Canadian Resident unsure of how to apply to the States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I am a CMG and current Canadian resident. I am looking to apply to the States for a different specialty. However, I am unsure of when I need to have the USMLEs completed, and which ones I need to do.

I have started contacting individual programs but would like to have some general advice as well.

Members don't see this ad.

which specialties? I switched from fm in canada to IM in US. You will need step 1,2cs & 2ck done at minimum before you apply. You will need step 3 if you are going to try for h1b. If applying for j1, be aware of caps for different specialities.

which specialties? I switched from fm in canada to IM in US. You will need step 1,2cs & 2ck done at minimum before you apply. You will need step 3 if you are going to try for h1b. If applying for j1, be aware of caps for different specialities.

From FM to Psychiatry. When do you need to have the exams completed by? I know the current cycle opens September 15, so I didn't know if I would be able to complete at least Step 1 and Step 2 CK (?maybe also CS) before the rank deadline.

From FM to Psychiatry. When do you need to have the exams completed by? I know the current cycle opens September 15, so I didn't know if I would be able to complete at least Step 1 and Step 2 CK (?maybe also CS) before the rank deadline.

He told you. Step 1, 2CK, and 2CS with scores BEFORE you even submit your application. Step 3 if you plan to apply for an H1B visa. Programs will not even consider you without these.

If you don’t have these already, you are not ready to apply this year.

Reactions: 1 users
He told you. Step 1, 2CK, and 2CS with scores BEFORE you even submit your application. Step 3 if you plan to apply for an H1B visa. Programs will not even consider you without these.

If you don’t have these already, you are not ready to apply this year.

I was just double checking because one of the programs I looked into said "Applicants are encouraged to schedule USMLE or COMLEX exams sufficiently early such that PASSING scores on Steps I and 2 (CK&CS) are sent before the match rank list is submitted". They did not mention anything about having the scores sent before the application, so I wanted to know in general what the rule is.

The step 2 exams exam could potentially be done later (before rank list) but as a foreigner needing a visa your application needs to be as complete as possible to be considered - otherwise you are wasting money applying this year. If you dont have step 1 your application will be trashed. If you dont have step2 ck and cs you will be screened out.

Your canadian medical degree is equivalent to us grads, but you still need a visa.

The step 2 exams exam could potentially be done later (before rank list) but as a foreigner needing a visa your application needs to be as complete as possible to be considered - otherwise you are wasting money applying this year. If you dont have step 1 your application will be trashed. If you dont have step2 ck and cs you will be screened out.

Your canadian medical degree is equivalent to us grads, but you still need a visa.

Thank you for your input. How long do you think I will need to study for step 1? And for step 2 ck?

Thank you for your input. How long do you think I will need to study for step 1? And for step 2 ck?
Totally depends on how much you remember from med school. The typical US student takes 6-8 weeks to study for Step 1 after their 2nd year of med school, and 3-4 weeks for step 2. You could take a practice exam to see where you stand right now--you may need longer since you're further out from the basic science stuff that is tested heavily on step 1, and you're trying to study while also being a resident.

A lot of the information you're looking for is very basic, and likely could be found by searching the USMLE and international forums, as well as ERAS. You can't apply this year--regardless of what that program's website says, nobody will consider your application complete without a step 1 score and probably step 2 CK as well--but next year may be doable.

I was just double checking because one of the programs I looked into said "Applicants are encouraged to schedule USMLE or COMLEX exams sufficiently early such that PASSING scores on Steps I and 2 (CK&CS) are sent before the match rank list is submitted". They did not mention anything about having the scores sent before the application, so I wanted to know in general what the rule is.
Sure that’s the deadline to be considered for ranking but to get interviews, programs are going to want to know you have completed those things.

While you get different considerations because you are a cmg as opposed to an fmg you are still going to need a visa. They will want to know you will qualify.

Agree with above. You could probably do step 2ck/and cs now with little need to study. Step 1 score matters and its a bunch of (mostly useless) picky basic science crap. Step 2ck is a lot like the mcce1.

Question - why go to the us for second residency? If you finish fm residency in canada and do a third year (you need 3 in US) you could work in the US based on equivalency without having the usmles - but you would need to complete the mcces and american boards. Look into reciprocity rules between US and canada. Of course if your intention is to work in the US, it is to your benefit to get training in the country you will work....but if you plan to return to canada, did you investigate transferring to a psych residency in canada?

Agree with above. You could probably do step 2ck/and cs now with little need to study. Step 1 score matters and its a bunch of (mostly useless) picky basic science crap. Step 2ck is a lot like the mcce1.

Question - why go to the us for second residency? If you finish fm residency in canada and do a third year (you need 3 in US) you could work in the US based on equivalency without having the usmles - but you would need to complete the mcces and american boards. Look into reciprocity rules between US and canada. Of course if your intention is to work in the US, it is to your benefit to get training in the country you will work....but if you plan to return to canada, did you investigate transferring to a psych residency in canada?

I THOROUGHLY investigated transferring to a psych residency in Canada since March 2017. Due to lack of national government funding for residency, I have not found a single position available.

I HATE my current residency (it was my "backup" and ranked low on my list). There is no 3rd year for mental health training for family docs. I wish that was an option.

Also, I don't care at all where I work.

Totally depends on how much you remember from med school. The typical US student takes 6-8 weeks to study for Step 1 after their 2nd year of med school, and 3-4 weeks for step 2. You could take a practice exam to see where you stand right now--you may need longer since you're further out from the basic science stuff that is tested heavily on step 1, and you're trying to study while also being a resident.

A lot of the information you're looking for is very basic, and likely could be found by searching the USMLE and international forums, as well as ERAS. You can't apply this year--regardless of what that program's website says, nobody will consider your application complete without a step 1 score and probably step 2 CK as well--but next year may be doable.

Thank you for the information. I have in fact been on the USMLE and ERAS websites and found it challenging to navigate because there was no clarity with regards to whether the same facts apply to a current CMG Canadian resident.

Have you looked at internal matches and emailed Canadian program directors? I am a Canadian resident and my program (pathology) often accepts internal transfers. Sometimes the transfer programs are listed in my schools internal match, other times not. Most programs that I know (at least in lab med, I know that is not your specialty) are open to internal transfers. That said, I do know there is some extra difficulty transferring from a 2 year residency to a 5 year residency - most of the internal transfers I know have pgy-5 secured funding before they transfer. Anyways - if you have not done this already, I strongly recommend speaking with PDs in Canada.