Canadian High School STudent Seeks Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woohyukee11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright well it's been decisions time for us high school student as well and I didn't receive any good news down from the states. Waitlisted at Stanford and rejected at JHU, Duke, and Brown. Ohh well.
I know that I'm capable of getting into good schools in Canada though, such as Mcgill, Mcmaster, etc.
I know that I want my final destination to be at an MD/PhD program, preferably at powerhouse research grad schools in the states or at UofT or Mcgill. I've been participating in minor research projects since my high school years and I just know that clinincal and research work is meant for me (although this may change hehe).
The question is do MD/PHd programs in the states like to accept Canadians that graduate from CANADIAN univs? I've heard of canucks getting into US Md/Phd programs but the majority of them went to undeergrad institutions in the states...
Should I be taking a gap year and retry for an undergrad education in the states?

Members don't see this ad.

woohyukee11 said:
Alright well it's been decisions time for us high school student as well and I didn't receive any good news down from the states. Waitlisted at Stanford and rejected at JHU, Duke, and Brown. Ohh well.
I know that I'm capable of getting into good schools in Canada though, such as Mcgill, Mcmaster, etc.
I know that I want my final destination to be at an MD/PhD program, preferably at powerhouse research grad schools in the states or at UofT or Mcgill. I've been participating in minor research projects since my high school years and I just know that clinincal and research work is meant for me (although this may change hehe).
The question is do MD/PHd programs in the states like to accept Canadians that graduate from CANADIAN univs? I've heard of canucks getting into US Md/Phd programs but the majority of them went to undeergrad institutions in the states...
Should I be taking a gap year and retry for an undergrad education in the states?

I'm a canadian who will be attending Dartmouth's MD/PhD next year (then again, I did undergrad here, have lived here since my sophomore year of high school, and am a permanent resident of the US and will be a citizen in about a year). When I was interviewing at Dartmouth, however, I met a 3rd year MD/PhD student who was Canadian and had graduated from McGill. You need to look into non-MSTP MD/PhD programs since MSTPs are NIH-funded and only American permanent residents/citizens qualify for the grants.

You need to look into non-MSTP MD/PhD programs since MSTPs are NIH-funded and only American permanent residents/citizens qualify for the grants.

This isn't neccesarily true, depending on the program they may be able to use private funding, even at an MSTP. I met a canadian girl from U Manitoba on an MSTP interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Canadian, graduated from U of Toronto and have been accepted to US MSTP's, but only applied to those with endowment funds for non-US citizens external to NIH grants.

I'm a Canadian; did undergrad in Canada. Now, I'm a 1st year MD/PhD (MSTP) in the States as an international student with full funding. It's definitely doable and you don't have to be from a "famous" Canadian university, like McGill or Toronto, UBC, etc. Just make sure you apply for the NSERC research assistanships for a couple of summers to get some research.
As far as I know, Columbia and Wash U have funded spots for international students. A couple of other schools do too but you have to find that out on your own.
Definitely do not wait for another year! Going to a US school won't make you a resident/citizen of US, so you'll still be an international student when you apply for MD/PhDs. Unless, of course, you marry an American or something like that.
Good luck!