Canadian Optometrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...I am in quite the "pickle" with my family over my career choice in becoming an optometrist. I love the profession and the lifestyle that comes with it. My family, however, doesn't wan't me to become an optometrist because they say that it is not a respected profession, and that there is no money in it. They say, "Your only making $100,000 a year, that is nothing compared to other doctors." I really pisses me off listening to them over and over...and it has got me really thinking whether I have made a right career choice.

For all of the canadian optometrists out there, can you please tell me the pros that come with being an optometrist here in canada (I live in western canada) and the type of salary I can expect, so that I may shut my parents up once and for all. LOL!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone...I am in quite the "pickle" with my family over my career choice in becoming an optometrist. I love the profession and the lifestyle that comes with it. My family, however, doesn't wan't me to become an optometrist because they say that it is not a respected profession, and that there is no money in it. They say, "Your only making $100,000 a year, that is nothing compared to other doctors." I really pisses me off listening to them over and over...and it has got me really thinking whether I have made a right career choice.

For all of the canadian optometrists out there, can you please tell me the pros that come with being an optometrist here in canada (I live in western canada) and the type of salary I can expect, so that I may shut my parents up once and for all. LOL!!!
With all due respect, who cares what your family says? If you really do love the profession and being an OD will make YOU happy, that's all that should matter. Money isn't everything, and just because other doctors can make more money than OD's does not mean they are happier.

Just tell your family that ur sorry for letting them down and chose optometry as a profession. Tell them that if they like to disown u then do so since u disgraced ur family name. Haha.. I bet u that'll get them off ur back for a bit

Members don't see this ad :)

NEVER EVER EVER pick a career based on your parents perceived "prestige" value or based on the salary you expect to make.

Would your parents prefer you become a physician? Would that be ok? What if you became a GP? What if you were an internist? How about an OB? Or would the only thing that would be acceptable to them be that you become the Chief of Neurosurgery at Harvard Medical School?

If you pick something based on the perceived "prestige" or respect value, you are doomed to a lifetime of misery.

I don't know what optometrists in Western Canada make but as far as salaries go, you need to find something that YOU are comfortable with. I know eye surgeons who make 500k per year and they're miserable because someone else makes $510k or (more likely) their WIFE SPENDS $510k so they're going broke. I know guys who work on Wall Street for huge investment banks and they make more than that, and they're miserable because they work 120 hours per week.

The happiest person that I know right now is someone who probably makes about $26000 per year. Want to know what she does? She teachers ballet and tap dancing to little girls.

SO pick something you like. If you pick based on salary or perceived prestige value, I can say with 99% certainty you will always be miserable because someone will always have a more "prestigeous" position and/or makes more money.

Why do they think its not a respected profession? Please tell me its because of commercial sell outs! That will add fuel to my fire for sure.

My Dad is a Chemical engineer, and my mom is a lawyer.....I think one of the biggest reasons has to do with the fact that they are afraid that I will not be able to support myself and my future family on an optometrist's salary.....but i've told them many times that I am not in it for the money, because I think there are many things in life that are important than money, such as lifestyle, and having more time to spend with your family (which pretty much goes hand in hand)....I don't know, I guess we'll see what happens!

I know lawyers that make under $100k several years out of school. I know two who gave up law to teach high school. I know one who got a job right out of school for $160k per year.

I know privately practicing ODs that make 3 times the average quoted by the AOA, and I know an optician who makes more than that. I know of numerous new OD grads starting at $85K to $100k in varied practice settings. You might start at a bit less getting into private practice, but you can make significantly more than average in the long run. The trouble with being an employed OD forever, is your salary is pegged at whatever the corporations can hire a new graduate for. It is unlikely that your salary will go up much because you are a good employee, if there is a good supply of new grads (which apparently there is).

What you make eventually in optometry has more to do with your mindset and entreprenurial skills than anything else. I'm not saying it is easy, and it is not as "automatic" as being an MD, but you can make more than an MD. Heck, I know plumbers that make more than MDs, but they work hard, they work smart, they network, and they work for themselves.

Do what you love. You can make money doing anything. Good luck.

I know lawyers that make under $100k several years out of school. I know two who gave up law to teach high school. I know one who got a job right out of school for $160k per year.

I know privately practicing ODs that make 3 times the average quoted by the AOA, and I know an optician who makes more than that. I know of numerous new OD grads starting at $85K to $100k in varied practice settings. You might start at a bit less getting into private practice, but you can make significantly more than average in the long run. The trouble with being an employed OD forever, is your salary is pegged at whatever the corporations can hire a new graduate for. It is unlikely that your salary will go up much because you are a good employee, if there is a good supply of new grads (which apparently there is).

What you make eventually in optometry has more to do with your mindset and entreprenurial skills than anything else. I'm not saying it is easy, and it is not as "automatic" as being an MD, but you can make more than an MD. Heck, I know plumbers that make more than MDs, but they work hard, they work smart, they network, and they work for themselves.

Do what you love. You can make money doing anything. Good luck.

I think what fjpod is trying to tell all of us is that we should all be plumbers and when we all make big money, we can tell all those MDs to shove it.... :laugh:

I think what fjpod is trying to tell all of us is that we should all be plumbers and when we all make big money, we can tell all those MDs to shove it.... :laugh:

Actually, what I really said was you don't have to be smart to make a lot money if you are an MD. It's automatic. ;)

I think one of the biggest reasons has to do with the fact that they are afraid that I will not be able to support myself and my future family on an optometrist's salary.

Your parents might be a little greedy?

Your Mom is a lawyer and she has the nerve to say optometry is not a respected profession...WOW!!!

My Dad is a Chemical engineer, and my mom is a lawyer.....I think one of the biggest reasons has to do with the fact that they are afraid that I will not be able to support myself and my future family on an optometrist's salary.....but i've told them many times that I am not in it for the money, because I think there are many things in life that are important than money, such as lifestyle, and having more time to spend with your family (which pretty much goes hand in hand)....I don't know, I guess we'll see what happens!

Wow that must be tough, to have parents who think that $100k isn't much. My parents combined income isn't anywhere close to that. If I made $100k they'd think I was Croesus.

I don't know what you should tell them. The problem is you come from one of those 'Huxtable' families where the parents are ungodly successful and educated and expect the kids to be the same. Well, being an optometrist, far as I know, is a pretty well-respected profession. You get to call yourself a doctor, have to undergo much schooling, and get to pull in much more income than the average person. I guess you should just say that you like the profession and that's that. It's your life.

Wow that must be tough, to have parents who think that $100k isn't much. My parents combined income isn't anywhere close to that. If I made $100k they'd think I was Croesus.

I don't know what you should tell them. The problem is you come from one of those 'Huxtable' families where the parents are ungodly successful and educated and expect the kids to be the same. Well, being an optometrist, far as I know, is a pretty well-respected profession. You get to call yourself a doctor, have to undergo much schooling, and get to pull in much more income than the average person. I guess you should just say that you like the profession and that's that. It's your life.

OUTSTANDING!

You managed to combine a reference to an obscure Greek King with a reference to an 80s pop culture phenomenon.

You must kick ass at Jeopardy! :thumbup: