Canadian grad going to the US

Started by APHL
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

APHL

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, guys,

I am in my 4th year in my pharmacy degree at Canada. I would like to go to the US and get a US licensure in pharmacy, preferably in Washington state. Would anybody kindly tell me where to look for a pharmacist recruiter so that I can get more information over the process and hurdles? Thank you very much.
 
Hi, guys,

I am in my 4th year in my pharmacy degree at Canada. I would like to go to the US and get a US licensure in pharmacy, preferably in Washington state. Would anybody kindly tell me where to look for a pharmacist recruiter so that I can get more information over the process and hurdles? Thank you very much.

Don't.
 
I`m not even sure the degrees are equivalent. Would be interested to see what the hurdles are.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Washington is very Canadian friendly.
http://www.doh.wa.gov/hsqa/professions/Pharmacy/documents/pharmlicreqs.pdf
Research your brain out on the TN-1 visa (assuming you're a Canadian and not a US citizen).

The current Canadian degree is heavily based on the current US PharmD (and has been since 1994), so you won't be very out of place when taking their tests. You may have to get used to their idiotic systems of measurement.

I'd say get your TSE, TOEFL, NAPLEX and MPJE done and then start cold-calling everyone you can for your internship hours.

If you manage to find a Canadian working down there (I'd assume there are a lot), they should be able to lead you in the right direction.
 
You'll still have to take the FPGEE since you graduated after 2004. To take the FPGEE, you must have a five year degree.
 
You'll still have to take the FPGEE since you graduated after 2004.
Don't listen to genesis09. Read my link instead, my approach is evidence-based, rather than a knee-jerk opinion on what someone thinks should be the case.

To take the FPGEE, you must have a five year degree.
The Canadian degree does meet the five year degree requirement, so this comment is irrelevant and adds nothing to the discussion not already known.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, SomeGuy,

Your advice and assurance are very helpful. I would just like to know if I should cold-call all internship opportunities. They probably include Walgreen, CVS, right? Do they have specific recruiting managers/coordinators? I have read somewhere in the forums, there are HR companies recruiting foreign grads, who are they and how should i get in contact with them?

Thanks
 
Thanks, SomeGuy,

Your advice and assurance are very helpful. I would just like to know if I should cold-call all internship opportunities. They probably include Walgreen, CVS, right? Do they have specific recruiting managers/coordinators? I have read somewhere in the forums, there are HR companies recruiting foreign grads, who are they and how should i get in contact with them?

Thanks

Cast the net as wide as possible. Talk to the big chains, and the independents. I'd imagine that the State Board should have a registry of pharmacies like in Canadian provinces, if not, try emailing the state board for one. If that doesn't help, it's the Yellow Pages for you.

I'm reluctant to deal with recruiters too much unless actually available for work. I think they'll be more likely to work with you if you have all of your papers already in order, but hey, no harm in trying. There's nothing about NAPLEX they can tell you that you don't know already methinks.

The only thing you might need to be concerned about is the visa for internship, I'm not sure if you can do it with a TN-1. Hopefully they don't have to sponsor you for an H1b.

So I guess I gotta ask: Why do you want to move to the USA so badly? I guess Seattle isn't a bad place, but wouldn't they be saturated? Or are their "depressed" wages still comparative to ours?
 
I don't know quite why I want to head to the US. Everybody has been telling me US is the land of opportunity and blah, blah, especially from my dad. And getting an extra license to a country of 300 million people sounds interesting. I am just trying to explore all my options in terms of career.

I guess reading from this board, the US is in quite a bad shape and the licensing process requires me to go through a period of internships with relatively depressed wages. I am better off sticking to Canada. Thanks, SomeGuy. and are you working in the states right now? You sound like a Canucks to me, too.
 
...the licensing process requires me to go through a period of internships with relatively depressed wages.
It's only 300 hours in WA, which is 7.5 weeks at full-time. That's nothing if you're planning to stay there for a while.

Although their wages may be a bit depressed right now, their taxes are way lower than BC's, and just about everything costs less.

Ironically, with a TN-1 visa, you're not allowed to conduct business, so not so much for being a land of opportunity 🙂

I'm a canuck that's researched this all quite thoroughly. It seemed like a better move when US$1 bought you CAD$1.58, instead of the near even levels it is today. Work for a couple years at ~=CAD$170k/year, and then bring it all back for an impressive start to your life here!
 
One of my friend has TN1. TN1 is practically the same as H1B.

You can only work for employer who sponsor the visa. You can not conduct a business. You can only do passive investment (stock, renting a house, no daytrading).
 
One of my friend has TN1. TN1 is practically the same as H1B.

You can only work for employer who sponsor the visa. You can not conduct a business. You can only do passive investment (stock, renting a house, no daytrading).

About the only similarity between the TN1 and H1b is that they're both employment visas. Other than that, there are substantial differences. The TN1 gets approved at the border on your way in, typically for 3 years, with merely an employment letter, whereas the H1b has a lottery process, requires the employer to prove that they couldn't find a USian to fill the spot, etc. The H1b can only be renewed for a max # of years, and then you have to leave for a year, whereas the TN1 can practically be renewed forever.

Oddly, with the H1b, you're allowed to say to customs that you're planning on becoming a permanent resident, or a citizen, while you'd have to be much more careful with the TN1, as it's not supposed to be permanent (at least, not officially).
 
It's only 300 hours in WA, which is 7.5 weeks at full-time. That's nothing if you're planning to stay there for a while.

Although their wages may be a bit depressed right now, their taxes are way lower than BC's, and just about everything costs less.

Ironically, with a TN-1 visa, you're not allowed to conduct business, so not so much for being a land of opportunity 🙂

I'm a canuck that's researched this all quite thoroughly. It seemed like a better move when US$1 bought you CAD$1.58, instead of the near even levels it is today. Work for a couple years at ~=CAD$170k/year, and then bring it all back for an impressive start to your life here!

Seriously, just stay where you're at up there and keep sharpening your ice skates... :meanie:
 
Not to diss the US, but economically speaking, we're in better shape. Twenty-odd years ago, I cleared most of the paperwork hurdles for going state-side; I'm half-American, and have family in, among other places, San Francisco, one of my favourite cities in the world.

And I wish we could swap Obama for Harper, who continues in his bully-boy agenda of systematically destroying Canada's reputation in the world as a reasonable and moderate nation.

But live state-side these days? Not such a good idea, IMO.
 
Not to diss the US, but economically speaking, we're in better shape. Twenty-odd years ago, I cleared most of the paperwork hurdles for going state-side; I'm half-American, and have family in, among other places, San Francisco, one of my favourite cities in the world.

And I wish we could swap Obama for Harper, who continues in his bully-boy agenda of systematically destroying Canada's reputation in the world as a reasonable and moderate nation.

But live state-side these days? Not such a good idea, IMO.

How much income tax do you pay?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much income tax do you pay?

On last year's tax return, income taxes were 17% of my gross pay. On top of that, I pay $450/year in health premiums. Which go to subsidize those, you know, death panels.
 
On last year's tax return, income taxes were 17% of my gross pay. On top of that, I pay $450/year in health premiums. Which go to subsidize those, you know, death panels.

For realz?

I think it's time the US attack Canada and colonize y'all. Strip you of your natural resources like moosehead beer and oil..force you to play college football. We'll take your women then put men to work..

👍
 
For realz?

I think it's time the US attack Canada and colonize y'all. Strip you of your natural resources like moosehead beer and oil..force you to play college football. We'll take your women then put men to work..

👍
😱

Taking our beer would be a crime against humanity!!

Seriously, though, it wouldn't work because we're skinny - we can outrun ya.
 
😱

Taking our beer would be a crime against humanity!!

Seriously, though, it wouldn't work because we're skinny - we can outrun ya.

I don't know...the last time I was in Montreal...I noticed everyone smoking... my god..I've never seen so many smokers..
 
I don't know...the last time I was in Montreal...I noticed everyone smoking... my god..I've never seen so many smokers..
http://www40.statcan.gc.ca/l01/cst01/health26-eng.htm for life expectancies by province
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/060613/dq060613a-eng.htm (Scroll to the bottom), for smoking rates by province
The Quebeckers, some of the heaviest smokers in Canada, still have at least an average life expectancy.

I think it's because they're all skinny, or because they shack up like no one else.