Seeking guidance on MD-PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

script89

Reaction score
Hi,

I am an international student and wish to apply to MD/MD-PhD programs.

Below is a brief description of my profile:

-Graduate in Biotech Engineering, GPA 8.77

-Post-graduate in Marine Biotech Engineering, GPA 8.44

-Post-Graduate Diploma in Multi-Omics Technology, GPA 10

Note: The GPAs are on a 10 point scale. As per the freely available online convertors, I get 3.51 in graduation, 3.38 in post-graduation and 4 in post-graduate diploma on a 4-point scale. These scores put me at disadvantage despite the fact that these are difficult to score GPAs in my country. I also read that agencies like WES (World Education Services)) do not offer a level playing field to international candidates due to the difference in the grading schemes. So, I’m not sure how to deal with this and whether my GPAs meet the required standards.

-No MCAT yet

-Research experience of around 4 years in both clinical (areas like sleep and neurocognition) and basic science (molecular biology, developmental biology, proteomics). 3 first author, 1-second author and 1 mid-author research papers in the review process).

- Technical expertise

• Wet lab skills: Molecular biology techniques like gene library construction (Gibson, conventional cloning); Cell culture; Transfection & immunostaining of cells; Fluorescence microscopy; i-TRAQ labelling based proteomics using mass spectrometry; Microbiological methods like preparation of agar plates & inoculation of broths; Growing bacterial cultures in various media.
  • Computational skills: NGS data analysis; Mass spectrometry-based proteomics and metabolomics data analysis; R programming.

-Process underway to work as a volunteer in a hospital and to get shadow experience.

Note: I joined PhD after my post-graduation and left it a year later due to personal reasons. I have a gap of 7 months before joining PG-Diploma in which I was preparing for various entrance exams.

I have the following questions:

1. What are my chances of selection for MD/MD-PhD programs?
  2. I’m more interested to apply for MD programs but as most of them do not have funding options for international students, I’m switching to MD-PhD. Although I understand there’ll be few, are there any MD programs that do have funding opportunities for international students?
  3. I'm 32 now. So, in case I go for MD-PhD, it becomes 1 year (prereqs)+8 years (MD-PhD) = 9 years. Will my age be a factor in my selection? In terms of future career prospects, is it a good decision to move forward in this direction?
  4. Since 8 years of MD-PhD is a long period, is there an option to come out of the program after completion of MD?
Looking forward.
Thanks for giving my concerns a patient read.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Low. You have a foreign degree, and most schools require a US/Canadian bachelor's degree. Even if you have a US degree, the fact that you quitted a PhD program will raise questions. Lastly, your US GPA equivalence is also low (MD/PhD median GPA is ~3.8).
2. Google is your friend.
3. Remember to take into account residency training as well. That will be somewhere around 3-7y after graduating with your MD. Not sure if people will factor in age, but they will definitely ask about it.
4. Yes (kinda); they prevent this by doing 2y MD - 4y PhD - 2y MD. Best you can do is get the first 2 years for free, then pay the other 2 yourself. That being said, I don't condone this behavior.

I think your best bet would be to go to medical school in your home country (which would be close to free), then apply for residency training in the US if that's where you want to practice.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you meet the credit requirements. Most if not all US med schools require a significant amount of coursework from a school in the US or Canada.

As to your question about funding for an MD program- there is basically no funding for US students, so don't count on that. Most people take out significant loans to pay.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Low. You have a foreign degree, and most schools require a US/Canadian bachelor's degree. Even if you have a US degree, the fact that you quitted a PhD program will raise questions. Lastly, your US GPA equivalence is also low (MD/PhD median GPA is ~3.8).
2. Google is your friend.
3. Remember to take into account residency training as well. That will be somewhere around 3-7y after graduating with your MD. Not sure if people will factor in age, but they will definitely ask about it.
4. Yes (kinda); they prevent this by doing 2y MD - 4y PhD - 2y MD. Best you can do is get the first 2 years for free, then pay the other 2 yourself. That being said, I don't condone this behavior.

I think your best bet would be to go to medical school in your home country (which would be close to free), then apply for residency training in the US if that's where you want to practice.
Thanks very much for all the answers. I will look out for options in my country and elsewhere.

I don't think you meet the credit requirements. Most if not all US med schools require a significant amount of coursework from a school in the US or Canada.

As to your question about funding for an MD program- there is basically no funding for US students, so don't count on that. Most people take out significant loans to pay.
Thanks very much for the answers. I will explore other available options.