Canadian going to the PHILippines for med...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring doctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is that a good idea?? i'm a canadian that did pre-med in another country..i tried to get into med in CAnada and thy're giving me a hard time.. the school i want to get into has 500-600 applicants a year but only 85 slots.. ridiculous..we need more doctors why not open up more slots... anyway my chances of getting in even with a good MCAT score is not even 50/50.. so bec. of uncertainty i plan to go the phil for med... but my question is how open is CAnada to foreign graduates who want to do residency??

Members don't see this ad.

Not very open.
Few if any americans can get residency here too.
Your best chance is to go to med in australia / america / carib and then try coming back here post residency if you really want to work in canada..
Try harder to get better stats.. its the only way! :(

If your GPA and MCAT scores are good you would have a better chance if you applied to US schools. This way you could apply to the US Match or CARMS when you graduated. Foreign (non-US) schools have a limited opportunity to try the US or Cdn Match!