Canadian trained, working in the States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaddiS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a question regarding working in the States. I will be graduating from a Canadian institution, have my board certification in pediatrics in Canada... with that, am I able to write the American Board Exam without my Steps? And then work in the States? Or does one have to write all the Steps... and then write the board exam? Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the specific answer to your question, but did a little digging which may point you in the right direction. By "graduating from a Canadian institution" do you mean residency program?

Glancing through the American Board of Pediatrics site, it seems you get some 'credit' for holding a Canadian license. Here's a list of their eligibility requirements to sit for the exam. I would guess you're eligible from what you've said.

It may be worth contacting them and getting specific information.

Also, here's a link to the USMLE requirements.

If you do find out more, I'm sure it'd be useful to others on this board if you'd be willing to post and tell what you've found out! You could also check out the Canadian subforum in the international SDN forums.