Canadian With Family Studying In States?

Started by DaveSch
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DaveSch

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone - this is my first post although I have been lurking for a while. I am in my second year of prereqs and I am looking for some info on studying at schools in the US. Given how hard Waterloo is to get into, and now with their new prerequisites, I think I may have better luck applying to schools in the states. I was just wondering if there is anyone else here from Canada who has moved their family to the states to study? Some of my concerns are, will my wife be able to work while I am going to school? What kind of financing is available for people in my situation? It's hard to keep motivated to go through all of this schooling with a family and kids when I don't know if I'll be able to get enough financing to study in the US....

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this community and contributing in any way that I can.

🙂
 
Hey Welcome to SDN!

I am a Canadian student currently studying in the US. However, I am not married so I cant offer you definite information on that. But, I know that you will be issued an F-1 visa, and if I am not mistakened your wife will be able to apply for a visa that will enable her to work (i think!...though it may have to be a job on campus, or if she has a specific skill/trade she may be able to get a job with a company and then get legal work status).

Now, financing, that can be a little bit of a problem. Depending on what province you are from, you can apply for student loans from Canada's Student Financial aid, but you wont get anything close to covering the costs of the tuition down here. There is also something called the CANhelp loan that is an interest-bound loan so you will be building up interest on it while you are in school...i think it is 6.8% :S scary I know, but you will be making good cash when you get out of school so! it's a bit of a trade off. Some Schools like ICO are very familiar with Canadian Students, something like 1 in 4 students there are Canadian so that would probably be a helpful school that would have people familiar with the processes involved with Canadians moving their families to the US. Then there is SCO to consider, Memphis has a really low cost of living and it is cheaper in tuition.

I am a student at SCCO and eventhough I love this school with ALL my heart, the cost of living is REALLY high and the tuition is Crazy expensive too so I probably would discourage you from thinking of this as an option. I know NECO and SUNY are also pretty expensive choices.

So, sorry I am not a whole lot of help, but most of the schools are really friendly and helpful and would answer any questions you might have in the process, just give them a ring 🙂

Goodluck!:luck:
 
Thanks for the reply! Yes, financing is a big concern of mine - especially if my wife is unable to work (she is a dental assistant). I'd need financing not only for tuition but supporting a family of 4 for 4 years.

most of the schools are really friendly and helpful and would answer any questions you might have in the process

Schools? Helpful? Wow, I guess I'm used to a certain school in Canada which shall remain unnamed. I have left phone messages, emails, never once have I ever gotten a response from Wat... ummm... from them. I'll have to try contacting some of these other schools you mentioned and see what it's like to actually get some questions answered by a school 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll have to try contacting some of these other schools you mentioned and see what it's like to actually get some questions answered by a school 😉

Try with all your might to stay in Canada. My wife (who I met in OD school) and I have begun to call my student loans "the money it cost to bring us together" rather than student loans. If I thought of them as student loans I would not be a very happy person...err... an even less happy person. 😡

If you can't stay in Canada you'll be able to support your family on loans but I think it will be very difficult to get a work visa for your wife.
 
I would love to stay in Canada and go to Waterloo, but right now it looks like if I do, it will cost me an extra year because of the new prerequisites they have. I can get them all next year except for 1 because of a schedule conflict. On the other hand, if I concentrate on applying to schools in the states, I can finish up the prereqs next year and apply after that. I'm thinking it's almost worth paying all that extra tuition just to get in a year sooner. I'm 35 - not getting any younger lol!
 
Hi! This is my first post on SDC. I am also a Canadian student applying to US Optometry Schools. (SUNY and NECO) If anybody has any advice for Canadians, I would really appreciate it!
 
Hey everyone - this is my first post although I have been lurking for a while. I am in my second year of prereqs and I am looking for some info on studying at schools in the US. Given how hard Waterloo is to get into, and now with their new prerequisites, I think I may have better luck applying to schools in the states. I was just wondering if there is anyone else here from Canada who has moved their family to the states to study? Some of my concerns are, will my wife be able to work while I am going to school? What kind of financing is available for people in my situation? It's hard to keep motivated to go through all of this schooling with a family and kids when I don't know if I'll be able to get enough financing to study in the US....

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this community and contributing in any way that I can.

🙂

If your wife comes with you on your student visa, she will not be able to work. She will need to enter on her own separate working visa. You also will not be able to accept employment other than at your own academic institution, and there are even some limitations on that.

For more information.... www.uscis.gov
 
I would love to stay in Canada and go to Waterloo, but right now it looks like if I do, it will cost me an extra year because of the new prerequisites they have.

I still say spend the extra year in canada, get the new prereqs and _save money_ the four years you are there. Im in my 30's and applying next year, and the prospect of paying 22k cdn minimum for just tuition along with the hassle of being in the us on a visa is daunting. not to mention the trouble your family will have to go through with immigration. 😱

I can get them all next year except for 1 because of a schedule conflict. On the other hand, if I concentrate on applying to schools in the states, I can finish up the prereqs next year and apply after that. I'm thinking it's almost worth paying all that extra tuition just to get in a year sooner. I'm 35 - not getting any younger lol!

....and i can understand the chomping on the bit. 😉 u may want to check out http://www.grasmick.com its the best site for cdn's considering business immigration to the states. check out the forums. :luck:
 
Another option for staying in Canada if UW doesn't work out is orthoptics. There are a number of hospital based programs across Canada (Toronto, Saskatechewan come to mind) and Dalhousie offers a MSc program.

http://cvs.healthprofessions.dal.ca/Orthoptics and OMT/

There is a girl in my class whose husband moved here with her from Ontario and after filling the application he was able to get a work authorization. This was however after a few months of basically not being allowed to work. I would imagine that once you're wife finds work in the US then you'd be able to make things work out. Otherwise, it would be a VERY expensive four years.:scared:

Good Luck
 
Hey all - thanks for the replies, links, and advice! Going to school in the states and trying to move my family there does seem daunting. Having said that, I do think that if I got accepted and could get financing I'd probably try to go for it. My big concern is being able to finance the whole 4 years plus living expenses. Waterloo has always been my first choice but I don't want to rely solely on getting in there. Hopefully it'll all work out 😉
 
There's a Canadian guy in my class that moved here along with his wife and infant kid. And another that moved here with her boyfriend, who got a visa so he could work here.

My advice is to contact schools with large Canadian populations (ICO and PCO come to mind) and ask them to advise you or put you in touch with people at the school that are in a similar boat.