1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

canadian optometrists

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by chrissystar, Mar 3, 2007.

1. chrissystar

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hi- if there are any Canadian students in the states, or Canadian optometrists that went to the states for school:

I would like to know whether Canadian students end up returning to Canada to practice, or they choose to stay in the states? and if you are a Canadian student now - what are your plans?

What are the adv/disadv to each?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fonziefonz

7+ Year Member

I'm Canadian and I'm going to Nova. And I'm also considering staying in the States. Seems like it would be much better to do financially.

4. ICU23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I don't think it is as easy as just saying "I want to stay in the US". I'm sure there are some financial and political hoops that you have to go through. There have beens some postings about this issue and I remember something about having your employer sponsor you financially. Also because you're not a US citizen it's unlikely any state would let you open a practice.

5. chrissystar

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    good to know.

6. fonziefonz

7+ Year Member

Ever hear of the 'Canadian Brain Drain'? Its going on right now and occurs when many of Canada's doctors head to the States to practice and make much more money than they would in Canada. I doubt this would be an issue if you couldn't practice there, especially if you received all of your training and certifications in America. Aren't you guys the land of opportunity?

7. ICU23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I don't have any issues with canadian or canadian doctors, but that's the way the law works. Yeah, it's the land of opportunity, but under the current political climate it's the land of opportunities for americans. Again as I stated before, unless you marry an american or get sponorship it is hard to stay here and work.

And fonziefonz, don't try to make it sound like US is incompetent and don't have enough qualified doctors.

8. fonziefonz

7+ Year Member

What the hell are you talking about??? I never said that at all. The US has many qualified doctors. But right now the Brain Drain is a HUGE issue here in Canada. It has to do with Canadian intellectuals leaving for America for financial reasons and more monetary gain and nothing to do with the incompetency of Americans (but on a side note you may have proved that point yourself).

9. ML1983

ML1983 PCO Class of 2010
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student

I'm going back to Canada for sure.

Advantage? I love Canada.

10. chrissystar

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    i think i would like to return to canada too beacuse i love it here - but i think fonz is right in that u make a lot more in the states..

i read in another post that there is an oversupply of ODs, and if u wanted to get an eye exam, you could get one in a day or two, whereas to see a dentist, you have to book weeks in advance...

i dont know about the states.. but at the two offices ive worked in Ontario, both the optometrists are booked for months. You may be able to squeeze in if there are cancellations, but the wait is a lot longer than a few days. (sometimes weeks)

so perhaps the worry of the oversupply and too many OD schools isnt that big of a problem because a lot of canadians end up returning back to canada to practice anyways.

dont know - just a thought :rolleyes:

11. IndianaOD

2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Socialized health care = brain drain. A couple Canadians back in my class wanted to stay in the states because the scope of practice was so much better in the states.

12. Squint

Squint Squint
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    There are about 20 Canadians at each of PCO, NECO, Pacific, and ICO plus a few elsewhere. This last year 60 U.S. educated students wrote the Canadian Board exams.

13. jefguth

jefguth Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Returning to Canada. For Sure!

Personally, I don't buy the argument that you can make more money in the USA, compared to a couple provinces, yes that might be true, but overall not so much.

Another concern of mine; as an optometrist you are required to have an employer sponsored visa to stay and work in the USA after your OD+1yr OPT (optional practical training). That means you have to have to work for someone, a boss, someone to deal with all of the documentation and fees. Shouldn't be a problem if you're looking to practice corporate, but starting up or buying your own practice ...looks unlikely unless you marry an American!

Physicians, dentists, a few others don't have to worry about visas b/c under the terms of the NAFTA agreement, they can work in either country without a visa. Unfortunately, OD's didn't get a piece of that action.

14. ML1983

ML1983 PCO Class of 2010
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Can you tell me where you found that info from? Also if you know the board rates and stuff?

I agree with Jeff, all the optometrists I've talked too and shadowed have been making a nice sum in Ontario, most likely more than American OD's. However I'm not sure how much more taxes we pay, but whatever, I wouldn't give up the Canadian way of life. When I compare Toronto to Philly, it is totally different. Just driving around the cities are very contrasting.

Apparently my friend from UW Optometry said by 2009 we'll have a wider scope of practice in Ontario. I forgot what exactly, but I think it was we'll be able to use theurapeutic drugs (since we use DPA's already?) Yea, I feel its a waste learning about all these drugs since when I go back to Ontario I can't use those skills, but it will change in the end. Just need some patience.

15. chrissystar

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry

Hey - yea the optometrist i shadowed said the same thing! By the time we are done we should be able to prescribe TPA in ontario.