Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry if this seems very long, I am just really confused on where to start and how to gain volunteer experience, veterinarian reference and etc that I need to become a veterinarian. I spoke with my dad and step mom last night they seem some what interested in that I am making a choice to start my undergrad studies and pursue becoming a veterinarian, compared to my mom they were more supportive.
It seemed that I had it figured out I would complete my high school equivalent (academic upgrading) then apply to all of the colleges that are in my province to become a veterinarian technician. The program is about $6k for tuition which I will apply for loans, bursaries grants and I would also continue working in my current field.
Some have voice their opinion that becoming a veterinarian technician might be a waste of time and money, but for me since its extremely difficult some what feels impossible to get volunteer experience without being a veterinarian technician at least it seems that way when I contact clinics in my neighbourhood. I am not sure if when I contact clinics I am saying the wrongs things or I am just contacting them at a time when they have picked their volunteers.
So it seems for me to gain my animal experience I would have to become a veterinarian technician work in clinics while I study just so that I am better equipped to handle veterinarian school. Since I am also unsure if I truly have a passion to become a veterinarian I thought I would try get into the field as a technician and hopefully by then I will know if I want to continue on or move on to another field, my passion for animals didnt start til I adopted my first cats in 2008 I am not the typical oh I loved animals all my life so I became a vet.
Right now my only volunteer experience is volunteering cat rescue groups, participating in the Toronto Feral Cat Project and also feeding feral cat colonies and socializing kittens and cats for adoptions and using my home as a recovery place for cats who have been spayed and neutered. Which is just one level of animal experience of being involved with cats, my passion is feline medicine and providing help to the trap neutered and release programs. I know I will have to gain experience with dogs, and other animals but my city is mostly small animal.
I also have mild allergies to cats, so I am also concern the more involved I get with animals the more my allergies could become a problem right now the over-counter allergy pills and a good nasal rinse keeps my allergies to non-existent. I also thought becoming a veterinarian technician would guarantee my animal experience in a clinical setting since I am having an extremely hard time to volunteer with veterinarians.
Volunteering with Toronto wildlife and Metro Zoo, and Humane Society does not have me around veterinarians and some of those charities that run on volunteers only do not even have you in contact with the animals.
My goal is to apply to Ross University, when I briefly spoke to admissions when they were in Toronto hosting an information seminar I was told that some of the students were veterinarian technicians first before they applied which seems like ok I could be in that group and not be in the group who were undergrad students, volunteered and go into Ross. Plus the fact that Ross is an extremely expensive but some claim easier to get in I would work towards getting into Ross and leave Guelph and USA vets schools are my second and third choice.
It seemed that I had it figured out I would complete my high school equivalent (academic upgrading) then apply to all of the colleges that are in my province to become a veterinarian technician. The program is about $6k for tuition which I will apply for loans, bursaries grants and I would also continue working in my current field.
Some have voice their opinion that becoming a veterinarian technician might be a waste of time and money, but for me since its extremely difficult some what feels impossible to get volunteer experience without being a veterinarian technician at least it seems that way when I contact clinics in my neighbourhood. I am not sure if when I contact clinics I am saying the wrongs things or I am just contacting them at a time when they have picked their volunteers.
So it seems for me to gain my animal experience I would have to become a veterinarian technician work in clinics while I study just so that I am better equipped to handle veterinarian school. Since I am also unsure if I truly have a passion to become a veterinarian I thought I would try get into the field as a technician and hopefully by then I will know if I want to continue on or move on to another field, my passion for animals didnt start til I adopted my first cats in 2008 I am not the typical oh I loved animals all my life so I became a vet.
Right now my only volunteer experience is volunteering cat rescue groups, participating in the Toronto Feral Cat Project and also feeding feral cat colonies and socializing kittens and cats for adoptions and using my home as a recovery place for cats who have been spayed and neutered. Which is just one level of animal experience of being involved with cats, my passion is feline medicine and providing help to the trap neutered and release programs. I know I will have to gain experience with dogs, and other animals but my city is mostly small animal.
I also have mild allergies to cats, so I am also concern the more involved I get with animals the more my allergies could become a problem right now the over-counter allergy pills and a good nasal rinse keeps my allergies to non-existent. I also thought becoming a veterinarian technician would guarantee my animal experience in a clinical setting since I am having an extremely hard time to volunteer with veterinarians.
Volunteering with Toronto wildlife and Metro Zoo, and Humane Society does not have me around veterinarians and some of those charities that run on volunteers only do not even have you in contact with the animals.
My goal is to apply to Ross University, when I briefly spoke to admissions when they were in Toronto hosting an information seminar I was told that some of the students were veterinarian technicians first before they applied which seems like ok I could be in that group and not be in the group who were undergrad students, volunteered and go into Ross. Plus the fact that Ross is an extremely expensive but some claim easier to get in I would work towards getting into Ross and leave Guelph and USA vets schools are my second and third choice.