Canadian FP's who've moved to the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAA437

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian trained family physician (med school and 2-year FM residency, and without USMLE/COMPLEX/FLEX/etc). My background and licensure are not an issue *knocks on wood*

I'd ideally like to work January-April/May in a warm US state such as Arizona and return to Canada during the warmer months.

Does anyone have experience with this practice type? Any particular considerations beyond ensuring reciprocity? How did you find it? Any warnings or encouraging words? What should I seriously consider that may be overlooked?

N.B. The goal is lifestyle freedom and enjoyable weather with a long-term outlook; maximizing remuneration isn't the goal. I'm single without dependents or financial constraints that would impact this decision.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a CMG/AMG/IMG? those distinctions make a difference when applying for state licenses

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian trained family physician (med school and 2-year FM residency, and without USMLE/COMPLEX/FLEX/etc). My background and licensure are not an issue *knocks on wood*

I'd ideally like to work January-April/May in a warm US state such as Arizona and return to Canada during the warmer months.

Does anyone have experience with this practice type? Any particular considerations beyond ensuring reciprocity? How did you find it? Any warnings or encouraging words? What should I seriously consider that may be overlooked?

N.B. The goal is lifestyle freedom and enjoyable weather with a long-term outlook; maximizing remuneration isn't the goal. I'm single without dependents or financial constraints that would impact this decision.

Thanks in advance!
You will need to do a pgy3. You need 3 years of FM training to get your US abfm license. Some states may accept mccqe1/2 but others may require usmles fo be fully board certified.

You'll also need to be able to get a Visa.

You do not need to do a pgy-3.

You need to look into the individual requirements for whatever U.S. state you are interested in practising in.

Most states require 2 years of post-graduate education in either the U.S. or Canada to get a full licence, and that's it.

Some only require 1 year, and a few require 3 years, but not many.

You will likely have to take the USMLEs.

If you want to become ABFP (the equivalent of the CCFP), there is a pathway for Canadians to do so.

But you may or may not need to do so, depending on your specific practice location, credentialing particulars with U.S. insurance companies, and whether or not you want hospital privileges.

You do need permission to work in the States, just like with any other country.

Reactions: 1 user