Canadian Pharmacy Schools Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g4m3r2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just have a few quick questions about Canadian pharmacy schools.
1. What are your thoughts on pharmacy school rankings? Do rankings have any say in future employment?
2. Has anyone gotten into Eastern Canadian pharmacy schools from Western Canadian universities like UBC or SFU? Is there any way to know whether you (in western Canada) are taking courses the eastern schools require?
3. Is anyone in UT Pharmacy BSc/PharmD program? What are your thoughts on the program in terms of difficulty & worth & pros and cons?
4. Will a PharmD from Canada be able to land me a job in Europe or US? How about PharmD + MBA?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not an expert by any means, but I'll give it a shot...

1. I don't think rankings are all that relevant. I doubt there is any credible ranking of Canadian pharmacy schools anyway.
2. Definitely possible, but usually harder for OOP students. Check the websites of the schools you are interested in to see what they require.
3. Nope. Don't have much of an opinion other than it's probably a good program.
4. A PharmD from UBC or UofT is impressive. It's a postgrad degree and therefore higher than an American PharmD. You could very likely land jobs (and good ones) in the US for sure. Have no idea about Europe.The MBA might help in applying for some positions. It wouldn't add all that much in most.

4. A PharmD from UBC or UofT is impressive. It's a postgrad degree and therefore higher than an American PharmD. You could very likely land jobs (and good ones) in the US for sure. Have no idea about Europe.The MBA might help in applying for some positions. It wouldn't add all that much in most.

I'm curious; Are you actually saying that a Canadian PharmD is more impressive than an American PharmD?

Members don't see this ad :)
4. Will a PharmD from Canada be able to land me a job in Europe or US? How about PharmD + MBA?

I was actually looking at programs in Sweden a few years ago. Their pharmacy training program is completely different from the prereq / PharmD program we're accustomed to in the US. I don't remember all the details, but it struck me as more of a bacchelor level, but the equivalent to a pharmacist is not a "doctor" there, it's more around the actual processing of prescriptions. That said, I could be completely off base - I never spoke with anyone knowledgeable about it, it was just my impression from my reading. I don't know what it says about your job prospects / qualifications there.

I'm curious; Are you actually saying that a Canadian PharmD is more impressive than an American PharmD?
Impressive as in a higher degree, yes. American PharmDs are an elpd degree and are not postgraduate degrees. Canadian PharmD programs, as they have existed until now at UBC and UofT, require a baccalaureate degree in pharmacy. Slightly confusing because the PharmD name is the same. Also because the entry level degree still being awarded to practice in Canada is the bachelors degree. To put it another way:

Canadian Postgrad PharmD > American PharmD > Canadian bachelor of science in pharmacy

As a Canadian in an American Pharmacy school, I can tell you it is more prestigious than an American PharmD any day. A Canadian PharmD is a minimum of 8 years (2 years prepharm+4 years BPharm +2 years for PharmD), and the tests to practice pharmacy in Canada is far more complex than the Naplex. I have two friends who completed their PharmD's in the states and are fully licenced in the states yet failed licensing in Canada. So, yes.

Impressive as in a higher degree, yes. American PharmDs are an elpd degree and are not postgraduate degrees. Canadian PharmD programs, as they have existed until now at UBC and UofT, require a baccalaureate degree in pharmacy. Slightly confusing because the PharmD name is the same. Also because the entry level degree still being awarded to practice in Canada is the bachelors degree. To put it another way:

Canadian Postgrad PharmD > American PharmD > Canadian bachelor of science in pharmacy

Ualberta is starting a pharmD as well, but it's an entry level pharmD like the american ones... They currently have a "real" pharmD at the u of a as well...

confused yet? lol

2. I got into MUN (Newfoundland) for pharmacy, having done my undergrad at UBC. You just have to compare course descriptions, but in general the basic undergrad pre-req science classes should be transferable/equivalent....

Thanks for all your replies! Extremely helpful!:)
I have some more questions that branched off from your comments:

1. Do you guys know what it takes to be a certified pharmacist in the US? Someone mentioned the elpd someone else the Naplex but being a total noob I am, I'm not too familiar with the terms. Would appreciate greatly if you can explain the process to be a pharmacist in US to me.

2. Why is pre-pharm 2 years? If I have university credits from IB (International Baccalaureate; basically like AP) bio and so technically I could finish all the required courses by January of next year in the case of UBC (UBC only requires 1 year of university), do you think I'd be able to make the cut? I'm glancing over PCAT and most of the stuff seems to be like what I've learned in IB.

3. If I decide to get a pharmacy degree in Canada (please explain for both BSc and PharmD) and work in the US, how would that work?

4. For the MBA point, I was wondering b/c I am maybe thinking of working in a pharmaceutical company. Most of them require PharmD & MBA, right?

Thanks again!

Thanks for all your replies! Extremely helpful!:)
I have some more questions that branched off from your comments:

1. Do you guys know what it takes to be a certified pharmacist in the US? Someone mentioned the elpd someone else the Naplex but being a total noob I am, I'm not too familiar with the terms. Would appreciate greatly if you can explain the process to be a pharmacist in US to me.

2. Why is pre-pharm 2 years? If I have university credits from IB (International Baccalaureate; basically like AP) bio and so technically I could finish all the required courses by January of next year in the case of UBC (UBC only requires 1 year of university), do you think I'd be able to make the cut? I'm glancing over PCAT and most of the stuff seems to be like what I've learned in IB.

3. If I decide to get a pharmacy degree in Canada (please explain for both BSc and PharmD) and work in the US, how would that work?

4. For the MBA point, I was wondering b/c I am maybe thinking of working in a pharmaceutical company. Most of them require PharmD & MBA, right?

Thanks again!

1. I think NAPLEX is the one you're looking for... not too sure on that.
2. pre-pharm at UBC is only 1 yr. At the U of A it will take 2 years unless you get >90% in your grade 12 chem class and ask to have 261/263 in your first year. (when I was there, you could do 163/263 in without this requirement)
3. The pharmD canada is beginning to offer is an ELPD (entry level pharmD). The "traditional" pharmD is much more intensive and is a real phD aka research. If you graduate from a canadian uni with a BScPharm, you can still work in the states even though their graduates have EL pharmDs.
4. No, you don't need an MBA. Also, if you're interested in drug development, you shouldn't nessasarily get a pharmacy degree... a pharmacology degree is better suited for R&D. Although people with pharmacy degrees do work in bigpharma.