Canadian pharmacists - future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandmeyer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been touched on alot, however I was hoping there might be some Canadian, licensed pharmacists, willing to share their outlook on the future of pharmacy in Canada (especially Ontario).

I am not trolling, so there is no need for pre-pharms to reply. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to generalize about Canadian pharmacy - health care is administered provincially, so there are 12 different health care systems in this country that need to follow the dictates of the Canada Health Act, but otherwise will vary. I can speak to Ontario pharmacy - we are providing a necessary service, and if the recent legislative changes result in a decline in service for Ontarians, the government is going to pass more legislation to try and mitigate the damage they've already done, at the same time trying not to make themselves look like even bigger *****s.

Hard to generalize about Canadian pharmacy - health care is administered provincially, so there are 12 different health care systems in this country that need to follow the dictates of the Canada Health Act, but otherwise will vary. I can speak to Ontario pharmacy - we are providing a necessary service, and if the recent legislative changes result in a decline in service for Ontarians, the government is going to pass more legislation to try and mitigate the damage they've already done, at the same time trying not to make themselves look like even bigger *****s.

Thanks for the reply. I do understand the differences provincially, and have done a lot of reading on legislative changes in Ontario; obviously I won't understand it's impact as well as you though.

The one thing I always thought, like you said, is that they would introduce some other changes to offset what that have already done.

That being said, can I ask bluntly, how do you view the future of pharmacy were you to do it all over?

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite what I said upthread, I think the future is positive. Since I graduated I've seen a nearly continuous increase in pharmacists' clinical responsibilities, and there's legislation coming to grant pharmacists the limited ability to prescribe in Ontario. The province is lagging behind in terms of compensating pharmacists for everything we do, but long-term I believe we have the clout to fix that (short term, it's going to be rocky).

The province was successfully able to conflate pharmacists and Big Pharma in the minds of the public. We need to do more to clarify that.

I know this has been touched on alot, however I was hoping there might be some Canadian, licensed pharmacists, willing to share their outlook on the future of pharmacy in Canada (especially Ontario).

I am not trolling, so there is no need for pre-pharms to reply. Thanks!

Right... because, since I'm not a licensed pharmacist yet (September!), I have nothing at all worthwhile to say. Awesome.

Also, we have these handy little websites called 'Google' and 'Facebook' where you can find all kinds of editorials/opinion pieces/discussions abut the legislative changes written by and for Ontario pharmacists (since at the moment our issues are provincial, not federal by the way). You might want to look there if you're really that interested.

Right... because, since I'm not a licensed pharmacist yet (September!), I have nothing at all worthwhile to say. Awesome.

Also, we have these handy little websites called 'Google' and 'Facebook' where you can find all kinds of editorials/opinion pieces/discussions abut the legislative changes written by and for Ontario pharmacists (since at the moment our issues are provincial, not federal by the way). You might want to look there if you're really that interested.

I have read many of those thing, but thanks for being a smart-*****. You forget that a lot of those articles are overly-dramatic, so getting a personal opinion caries a lot more weight to me. You don't like my question, then ignore it. What is the point of a forum anyway if people can't ask these sort of questions?

Thank you for the reply Pharmavixen.