3 year waiver thing is over with.therefore, A renewal for another 3 year H1B is typically done before the green card is filed in order to allow the physician to work continuously.

Does anyone know if Canadian citizens that are US qualified internist/hospitalist can come back to Canada and practice without having to do residency again?

So this is something I've searched online quite a bit, but been unable to find any answers to.

For ENT, were Canadian residencies are not considered board-eligible (even though the # of years are the same....anyway...), does this mean that if you do a Canadian ENT residency you can never write the US boards and practice in the US? Or would a fellowship make you board-eligible?

Asking because I love ENT, but it has a terrible job market in Canada. Will be finishing up the USMLEs regardless, but wondering if anyone has heard of Canadian ENTs being able to practice in the US?