Canadian Students - Converting to Semester Credit hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ODDream

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having some problems understanding the whole semester credit hours and quarter hour thing. Here in Canada we have 2 semesters and can take up to 5 classes a semester and each class is worth 3 credits. Now some schools (ICO) want to figure out your GPA using "quality points" / sum of semester credit hours = Science GPA. When I did it there way I was gettin funky numbers, how do I count my classes in terms of the semester credit hours? Like for example chem I and chem II, that is 6 credits of course work what is that equvalent to in terms of semester credit hours is it the same thing? Anyone that can put light :idea: on this matter is my new hero.......thanks in advance.

ODDream

Members don't see this ad.

ODDream said:
I was having some problems understanding the whole semester credit hours and quarter hour thing. Here in Canada we have 2 semesters and can take up to 5 classes a semester and each class is worth 3 credits. Now some schools (ICO) want to figure out your GPA using "quality points" / sum of semester credit hours = Science GPA. When I did it there way I was gettin funky numbers, how do I count my classes in terms of the semester credit hours? Like for example chem I and chem II, that is 6 credits of course work what is that equvalent to in terms of semester credit hours is it the same thing? Anyone that can put light :idea: on this matter is my new hero.......thanks in advance.

ODDream

we have quarters in the US... a credit hour is approx. the number of hours per week of your class... so if you have 2 1hour slots for a course, that would be 2 credit hours

I think the general rule is 1 hour of lecture per week = 1 semester credit hours
and 1 hour of lab or tuitorial per week = 0.5 semester credit hours

so if you have a course with three hours of lecture per week and a three hours of lab:
3 semester hours (lecuture) + 1.5 semester hours (lab) = 4.5 semester hours (total)

Thats how they told me to do it last year and I didn't have any problems. Best of Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
jefguth said:
I think the general rule is 1 hour of lecture per week = 1 semester credit hours
and 1 hour of lab or tuitorial per week = 0.5 semester credit hours

so if you have a course with three hours of lecture per week and a three hours of lab:
3 semester hours (lecuture) + 1.5 semester hours (lab) = 4.5 semester hours (total)

Thats how they told me to do it last year and I didn't have any problems. Best of Luck

Hey Jef or anyone else,

For example ICO (since you got in), if a lecture is 0.5 and a lab is 0.25, how would you calculate it? Or, what would you write down on the requirement sheet where you calculate your GPA. For example, 75 in Chem lecture (0.5 credit) and 80 in Chem lab (0.25) So what would you write down on the sheet and how to calculate? Thanks

duracell said:
Hey Jef or anyone else,

For example ICO (since you got in), if a lecture is 0.5 and a lab is 0.25, how would you calculate it? Or, what would you write down on the requirement sheet where you calculate your GPA. For example, 75 in Chem lecture (0.5 credit) and 80 in Chem lab (0.25) So what would you write down on the sheet and how to calculate? Thanks

Since I went to Waterloo and the labs and lectures (for the most part) are seperate courses I listed each as a seperate coure. Then when calculating my GPA I weighted each grade by either the number of credits or semester hours (either way it should be the same)

If you go to UW or a school with a similar credit system, you can just multiple the course credits recieved there by 6 to get hte semester hours/credits.

For example I would record;

Course % Grade Credit GPA points (out of 4)
CHEM ### 75 B 3 3
CHEM ###L 80 A 1.5 4

GPA = (Grades X Credits) / (Total Credits X 4)
GPA = ((3X3)+(1.5X4))/((3X4)+(1.5X4))

yeah finally figured it out.........i just played with the numbers till it made sense.....now when you hand that sheet in are they looking for you science GPA and you pre-req GPA as well?......also ICO tells you to put "all science coursework, particularly human-based bio science courses" what the hell is that.....like all my bio classes only or include chem, phys. Or do I include Anatomy and Physiology as well? Also for ICO if you have not finised a pre-req (Physics II) can you send them a letter saying that you are in that class?

ODDream