Canadian ... help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite001

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been around these boards for a little while now and am actually thinking of getting serious about things. I graduated from U of Waterloo in honour's psychology (GPA about 81 or 3.7). I've got no background in science and will likely take one of those post-bacculerate programs in the US. I've got a few concerns though.
First, I've never taken any SAT, GRE, etc. They arn't required in Canada. Can I still do a post-bacc and then go to med/dental school or will I have to take one of these first. Would this vary from school to school?
Another issue is financing. I'm working right now and will be able to afford one of the post-bacc programs. However, even if I got accepted through a joint acceptance to a dental school, I'm wondering how I will be able to finance it. Some schools say that foreigners aren't able to get loans. Would a Canadian bank finance it? What about the Canadian Military financing it? Any suggestions? Especially other Canucks who went to the states.

Dentite001

Members don't see this ad.

28 views and not one reply. Come on ...

No replies because this is a double post. If you post this in the pre-dent forum, there is no reason to post this in the dental forum too. Most dental SDNers check both forums.

Members don't see this ad :)
JRogoff said:
No replies because this is a double post. If you post this in the pre-dent forum, there is no reason to post this in the dental forum too. Most dental SDNers check both forums.

Really? Okay. Thanks.

dentite001 said:
Hey,

I've been around these boards for a little while now and am actually thinking of getting serious about things. I graduated from U of Waterloo in honour's psychology (GPA about 81 or 3.7). I've got no background in science and will likely take one of those post-bacculerate programs in the US. I've got a few concerns though.
First, I've never taken any SAT, GRE, etc. They arn't required in Canada. Can I still do a post-bacc and then go to med/dental school or will I have to take one of these first. Would this vary from school to school?
Another issue is financing. I'm working right now and will be able to afford one of the post-bacc programs. However, even if I got accepted through a joint acceptance to a dental school, I'm wondering how I will be able to finance it. Some schools say that foreigners aren't able to get loans. Would a Canadian bank finance it? What about the Canadian Military financing it? Any suggestions? Especially other Canucks who went to the states.

Dentite001

Hey,

I'm at Upitt dental and from Canada. I can't really answer your question regarding requirements for post-bacc programs, but I can help you out in the finance department. I take out loans from CanHelp, it is part of TERI, and its purpose is to help out Canadians studying in the US. You can also take out a loan from a Canadian bank, but I don't think it is sufficent to cover the total cost. As for military, I'm pretty sure that you have to be in a Canadian school to be eligible.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Hot-n-Aml

unless the post bacc programs require an SAT or GRE, i dont think you have to take those - just the DAT or MCAT to get into dental or med