Canadian seeking advice on post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrinkMoreWater

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive any errors in formatting/etiquette!

I am a recent graduate of a Canadian institution, I received a Bachelor's of Management and my cGPA was 3.25 (not great, I know). I have long been interested in medical school but for personal reasons that I won't get into I cast it aside as an unrealistic goal. I am now exploring my options to make my way into medical school and was looking for some advice.

I understand that there are formal post-baccalaureate programs, as well as the option to simply set one up for yourself. Canada, as far as I can tell, doesn't offer any formal post bacc programs, though I have seen a handful of "pre-professional programs" offered at schools like UofA. Are these pre-professional programs worth doing? I have taken virtually no science classes so I'm a fairly blank slate in that sense. Would it be better for me to stay in Canada and DIY a post bacc, or do the formal post bacc programs in the USA offer something more intangible that I'm missing. The cost makes me somewhat fearful of the formal program - even though it would be a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of medical school, the risk of that goal not materializing creates some hesitation.

Additionally, if I were to go the route of DIY, would taking equivalent courses at a college be preferable to a university? College courses seem to be easier, which would help with achieving the necessary GPA, though I'm worried that a college course would look less desirable to admissions councils than an equivalent course from a university.

Any advice on this stuff would be greatly appreciated, and if there are other options that I haven't mentioned I would love to hear about those as well!

Thanks!
 
For Canadian DIY: take a full-time course load at a university. Don't overload yourself with science courses as you're aiming for 3.9+. Don't take part-time or college studies as they may not count towards your admissions GPA (different med schools have different rules about what counts towards your GPA; email admissions if unsure about anything.) If it has "university" in the name it's a university (i.e. prestige doesn't matter.)

No benefit to "pre-professional" programs.