Canadian Student Seeking Financial Aid options and Advice For US Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opto1023

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Iv been accepted into Optometry school in the US and I am looking into ways to receive funding for tuition and living expenses etc. With the conversion rate its very expensive and even with the max amount of loans from the Canadian Government I would still be short by thousands of dollars a year. My family doesn't have any home equity so Home line of credits from the bank are not an option and I don't have a strong enough co-signer (needed when studying abroad) to be eligible for the full 125K student line of credit from any of the banks here, and even if I was I would still be short funds.

Do the schools themselves provide funding or loans for students in similar situations?

If there are any other Canadian students in a similar situation or if you know of any Canadians who have gone through this please send your experiences and feedback. If you know of any alternative ways to receive funding (EXCLUDING PRIVATE LOANS) please feel free to let me know.

Note: I have looked into scholarships provided by the school but even with a couple of those that are even eligible for a Canadian student I would still need a huge chunk to fill the gap. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey im on the same boat as you ! I have called OSAP and if you live in Ontario you can apply for that but applications for 2019-2020 haven't been opened yet. If anyone else has anything share hopefully it helps us out !

hey im on the same boat as you ! I have called OSAP and if you live in Ontario you can apply for that but applications for 2019-2020 haven't been opened yet. If anyone else has anything share hopefully it helps us out !
Hey, im from Alberta and its the same situation herr. Applications open i think june or even july sometime. But even with the full amount from the gov its still not nearly enough. Keep me posted if you hear of anything! Goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Im from Alberta too! If any of you guys figure anything else out would love it if you shared! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I’m in the same situation, did anyone figure something out yet?? I’m currently working 3 jobs to help with my living expenses but I’m still ganna need some help

I applied for a loan in the us through citizens bank and they only give u loan year by year, so the cosigner doesn't need to be too strong since u can apply for anything between 1k to the max first year costs, I think it was pretty good since the interest doesn't add on for the full 4 years. I would suggest looking into that since Canadian banks dont really give a lot of money

Reactions: 1 users
I applied for a loan in the us through citizens bank and they only give u loan year by year, so the cosigner doesn't need to be too strong since u can apply for anything between 1k to the max first year costs, I think it was pretty good since the interest doesn't add on for the full 4 years. I would suggest looking into that since Canadian banks dont really give a lot of money

Did you need a US citizen cosigner though?

Reactions: 1 user
Did you need a US citizen cosigner though?
yes I did, I used someone my dad knew and found a bank that actually deletes the cosigner after some time, so it was a good way to convince this person I barely knew to cosign a loan and not be held responsible

hi I am on the same boat as you in Ontario. did you apply and get any feed back yet?

thanks

hi I am on the same boat as you in Ontario. did you apply and get any feed back yet?

thanks
I submitted the documents, they havent approved them yet, it said 2-3 weeks and its been over 1 week, so hopefully I hear back soon

Starting OD school in Fall from Alberta here. Your best bet is alberta student loans and a student line of credit, and possibly a house equity loan.