Canadian Statement of Need

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering given that there are no longer unlimited statement of needs given in the main residency match (http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/postgrad-postdoc/cat_b-list-liste-eng.php) how this affects IMGs.

Also do we know how many statement of needs were previously given out in previous years in the previously unlimited areas?

Members don't see this ad.

This affects both IMGs and CMGs studying in US medical schools that wish to complete their residency training in the US. I've read through the health canada website and they seem to be cutting down on the number of SONs given to Canadians choosing to pursue post-grad training in the US. "First-come, first serve" basis so I guess it's best to have your application ready as soon as you find out you've matched.

There is a way around it, and that is to apply for residency positions that are willing to sponsor you for H1B visa (which pretty much means you intend to stay in the US and work there as opposed to J1 which is just a temporary thing). Keep in mind that none of the California residencies use H1B though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at the revised guidelines. While there are some errors and contradictions, overall it looks like they simply put off the changes for a year. the errors etc allow for loopholes to walk through.

Significant problems that I see:

They say you can have a one year ACGME fellowship in Opthalmology so you can meet STRs. There are zero ACGME fellowships in ophthalmology. The problem is they say they will support something that does not exist.

they forgot about the ACGME accredited subspecialty in OB. The three fields they have listed are not ACGME accredited, they are ABOG accredited. They are accepted by RCPSC so the accreditation is not the problem, but that should have been explained. the problem is one program is missing; they should add that.

Chief resident. it is misleading to say that chief resident will be supported for any specialty. in fact, chief resident as a fourth year, is available in two fields: internal medicine and pediatrics. if someone in general surgery for example in their fifth and final year of surgery is a chief resident, it is a title and not an additional year. The problem is there will be lots of confusion for doctors who are chosen as chief resident that is an integral part of the five year program for which a new letter from canada is not required.

in the revised chart (list of specialties) the title says "if your residency training began in 2016 or later
(estimated)". I just don't know what this means. Began in 2016? Estimated? Beats me.

I saw a few other things, but they are minor.

I'm reading the website now.

I'm a Psych resident in the U.S, and Im on J1 (Category B).

I want to do Neuropsychiatry Fellowship, but it non-ACGME (unaccredited, it is UCNS): http://www.anpaonline.org/ucns-fellowships

Can I still do Neuropsychiatry Fellowship on J1, or am I screwed?

Last edited:
I'm reading the website now.

I'm a Psych resident in the U.S, and Im on J1 (Category B).

I want to do Neuropsychiatry Fellowship, but it non-ACGME (unaccredited, it is UCNS): http://www.anpaonline.org/ucns-fellowships

Can I still do Neuropsychiatry Fellowship on J1, or am I screwed?

another suggestion:
if that fellowship is your fifth year of training, you can contact the Royal College credentials unit directly and ask them if they will accept that fellowship as your fifth year. The committee will review your proposal, and say yes or no. If yes, the S of N can be issued.

Thanks for the reply.

Since I am only a PGY2 now, should I ask them to review now so I can decide sooner than later if they will accept it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

Since I am only a PGY2 now, should I ask them to review now so I can decide sooner than later if they will accept it?

Yes, please craft a letter to the Credentials Unit at your earliest convenience. Include the 'curriculum' if you have it, or the program description.

Emphasize the clinical nature of the year, and I recommend you take the time BEFORE you write to the College to read the official Requirements of Training and Specialty Training Requirements so you know what you are supposed to accomplish over the five years. Does the fellowship address some of the requirements? if yes, state that.

If it falls under the umbrella of an ACGME residency, include that information.
Does it have approval by the American Board? if yes, include that information.
Provide links, if you have them.

[email protected]

http://www.royalcollege.ca/portal/page/portal/rc/public
hover over the top blue line, center over Credentials...., click on Information By Specialty. find your specialty.
Be positive.

The PURPOSE of your letter to the College is to ask if it will accept the fellowship towards the overall requirements.
(the purpose is not to get a S of N / J-1 Visa, so don't ask them to approve it for that purpose.)

Thanks again, very informative.

But lets say I do the Pain Fellowship (ACGME) first, 1 year to get my STR out of the way. Then I will have done 4 + 1 years and completed needed 5 years.

If I wanted to stay in U.S to do 6th year (1 year Non-ACGME Neuropsychiatry), would I get a S o N?

Or alternatively, lets say RCPSC accepts my proposal to do Non-ACGME Neuropsychiatry for 1 year. If I do the 4 + 1, can I stay the 6th year to do ACGME Pain Fellowship? Will RCPSC allow me to do 2nd fellowship on J1 and give me S of N?

Thanks again, very informative.

But lets say I do the Pain Fellowship (ACGME) first, 1 year to get my STR out of the way. Then I will have done 4 + 1 years and completed needed 5 years.

If I wanted to stay in U.S to do 6th year (1 year Non-ACGME Neuropsychiatry), would I get a S o N?

Or alternatively, lets say RCPSC accepts my proposal to do Non-ACGME Neuropsychiatry for 1 year. If I do the 4 + 1, can I stay the 6th year to do ACGME Pain Fellowship? Will RCPSC allow me to do 2nd fellowship on J1 and give me S of N?

** the RCPSC does not approve or disapprove J1 !! ** The college only says whether or not the training you do meets its training requirements and can challenge its examination. They will be annoyed if you ask them to approve the visa.

Doing the non ACGME fellowship first is actually a loophole. you would have to prove you got the non ACGME fellowship first, and the ACGME fellowship after that. you would have to convince health canada that it's a good plan. Might work, might not work. I would not recommend it, but it's up to you.

No I realize it's not RCPSC that approves J1, that is Health Canada.

I meant if RCPSC would allow me to do a second fellowship?
Or should this be addressed to Health Canada specifically?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk