Canadian degree holder going to US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macroBUDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone is a Canadian, or know of any Canadians going to the US to work? I am aware that each state has its own set of licensing rules. I know all around, it is difficult to find a job in general, but my questions are:

1. Do American chains prefer US/state students than Canadians degree holders as well would it be helpful to have a PharmD vs a BscP?
2. Is there somewhat of a knowledge gap between Cdn pharms vs US pharms.
3. Anything else you found different between working/finding work in Canada vs US?

Anything anyone knows would help though, so please share! Thank you!

A little bit about myself - I'm a PY1 PharmD student in Canada right now and just wondering how things a different down south.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone is a Canadian, or know of any Canadians going to the US to work? I am aware that each state has its own set of licensing rules. I know all around, it is difficult to find a job in general, but my questions are:

1. Do American chains prefer US/state students than Canadians degree holders as well would it be helpful to have a PharmD vs a BscP?
2. Is there somewhat of a knowledge gap between Cdn pharms vs US pharms.
3. Anything else you found different between working/finding work in Canada vs US?

Anything anyone knows would help though, so please share! Thank you!

A little bit about myself - I'm a PY1 PharmD student in Canada right now and just wondering how things a different down south.
Don't think there is big gap. Most State Boards of Pharmacy require that you graduate from an ACPE accredited college of Pharmacy, pass NABPLEX, and corresponding state law exam. Some states may have other requirements. Below is a list of Canadian Colleges of Pharmacy accredited by ACEP:
AB 999 University of Alberta, Edmonton Y
BC 999 The University of British Columbia, Vancouver Y
MB 999 University of Manitoba, Winnipeg Y
NF 999 Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's Y
NS 999 Dalhousie University, Halifax Y
ON 999 University of Toronto Y
QC 999 Univeriste Laval, Quebec Y
QC 999 University de Montreal, Montreal Y
SK 999 University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon