Quantcast

Canadian International Loans Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shirochan88

The Canadian
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Greetings,

I am a Canadian Student thinking of studying Med Abroad since its so hard to get in Canada. I'm doing my Research now and to go to a Carab Med school I will need at least 35000-40000 a year which is cheaper then Australian and Irish schools.

other then

Line of Credit which is a max of about $150,000
OSAP for ontario residents its - $210 maxium supply

casue it seems like I"ll need 250000+ worth of loans this is not including living expenses

if anyone can offer suggestions for loans please let me known, this will help other canadians as well as me

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping some Canadians can come in and help you out. I know there are lots in the Caribbean, so I'm guessing there is a way, but I don't know what that is. One thing I'm confused about, though, is why you would need $250k just for tuition. My understanding was that the big Caribbean schools cost somewhere around $30 to 40k/year.

shirochan88

The Canadian
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is simply an estimate of all expenses,

flight, books, living, food etc.. and tuition

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it has to come from family/friends or a US Citizen as a cosigner for US loans.

Other than that, we can hope that CanHelp will come back before I finish.

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to school officials at the "Big 3" Canadians generally outperform the other students. Their words.

Makes sense since standards are higher at Canadian med schools and there are more qualified applicants that are turned away due lack of space.

I should really caution Canadians about bowwowing 200K+ to go to a caribbean school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=573904

Funny there's no official data on what percentage of canadians in the carab actually repay their loans.

JPR22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to school officials at the "Big 3" Canadians generally outperform the other students. Their words.

Makes sense since standards are higher at Canadian med schools and there are more qualified applicants that are turned away due lack of space.

True, Canadian med schools have higher acceptance standards, thus many of those not accepted still are very qualified, thus tend to perform well when in medical school. Sadly this doesnt correlate to being able to repay loans.
There's still residency - with its associated visa issues, in addition to the increasing competition for residency spots.

Anectdotally, Ive known of a handful of canadians who went to caribbean schools, didnt match, and are know defaulting on their loans in Canada.