Canadian Full Licensure Dentistry ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

overseas

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi friends ..i am a international dentist form Asia..I would like to know how to apply for DDS program or how to get Full Licensure to practise Dentistry in Canada.? :(
is there a system like to submit our papers to a similiar agency like the ECE in the US.? i hve no idea what to do :mad:
Do help me out guys..any web links--how to go with the dream of setling in Canada..?? :confused:

Thankyou all very much guys...looking forward for all your answers..

Members don't see this ad.

overseas said:
hi friends ..i am a international dentist form Asia..I would like to know how to apply for DDS program or how to get Full Licensure to practise Dentistry in Canada.? :(
is there a system like to submit our papers to a similiar agency like the ECE in the US.? i hve no idea what to do :mad:
Do help me out guys..any web links--how to go with the dream of setling in Canada..?? :confused:

Thankyou all very much guys...looking forward for all your answers..

I can help :) . I'm a dentist practicing in Canada. I've met numerous foreign students who had dental school training abroad. You would have to inquire about the "Qualifying Program" and the NDEB . This website is useful:

http://www.ndeb.ca/en/non_accredited/qualifying_programs.htm

In regards to chances of being admitted to a dental school (if you are obliged to return to school), I believe McGill University's dental faculty has half of its positions reserved for out of province/foreign students. Other dental schools have less positions for foreign trained dentists.

Good luck! :)

Smilemaker100 said:
I can help :) . I'm a dentist practicing in Canada. I've met numerous foreign students who had dental school training abroad. You would have to inquire about the "Qualifying Program" and the NDEB . This website is useful:

http://www.ndeb.ca/en/non_accredited/qualifying_programs.htm

In regards to chances of being admitted to a dental school (if you are obliged to return to school), I believe McGill University's dental faculty has half of its positions reserved for out of province/foreign students. Other dental schools have less positions for foreign trained dentists.

Good luck! :)

My co-resident was from McGill. You are incorrect. There are no "quotas" at McGill. Yes there are many out of provinces, but not foreign students. In fact in his class there was not a single foreign trained dentist. There were 2 international students but both did the entire 4 year curriculum. He told me that there are a few schools that have an international dentist training program that is 2 years long. McGill is not one of them I believe Toronto has the largest. My cousin went through applying to all of them, and ended up at NYU - Canadian schools are much more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
TKD said:
My co-resident was from McGill. You are incorrect. There are no "quotas" at McGill. Yes there are many out of provinces, but not foreign students. In fact in his class there was not a single foreign trained dentist. There were 2 international students but both did the entire 4 year curriculum. He told me that there are a few schools that have an international dentist training program that is 2 years long. McGill is not one of them I believe Toronto has the largest. My cousin went through applying to all of them, and ended up at NYU - Canadian schools are much more competitive.

You're wrong, there are "quotas" at McGill but they aren't blatantly discussed (especially for the competitive programs such as medicine,law,dentistry).I did two degrees at McGill and my dental degree elsewhere. I came to know enough people who applied and were rejected/accepted in those competitive programs who informed me about these quotas. The Quebec government is actually involved with these quotas. For instance, now they accept more French Canadians into McGill's med school than they did in the past.

Yes, Canadian dental schools are more competitive. No arguments there.

Smilemaker100 said:
You're wrong, there are "quotas" at McGill but they aren't blatantly discussed (especially for the competitive programs such as medicine,law,dentistry).I did two degrees at McGill and my dental degree elsewhere. I came to know enough people who applied and were rejected/accepted in those competitive programs who informed me about these quotas. The Quebec government is actually involved with these quotas. For instance, now they accept more French Canadians into McGill's med school than they did in the past.

Yes, Canadian dental schools are more competitive. No arguments there.

Overseas, I suggest you re-post in the international dental section, you’ll get more feedback there. The link that Smilemaker posted is a good start for you. From my experience (I did a thorough search for a relative of mine who was foreign trained), your best bet for a qualifying program (where you would do 2 or more years of dental school over again) in Canada would be Dalhousie, Toronto or Western Ontario. When I contacted McGill they told me they hadn’t accepted anyone into a qualifying program in over 5 years – and the last person accepted was a medical student. They accepted that person because someone in the dental class took a year of absence. So there is no yearly reserved seat – if one opens up you’re in luck. But chances are it’ll go to a resident of Canada or U.S. And again, you have a better shot in the U.S. (NYU, BU, UPenn). Once you finish there, you would be eligible to sit for the Canadian boards.
Smilemaker, again I’ll state here that there are very few to no foreign trained dentists at McGill. This quota you supposedly speak of is pretty miserable (=0.5/year) see above post. Yes, there are many out of provincers - agreed, but that’s a separate discussion than foreigners - perhaps this is where our disagreement stems from - huge difference between out of provincer and foreigner - i think overseas only cares about their chance as a foreigner. You are giving foreign students a false sense of hope here by grouping the two together. There are many Americans at McGill (pretty sure McGill has the highest percentage of American students and faculty in Canada). I went there for 2 years as an undergraduate – I’m from Connecticut. I have a good friend still at McGill med school. Med school admissions is an entirely separate discussion. Yes there always seems to be 4-5 from the US. Again this is not true for the dental school (I wish it was, I’d go there in a heartbeat!) In Quebec, Canada, and here in the US there is a severe shortage of primary care physicians and rural ones as well. So I wouldn’t doubt that the med school may have formed a quota for rural, francophone students. But again, this does not apply to the dental school, and even if it did, that would decrease the # of acceptance for foreign dentists and out-of-provincers. Doesn't apply to the law school either.
Overseas best of luck to you. Contact schools directly and ask what percentage of students are from where. You’ll be surprised some are quite open with statistics. Don’t rely too much on rumors, he-said she said stuff, the telephone game, etc.

http://www.alumni.mcgill.ca/?id=MzM3

Currently out of the 127 dental students (30'ish/year):
81 are from Quebec, 46 from other provinces, 0 international.

If you want to do graduate, post-doc or residency/fellowship there's a much better chance.