Canadian DAT vs. American DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abe101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one do you think is harder? Also if I were to do the Canadian DAT, will American schools accept or, or would I have to do the American DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Which one do you think is harder? Also if I were to do the Canadian DAT, will American schools accept or, or would I have to do the American DAT?

I haven't taken the American DAT before, but I have many friends who have taken both. All of them have done better on the American (1-8 points higher on each section); but keeping in mind they still did well on both. You will see a lot more high 20s being handed out in America than you will in Canada. People can/do get high 20s in Canada....but not many. The last time i took the Canadian, I think maybe 13 people had a 23+ AA/TS.

I would personally say that the Canadian is easier to study for, simply because there isn't any organic chem or quantitative reasoning (but if those are your strong subjects, then I suggest you take the American). But also remember that there is a carving portion you'd have to practice (although schools won't really count it).

I think the biggest thing for you would be: if you're not a Canadian citizen or didn't go to undergrad in Canada...then there would be no point in writing the Canadian. It might make you seem like you're just avoiding the American sections. But to answer your question, many American schools do accept the Canadian DAT (mostly the private schools).