Canadian Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hirurg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to McGill, Memorial and Dalhouse in Canada. What are the chances of getting in there for an american? How about therr ratings in the residency match game? I will take any info.
Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

Those medical schools appear in the MSAR (Medical Schools Admissions Requirements). Your advisor may have a copy in her/his office or look in your college library. You can also buy your own copy. Your premd advisor should know where to order it.
You will also to have what they require for admission which may differ somewhat from US med schools.

In general, few Americans get into Canadian medical schools. In my experience, McGill is likely to be the most receptive.

A graduate of a Canadian medical school is considered the same as a graduate of a US medical school for licensing purposes.

------------------

I'm a med student at Dalhousie. There are a couple of Americans in my class right now. Your chances at Dal as an american are equal to someone from outside of the Maritime provinces (Dal divides us into Maritime, and non-maritime students). The non-maritime spots are quite competative though. (Maritime =Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick.)

Memorial has about 15 spots reserved for Americans. I don't know much about McGill, though I know lots of Americans do go there. Do you speak french? It would really help if you want to live in Montreal.

Goodluck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that U of Toronto and Western Ontario also take Americans (I would check Toronto but I'm pretty sure that Western does). I've been told that most grads (I don't know if they meant US citizens or Canadian citizens) from Canadian Schools match in the US in primary care positions comparable to top 25 schools. As for more competitive specialties, I don't know.

Canadian med schools are the same as American ones AS FAR AS getting in goes. They are included in AMCAS and prefer Canadian students, as the previous poster from Dalhousie said about the maritime vs non-maritime students (look at the percentages of Americans per school). If you're considering going Canadian because you think it'll be easier to get in than a US school, think again.

[This message has been edited by dwstranger (edited 09-30-2000).]

I do not think it is easier to get on to Canadian Med school. However, I think that in Canadian school theres is a better chance to be looked at closer than than in US. And that is what I need because my record does not strike one as impressive unless one takes time to review the documents closely.
What are the stats of the Americans who study at Dal or other schools?
Thaks for the response.