Canadians in Australian schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I am a Canadian looking to apply to UQ and U of sydney medical schools. I'm looking at the application for UQ and it looks surprisingly simple.. All it asks is for me to fill in my personal information, my previous degree and to show proof of my MCAT, transcript, english proficiency and award certificate. The simplicity of this online application makes me a little nervous as I was able to finish filling everything in a few hours. Is this ALL I have to do?! Am I missing something? Can anyone comment? Thank you so much!
Check out University of Wollongong too. Very Canadian friendly admin staff. Smaller International Cohort. Roughly 20 or so but almost 80% are Canadians with to date 100% matched back to Canada to those who wanted to come back home and for those who stayed back did get an internship in Aussie.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out University of Wollongong too. Very Canadian friendly admin staff. Smaller International Cohort. Roughly 20 or so but almost 80% are Canadians with to date 100% matched back to Canada to those who wanted to come back home and for those who stayed back did get an internship in Aussie.

Just going to sum-up a little bit
The pro's and the con's of small schools, based on recent discussions in this thread.

Pros: Small rural schools, usually better supports, more interactive, closeness with peers etc. rural experience and familiarity with rural hospitals that are more likely to hire international students. you feel more like a person, rather than a number. clinical rotation experiences are more practical. it's better suited for particular types of learners, for many offshore students, this is probably the better option as it ends up being a more supportive environment. And quite obviously, this will be the better option for those intending to go into rural medicine.

Cons: refer to links above. and all the answers above. loss of critical mass (this was extensively discussed in previous threads..or maybe even this one months ago). no connection to partner schools overseas (however, as demonstrated by this response, it not absolutely necessary. that said, it is a strong advantage in the context of something very challenging to arrange). less connection to tertiary sites and subspecialties - and potential to start research in those areas. less exposure to subspecialty areas (for instance you're not going to see Neurosurgery as much) and the rare and wonderful.

Bottomline: med school (and residency) is about best fit. Again, great for internationals who want to go rural and stay there. but I rarely see anyone consider what happens after the intern year, which is what all premeds and med students seem to overly focus on. this never changes, I did the same.

For those who are after a career in some subspecialty but start off rural, it does require eventually transferring out of the rural site eventually which can be dependent on luck + hardwork + bit of sacrifice. with how competitive things are now getting, it will become harder and harder for residents to move between hospitals (esp the move from a rural site to a tertiary one). This only matters if you want that medical subspecialty or that surgical subspecialty. Arguably, doesn't matter if you want something in critical care (anesthetics/ED), GP etc. (as was previously discussed in yet another thread by another poster).

Again, going to reference these links: Why Australian doctors' group opposes funding for new medical school. Forecast oversupply of doctors to hit this year amid calls to halt imports. And this one New medical school ‘not the answer’. They should all link to primary sources.

Things are challenging to predict for outcomes 4-5 years from now, or even say, 5-10 years depending on what premeds decide they want to be after med school ends. for those of us in the training pipelines, we can feel the crunch of those statistics. So, always have back up plans and be flexible.

[fyi - I know I'm repeating myself. it's no different when I'm repeating myself to students, about what I taught them last week on rotation. even I forget what I posted in previous threads I don't expect anyone to remember clearly]

Whether international or domestic, in this current generation, I think you'd consider yourself lucky to end up in the training position you wanted. It's not a loss to end up in FM or rural medicine - in that you still get to practice medicine eventually. But you should know that all your problems don't end with obtaining an internship in Australia if for some reason you do not return home. You merely graduate into a different set of problems.

Last edited:
@Bigchau oftentimes high scoring students get rejected because they applied too late in the application cycle. Not sure what happened to this 516 MCAT sydney applicant, but it could have been the reason. That or he completely blew the interview.

Also @medanon19 The more selective they become the fewer students who will apply because they will go somewhere else. Despite this, I think that overall, Australian schools have gotten a little more selective over the years, but it is highly dependent on their yield year to year as their university budgets are highly dependent on full fee paying spots being fully taken up.

You also have to remember that not everyone has access to the kinds of funds required to become a full fee paying international student who has to give up 4 years of income potential to go back to school. It can cost almost 400k in loans or private funds especially with interest. Factor in living expenses. Students are invested in their education with so much on the line.

Schools are not responsible for whether you are able to find a job afterwards or not. Some poorly performing students will also fail out.

I do not see much of a difference in academic performance between full fee paying and domestic students regardless, so I wouldn't worry too much about the simpleness of the application or perceived "easiness" to get into. Schools recognize that as long as students meet a certain GPA and MCAT threshold they can be successful at the next level.

US schools require more extensive extracurriculars and interviews but that has no bearing on whether someone will be successful at this level academically. In fact, having such a straightforward application process is a blessing.

At the end of the day just remember universities who take international students are also a business and not just academic centers and need that money to operate.

@meatloaf22 keep us looped in how your education at Sydney is going. There is lots of info on these forums regarding UQ since so many international students attend, but comparatively little info on Sydney med. I myself am curious as to how they stack up with one another.

I graduated in 2015 and about to finish my residency in Family Med in July 18'. I would say my education at USYD was OK. Pre clinical years was good and fun, but I did not get a comparable experience many of my Canadian colleagues had in 3rd and 4th year (in terms of responsibilities, doing 24h call, procedures etc things many Australians learn as interns). There are lots of opportunities to study and prepare for board exams and lots of opportunities to do electives in Canada if thats the end goal to return. Having said that, I did not notice a huge difference between IMG and CMG 2 after about two months into residency. My classmates matched to OB x2, Peds, Ortho, FM x3. Only one of us who applied for CaRMS did not match my graduating year (8/9).

In terms of an application to CaRMs I would say the most important things are: NAC + QE1 or EE (less important in the coming years) score, Clinical experience in Canada, Reference letters from Canadian attendings. Important but to a lesser degree: MSPR, Personal statements, Research and publications (unless directly related to a particular specialty).

I do agree with all of the things Domperidone has been saying about understanding the huge financial risk, commitment and uncertainty involved with going overseas to pursue medicine. I want to add though that it is possible to match and do well - with the requisite hard work, and a bit of luck.

I'm happy to answer any other questions directed my way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in 2015 and about to finish my residency in Family Med in July 18'. I would say my education at USYD was OK. Pre clinical years was good and fun, but I did not get a comparable experience many of my Canadian colleagues had in 3rd and 4th year (in terms of responsibilities, doing 24h call, procedures etc things many Australians learn as interns). There are lots of opportunities to study and prepare for board exams and lots of opportunities to do electives in Canada if thats the end goal to return. Having said that, I did not notice a huge difference between IMG and CMG 2 after about two months into residency. My classmates matched to OB x2, Peds, Ortho, FM x3. Only one of us who applied for CaRMS did not match my graduating year (8/9).

In terms of an application to CaRMs I would say the most important things are: NAC + QE1 or EE (less important in the coming years) score, Clinical experience in Canada, Reference letters from Canadian attendings. Important but to a lesser degree: MSPR, Personal statements, Research and publications (unless directly related to a particular specialty).

I do agree with all of the things Domperidone has been saying about understanding the huge financial risk, commitment and uncertainty involved with going overseas to pursue medicine. I want to add though that it is possible to match and do well - with the requisite hard work, and a bit of luck.

I'm happy to answer any other questions directed my way.

Thanks meatloaf22 for your insight! Please excuse me if this is a silly question but I'm not really understanding what NAC, QE1, EE or MSPR means. I assume when you say you apply for CaRMs that means you submit your medicine related experiences from Aus to the canadian matching service and they match you to a location for residency in Canada? You mentioned that only one of your classmates didn't match. In that case, what would happen to you if you didn't match to a Canadian location? I guess what I'm wondering is the process of how a Canadian studying med in Australia be able to go back to Canada for residency, would the school in Aus assist with that? and if you don't match, what would happen? What are the chances of an international student staying in Aus? Based on the stats you provided though if 8/9 of your classmates got a match in Canada for residency, that sounds pretty promising...

You also mentioned that one of the most important things for application to CaRMs is clinical experience in Canada and references from Canadian attendings. How do you get these Canadian experiences/connections? Did you do a practicum in Canada while studying at the University of Sydney? How easy is it to do a practicum in Canada?

Thank you!

Thanks for mentioning this university! I just looked at their international applicants booklet and was just wondering about the chance of getting residency in Australia. In the booklet it said that "it is now more difficult for international students studying at an Australian medical school to obtain an internship position. Australian citizens who hold Commonwealth Supported Places in medical schools have been guaranteed an internship upon graduation from a medical program within NSW; however, at the time of printing, this guarantee does not extend to international students". You mentioned that those Canadians who stayed back did get an internship in Aus, was it extremely competitive?

Thanks meatloaf22 for your insight! Please excuse me if this is a silly question but I'm not really understanding what NAC, QE1, EE or MSPR means. I assume when you say you apply for CaRMs that means you submit your medicine related experiences from Aus to the canadian matching service and they match you to a location for residency in Canada? You mentioned that only one of your classmates didn't match. In that case, what would happen to you if you didn't match to a Canadian location? I guess what I'm wondering is the process of how a Canadian studying med in Australia be able to go back to Canada for residency, would the school in Aus assist with that? and if you don't match, what would happen? What are the chances of an international student staying in Aus? Based on the stats you provided though if 8/9 of your classmates got a match in Canada for residency, that sounds pretty promising...

You also mentioned that one of the most important things for application to CaRMs is clinical experience in Canada and references from Canadian attendings. How do you get these Canadian experiences/connections? Did you do a practicum in Canada while studying at the University of Sydney? How easy is it to do a practicum in Canada?

Thank you!

NAC - National Assessment Collaboration Examination
MCCQE1 - Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part one
MCCEE - Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination
These are the exams you need to do-and do very well in-in order to take your degree from Australia and apply for a residency in Canada.

MSPR - Medical Student Performance Record - essentially a description of the medical school curriculum and composite of all of your evaluations during your clinical rotations. Comments that your preceptors have made about your performance, areas of strength, competency, character etc. They will also put in areas of concern if there are any - which is a big red flag if present. This is generally a document that you will not be able to see.

Eg. Psychiatry Core Rotation, 8 week block, Feb 1 - Mar 31. Preceptor: Dr. Freud
"medanon19 demonstrated superior competency during this rotation. He/she was empathic, keen and adapted very well during this rotation. He/she was very perceptive when interviewing psychiatric patients and was thorough in the mental state exam. I would place this student in the top 10 percentile of previous learners in my last 20 years of teaching..." etc.
OR
"this student was frequently late and rude. He would often look at his phone during patient encounters and has broken patient confidentiality on many occasions" haha please screen for comments like these on your evals, do your best not to have this in your MSPR.

CaRMs is the central matching program in Canada that facilitates where everyone will match in Canada. Think of the Harry Potter sorting hat on steroids. Do some research on this and have a look at their statistics on matching rates. The NRMP is the same idea but for the American match.

If you do not match you are screwed. I suppose you can do research, do "clinical traineeships" which are like electives to help get a better reference letter and improve your CV and apply to next years match. Alternatively you can try to match in the States, or apply to Australia for internship/CMI if that is an option.

Aside from providing you ample time to do electives during your clinical rotations, and writing you an MSPR, the school does not help much with the match process. You are on your own.

What are the chances of staying in Australia? I didn't stay so I don't know. I imagine things are getting tougher every year. So far though I think everyone who wanted to stay was able to find an internship position if willing to go to a hospital out of the city. There is a program called the CMI which allows you to do internship in a private hospital. The problem remains that internship does not guarantee anything after completed. You still have to compete with everyone for specialty training spots which is a bottleneck as you get to PGY3-4. Maybe you have to settle for rural family medicine or internal medicine. I am probably not the best person to speak on this and will defer the process of staying in Australia to Domperidone or Pitmann. My friends who have stayed in Australia are doing great and really enjoy their lives in the sun. They are only PGY2 though so we'll see how things evolve for them in the next few years in terms of getting onto a college training program.

To get clinical experience in Canada you apply during your elective time to do rotations in Canada. Generally each university in Canada will have a process of facilitating this. UBC is pretty straight forward to do, in Ontario there is a central program that kind of is a lottery. You can also apply to do electives with a doctor you personally know or who would be willing to take you on. This is a bit of work as you need to apply for a separate license from the Provincial college of physicians and surgeons, get malpractice insurance, an apply to the hospital (if it is hospital based) for privileges. USYD has a partnership agreement with some of the Ontario universities called the Pacific bridge program - it was pretty competitive I think.

Sorry that was kind of all over the place. Hope it was helpful.

I was thinking of jumping in again. But I think there's a strong risk of information overload.

If there's specific questions medanon has for me I'll try to answer, but they're so broad at this stage...
or directed at other posters (i.e. wanting to know the exact outcomes of wollongong grads)

Competitiveness of Australian internships:
- yes, it is competitive, but not in the same sense as the match in the US and Canada.
(I've covered this extensively before, but happy to answer again if specifically asked)
- vast majority of international grads will end up in rural hospitals. that is the current trend, and that is not likely to change. I've linked a bunch of articles to this effect already.
- depending on what you wish to be after grad, can be competitive to get a position after the intern year.

the Australian Internship - it is one year.
- if you wish to focus on getting this one year contract alone, which has always been the goal or sole priority of so many desperate international pre meds and students, you can.
- if you ask the domestic Aussies, some only think intern year alone too, but many are savvier than that.

What happens after the internship year?
- I'm happy to cover this further, if there are specific questions.
- But I don't think this is being asked by medanon at this stage.
- Not that I don't think it's worth knowing, but I don't think the information is going to sink in (I'm not convinced they care to know either at this stage, they're stuck at the point of just wanting to know if there's the possibility of internship after grad).

Emphasis on differences
- Canada and the US are similar to each other in how their medical education and subsequent training is structured
- Australia is more in line with the UK, and both the UK and Australia follow different systems of education/training to Canada and the US
- I agree with the observations made by meatloaf, not going to rehash. Completely. I've no more to add to that.

So, with regards to matching in either Canada or the US
- 9 applicants to a match from USyd only represents 9 who made it to point of application, I think it's important not to get carried away by this, worries me that this is interpreted as "super promising" by a pre-med. (sorry, just using it as an example, not making actual comment or observation on the statistic)
- it is only 'super promising' if you can make it to point of application
- making it to that point - which meatloaf's post would have demonstrated - requires a lot of hard work and dedication/commitment outside of your regular medical studies
- i can't overstate this, but not all international students of North American backgrounds are going to make it to this point (the exception is UQO - but that's an American-Australian school) there's 1000s of international students attending schools in Australia, all of various backgrounds. with how low the threshold of gaining entry into a med school (as an international) is, you get a very broad range of applicants or students.
- there are cases where students struggling through medical school are not going to be prepared to commit time outside of med school to board exams. you just can't, no degree means no job anywhere period.
- other students will have scored poorly on the boards and are not about to apply further
- the caveat to this is, that if you're a stellar applicant, and you work hard, you will continue to be so during medical school, and you'll do well. the opportunities are there, they require more self-directed-ness on your part to access compared to staying home for school, but they are there.
- but..if you're struggling, there is going to be more risk. it's not impossible, but your odds aren't going to be the same as someone who had great GPAs, MCATs and merely got unlikely with getting into a school at home (too many applicants during a cycle or got too anxious at the interviews etc). poor study habits (unless changed) will follow you into medical school.
- i mention the MCAT is a baby exam compared to the board exams? try to conceive of studying for 'harder' exams that are twice as long, while juggling med school

Chiming in with some more (purely anecdotal) accounts I've seen:

[Domperidone, I know you might take issue with this - "but this is just anecdotal and does not reflect the reality and etc etc" but I'm just saying, this is my perspective on things. In my experience, if people really want something, they will ignore all the negatives and focus more on the positives anyway no matter how many times you tell them it's a bad idea.]

1) All the peeps in my cohort (and in cohorts before me) that matched back to Canada successfully all had outstanding test scores (eg >400s on EE)/heaps of overseas rotations/glowing references.
I will say that in my cohort at least, the Canadians were all pretty self-aware of whether or not we had a competitive application for CaRMS.

2) A close friend of mine who also studied in Australia did not have the above scores has been unsuccessfully trying to match back in Canada for the past 2 years - and hasn't even managed to gain a single interview for CaRMS. He did not have any test failures on EE/NAC/etc - rather, his scores were all borderline passes. This will get you filtered out at almost all Canadian residency programs not matter how good other parts of your app are.
Plus it's just going to be more difficult the further away from graduation you are - chances of matching drop exponentially each year.

3) Internship (at least in my state) this year has seemed easier to get - I knew of final year international students that were able to get an internship spot as early as July this year (some into large tertiary hospitals). That and CMI is undersubscribed this year so it looks like the internship bottleneck has eased a bit.

4) The bottleneck has definitely hit registrar training and above.
a)Peds - there were like 3500 candidates for 600 Peds BPT spots (or something like that) earlier this year.
b) Likewise, despite what everyone thinks, GP training is NOT easy to get into, it's just less competitive than say Peds.
c) In fact, it's probably easiest to get a Emergency Medicine spot - seriously, like the majority of the locum spots are for ED residents/fellows. Getting the ACEM fellowship is another matter.
d) Those wanting surgery - good luck getting on the program before PGY5 (and that's only if you managed to impress your surg bosses during the first few years)
e) There are an unusual amount of newly minted Gastro/Nephrology/IM specialties consultants that are having trouble finding a staff specialist job. All that effort of getting through BPT and AT - what's the point?
Meanwhile, there were actually quite a few BPT spots open during the 2nd round of JMO recruitment this year....probably b/c nobody can get a job in their field once they finish.
f) Psych actually does reject quite a few people, believe it or not. Likewise with pathology.

Basically, have a realistic idea of how strong (or weak) your application is if you're applying back home to CaRMS. If staying in Australia, you have options, you just need to be smart about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Actually I agree to what you're reporting about the Australian post-grad training bottlenecks.
I would post the same anecdotal observations (or 'experience').

I mean..hmm.
I wrote a few drafts then discarded them.
having felt that medanon falls under the bracket (that you've observed) - of 'has made up their mind to go to Australia for school', and *potentially only wants to see the positives. Nothing else said will change that. But more than that, I don't think they're wanting to hear more at this particular point or they're still trying to wrap their head around what's already been divulged to them.

But if the cat's out of the bag.

I will say that in my cohort at least, the Canadians were all pretty self-aware of whether or not we had a competitive application for CaRMS.
Nowadays, most current medical students are 'self-aware' by the time they get to 3rd or 4th year, that applies to both people applying to the US or Canadian match. As in, the processes are very involved, requiring advanced planning. Premeds and pre-clinical years won't get a real sense of it until they get through a couple of milestones. Regardless, it's hard to maintain a level of commitment to studies outside of medical school once med school starts. It's hard to predict how that will all unfold until you get closer to the end. I've seen both success and disappointments to that effect. And everything in between.

I have (or had) friends/classmates in #2 as well.
It's not many...but they're a) unemployed (but at home), b) employed - but not at home (i.e. working in Australia and trying again to match at home, or Singapore - yes Singapore despite not being Singaporean), c) working in a field they did not want (i.e. they wanted med, they now have psych, it's the only one that would take them or rural FM). It's so easy to say it's a rare occurrence (which it is - making it to point of applying and not have it work out), but it was very devastating for a few. I take it for granted, but not everyone wants to just get a job anywhere, it has to be home after 4 years because they have a spouse unable to move or sick parent etc. Others just carried on, and it wasn't such a huge deal. It doesn't have to be, if you don't want it to be.

# 3 internship - actually the CMIs have always been 'undersubscribed', with the exception of one year, since their creation. they're very stringent about eligibility, which partly accounts for it. whether that will continue - no idea. things fluctuate a lot in this country. I've discussed in other threads, not really going to rehash too much unless it's specifically asked again. Will you get an internship? if you're a final year med student probably, even 3rd year that's asking, beyond that I'm never confident of speculating. when I started med school there was no CMI, because there was no need for any - there were enough state internships for the numbers of 'serious' applicants. And now we have up to 80-100 'extra' interns each year that are purely international students. I've no idea how long this will last, because overall student class sizes are still increasing based on MDANZ numbers, they haven't been static. There's still students who currently leave for home after, which is another variable. similarly, this year's batch of new med students had to adjust themselves to new VISA changes that will affect them on grad - hopefully this may cause more to concentrate on going off-shore (to offset the increase in class sizes), but I don't know.

there's been some criticisms levelled against CMIs as well, as it's purely private or rural hospital based, but that's for another day/another thread/time. it's another subjective topic. Regardless, it's an internship. it gets you registration.

# 4 - bottlenecks.
a) peds - yep, have friends/coworkers who have given up on peds and are now GP registrars with upskilling in peds. they gave up applying to peds after PGY3 or 4. in every state there's only 1-2 hospitals that train peds trainees, so it's tough getting a foot into those doors.

c) (anecdotal) - hard to get a FACEM (ED attending) position at a tertiary site or one that offers trauma.
depending on state - hard to get a job that isn't rural or private. So, it's less appealing if you really wanted trauma. Requires flexibility. but yes, generally easier to get onto the training program if you do their entrance exams, gain enough points, have completed PGY2. There's bucketloads of UK ED registrars.

d) would be lucky to even get on for PGY 5 or PGY 6. provided you meet their points system.

e) a lot of young med subspecialty consultants will have to work as rural gen med physicians, that happen to be certified in doing scopes or doing echocardiograms & MIBIs. already know more than a few in this category. Anecdotal to be sure, but that's where some will end up, others, end up in private practice or do crazy amounts of research and fellowships overseas..and what have you in order to work at a tertiary site.
exception (I think) is geri, geri is like the one growing field.

BPT spots fluctuate every year, it really depends on how popular it is within a class or year group. *Interest tends to drop after BPT1 too, to no surprise. Some will realize it's not for them and get out while they can. or they get disillusioned by what's potentially waiting for them - they realize it's ridiculously hard to be an interventional cardiologist (you have to pass those ridiculously hard BPT exams, get onto cardio AT and then if lucky, get cardio fellowships) and they definitely don't want to end up in gen med if all that fails (as a fake example). because that's exactly what awaits if plan A fails. it's really hard to start over in another subspec.

Rural med is the only thing that isn't competitive.
Because we actually desperately need more rural practitioners.

we (as in, in general as thread) hadn't touched on it earlier, but for the more competitive fields, you have to do research now to even get have a shot at them.

which means having access to sites that offer rotations in those fields, and consultants capable of supervising. they usually need you to be connected to their home hospital, because almost always, they need someone with immediate access to patient data.

It's not unusual now to hear about people doing research masters or PhDs to get into ATs (or just be consultants at a competitive hospital site).

I've nothing against anecdotal things, I do the same, so long as it's been made clear (for the sake of premeds) and is within context or has substance.

statements that aren't like..oh deakin's dodgy because it's world ranking is non-existent. every school has it's special focus, if it's a rural school it's about practical skills and pumping out rural generalists for Australia. it won't have as much research so the rankings are not going to be high.

Last edited:
I have (or had) friends/classmates in #2 as well.
I take it for granted, but not everyone wants to just get a job anywhere, it has to be home after 4 years because they have a spouse unable to move or sick parent etc. Others just carried on, and it wasn't such a huge deal. It doesn't have to be, if you don't want it to be.

I guess I was trying to say that a number of those peeps should have had the self-awareness to realize that their applications would be unsuccessful before tossing all their eggs into the CaRMS/NRMP basket. The thing is, as an international, you're hampered enough by debt/extra exams/visas without all these rigid I-must-get-into-this-field-and-in-this-country mindset especially if you don't have the numbers to match.

I've nothing against anecdotal things, I do the same, so long as it's been made clear (for the sake of premeds) and is within context or has substance.

statements that aren't like..oh deakin's dodgy because it's world ranking is non-existent. every school has it's special focus, if it's a rural school it's about practical skills and pumping out rural generalists for Australia. it won't have as much research so the rankings are not going to be high.

Fair enough.

Though now I will probably bring more doom and gloom when I say that getting a rural med staff specialist job is getting increasingly difficult too...! (ie people, don't make that your sole back-up option).

And when I say rural, I mean at least a good 6+ hour drive from Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne rural. Middle of NT/SA is another story but will admit I'm not as familiar with that....

For example, I did half my JMO year at a fairly large rural hospital. Can confirm that particular hospital had filled up their staff specialist quotas for 1) nephrologists 2) neurologists 3) cardiologists 4) O&G - and none of those bosses were retiring anytime soon! IMO, they probably had room for at least one more gastro and one more gen surg and maybe another resp consultant but that was about it!

Maybe that's not the case for smaller rural hospitals but then they probably need more gen med consultants than they do particular specialties.

Now psychiatrists on the other hand - can confirm almost all psych bosses ANYWHERE rural can pretty much write their own checks. Heck, that hospital I mentioned above doesn't even have even 1 permanent psych consultant on the roster - and they desperately needed one.

Last edited:
I guess I was trying to say that a number of those peeps should have had the self-awareness to realize that their applications would be unsuccessful before tossing all their eggs into the CaRMS/NRMP basket. The thing is, as an international, you're hampered enough by debt/extra exams/visas without all these rigid I-must-get-into-this-field-and-in-this-country mindset especially if you don't have the numbers to match.
Ah right, I see what you mean.
Yea I agree.

Most that fall into the category of knowing they won't get past the first stages of filtering don't apply. There's so many de-motivating steps as it is. At least currently and previously that's been the case. It's rare that they continue to drag their poor souls through the mud only to be rejected.

*addit - if further changes (similar to the recent VISA changes) that make it more challenging to stay in Australia, there's always the possibility more will be determined to try to match back no matter the odds. Or more will simply have to, as is the case with Ireland. Its speculative, however.

For example, I did half my JMO year at a fairly large rural hospital. Can confirm that particular hospital had filled up their staff specialist quotas for 1) nephrologists 2) neurologists 3) cardiologists 4) O&G - and none of those bosses were retiring anytime soon! IMO, they probably had room for at least one more gastro and one more gen surg and maybe another resp consultant but that was about it!

I actually forgot about the larger rural hospitals momentarily. But go figure, :(. I guess it'll lucky if ATs end up as consultants in the subspecialties they trained in.

And yea, I was referring to smaller rural hospitals, 100-200 beds. Where medical ATs may end up having to take up consultant gen med positions (and do whatever their AT was on the side, like private outpatient clinics or having a scope list in OT). It already happens to a degree (as they all have to pass the same BPT exam). Not to say it's permanent, it's still possible to move elsewhere with more CV padding (like another research degree) or experience.

There's already plenty of trainees that do dual training in gen med/other subspecialty. It's not always willingly done, some start gen med fellowships while they wait to get into whatever AT they originally wanted.

It's less flexible for surgeons, you can't go from being a neurosurgeon to a general one. Or go from Dermatology to Gen med, but there's still the option of private practice only.
Or so I've been told - not that I've actually gotten that far.

With it being doom and gloom...
I mean yea, to a degree, truly, we're kinda f*'d in one sense of things. but it's about perspective in a way. There's still jobs in Australia, it just means being more persistent or patient. Or it means compromising with geographical location or specialty, at least for a period of time. It's great for rural and regional communities, if more grads eventually end up there. And yea, still a great time for rural psych and geri. Geri Psych too.

Maybe, eventually, it'll lead to some needed changes or appropriate reforms over the training pipeline, with enough pressure. That's me being very, very optimistic. And hopefully not more misguided changes in the wrong direction. The government's thought of it before, starting with the intern year (http://www.coaghealthcouncil.gov.au/portals/0/review of medical intern training final report publication version.pdf) and is still considering it now (Medical Board of Australia - AMC and Medical Board join forces on intern survey), with how medical schools prepare grads. There were thoughts to either adopting the UK foundation years or go the North American way, neither of which Australia's training system is ready for.

I don't think there's anything wrong in being very open and honest about realities actually being experienced with premeds - whether by students on the curriculum or board exams, or residents/trainees on post-grad training. Even if it happens to be a gloomy picture. It is what it is.

I think it's important for premeds on the fence to know (that is those unsure if it's the right choice for them). Or for those who jump in without so much as a thought about the risks and feel blind sided later. For many there's eventually a moment the shoe drops during medical school, and it just unleashes toxicity. It's not healthy, not considering how long training is and high the debts can go.

There's nothing wrong with positivity, actually it leads to resilience in some. So long as the thought was there at some point, about compromise.

Last edited:
Hello, does anyone know whether the University of Melbourne or University of Sydney applications are open for 2019 entry? I'm applying through Oztrekk and I was told applications weren't open yet but I just found a link on the University of Melbourne site that said applications opened Mar 2018... is this correct?! Do Oztrekk applications open later or something? I'm a little worried

Hello, does anyone know whether the University of Melbourne or University of Sydney applications are open for 2019 entry? I'm applying through Oztrekk and I was told applications weren't open yet but I just found a link on the University of Melbourne site that said applications opened Mar 2018... is this correct?! Do Oztrekk applications open later or something? I'm a little worried
You should ask Oztrekk that question if there is discrepancy as they are pretty good with their applicants .

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea...
Don't worry or panic.
Oztrekkk only makes money if you accept an offer and go. It's in their best interest to get applications in.

Also, have you called either university? Or talked to Oztrekk?
As opposed to freaking out in some random internet forum. You should be going directly to the "official sources" for these things if you're not sure and it's distressing you.

Hey everyone,

I am a Canadian and I am debating if I should go to Australia or Ireland (RCSI) for med school. I've been accepted into both programs and am now trying to gain some more insight before making a life-altering decision. Specifically, I was wondering if I attempt to head back to Canada from the Australian schools, will that affect my application significantly if I was unable to match back to NA and decided to stay in Australia? I ask this because I know that one of the ways to gain some advantage of matching back to NA is to get clinical experiences and LoRs through electives in NA, but I was wondering would that raise some red flags in my application for internship if I decided in my final year to stay in Australia (due to low board exam scores or other factors)?

I have read that internship programs are now highly skeptical about hiring international Australia graduates that don't seem committed to stay in Australia. And if that's the case, I was planning to just give up in doing the international steps in order to better secure a position post graduation in Australia.

Hey everyone,

I am a Canadian and I am debating if I should go to Australia or Ireland (RCSI) for med school. I've been accepted into both programs and am now trying to gain some more insight before making a life-altering decision. Specifically, I was wondering if I attempt to head back to Canada from the Australian schools, will that affect my application significantly if I was unable to match back to NA and decided to stay in Australia? I ask this because I know that one of the ways to gain some advantage of matching back to NA is to get clinical experiences and LoRs through electives in NA, but I was wondering would that raise some red flags in my application for internship if I decided in my final year to stay in Australia (due to low board exam scores or other factors)?

I have read that internship programs are now highly skeptical about hiring international Australia graduates that don't seem committed to stay in Australia. And if that's the case, I was planning to just give up in doing the international steps in order to better secure a position post graduation in Australia.
Just pick one and accept the risks. You're correct in all your points.

Thing is you haven't done electives or written your boards yet for home - as you're years away. You've done the best you can in weighing between the 2 options as a premed. It's up to chance and your own ability is really the answer. The cards are stacked against you as off shore vs Canadian or US MD.

Do your electives or SubI at home when the time comes. Attempt the boards. That will be as close as you get to a real answer. in the mean time - quoting another poster - roll the dice.

Also.. have you considered or as applied for US DO? Asking in the event this has not occurred to you.

Last edited:
Just pick one and accept the risks. You're correct in all your points.

Thing is you haven't done electives or written your boards yet for home - as you're years away. You've done the best you can in weighing between the 2 options as a premed. It's up to chance and your own ability is really the answer. The cards are stacked against you as off shore vs Canadian or US MD.

Do your electives or SubI at home when the time comes. Attempt the boards. That will be as close as you get to a real answer. in the mean time - quoting another poster - roll the dice.

Also.. have you considered or as applied for US DO? Asking in the event this has not occurred to you.

Hey thanks for the reply! So I'm hearing that I should give the Canadian pathway a try while I'm in Australia with a caveat that I'l have to be extra convincing that I am committed to stay in Australia if the original plan goes south (pun intended). Is that right?

I've unfortunately have heard of the USDO pathway only relatively recently (at least the part that they are considered CMG during CaRMS). I'm a bit of an older person (late 20s) and I'm scared to waste another year to roll the dice. My marks arent stellar (81%), my MCAT is 513 but the 124 CARS killed me, and I sadly don't have any good reference letter from an academic point of view. I was shy with interacting with professors in an academic manner (my marks made me feel inadequate). However I have good character and work references from principal investigators and clinician scientists since I worked in research while doing co-op during my undergrad and worked as a research tech in 2 different labs after graduation. From what I gathered, it seems like USDO requires an academic reference.

Hey thanks for the reply! So I'm hearing that I should give the Canadian pathway a try while I'm in Australia with a caveat that I'l have to be extra convincing that I am committed to stay in Australia if the original plan goes south (pun intended). Is that right?

I've unfortunately have heard of the USDO pathway only relatively recently (at least the part that they are considered CMG during CaRMS). I'm a bit of an older person (late 20s) and I'm scared to waste another year to roll the dice. My marks arent stellar (81%), my MCAT is 513 but the 124 CARS killed me, and I sadly don't have any good reference letter from an academic point of view. I was shy with interacting with professors in an academic manner (my marks made me feel inadequate). However I have good character and work references from principal investigators and clinician scientists since I worked in research while doing co-op during my undergrad and worked as a research tech in 2 different labs after graduation. From what I gathered, it seems like USDO requires an academic reference.
Post in the DO what are my chances forum and see what they say. I think it's worth trying. At least retake the MCAT.

Late 20s isn't old. You end up in Australia residency in yrs is 2x-3x as long as it is in North America. How long do you want to be a resident for?

Always apply back home as back up. Easier said than done. Doesn't matter where - at least attempt your boards and do your away electives. It's your way out no matter where you go, if you can't get a job or realize you don't like training in the country you attended school. That shouldn't be hard to understand. But indeed, if you enter the match, no Australian hosp will hire you. At least take the boards no matter where you go and prepare.

Regardless... it's hot air to talk about whatever residency pathway. You're years away from boards and we're talking exams twice as long as the MCAT requiring greater dedication to pass. You'd also have to score higher on those boards on average to get the same outcome or opportunities as any AMG or CMG who would have had higher mcat scores than you to matriculate.

Easy in now, harder on your life in the long run. But you've already made up your mind.

Chiming in with some more (purely anecdotal) accounts I've seen - and I say this as a fellow Canadian who decided to remain behind in Australia for internship/prevocational training.

[Domperidone, I know you might take issue with this - "but this is just anecdotal and does not reflect the reality and etc etc" but I'm just saying, this is my perspective on things. In my experience, if people really want something, they will ignore all the negatives and focus more on the positives anyway no matter how many times you tell them it's a bad idea.]

1) All the peeps in my cohort (and in cohorts before me) that matched back to Canada successfully all had outstanding test scores (eg >400s on EE)/heaps of overseas rotations/glowing references.

2) A close friend of mine who also studied in Australia did not have the above scores has been unsuccessfully trying to match back in Canada for the past 2 years - and hasn't even managed to gain a single interview for CaRMS. He did not have any test failures on EE/NAC/etc - rather, his scores were all borderline passes. This will get you filtered out at almost all Canadian residency programs not matter how good other parts of your app are.
Plus it's just going to be more difficult the further away from graduation you are - chances of matching drop exponentially each year.

3) Internship (at least in NSW) this year has seemed easier to get - I knew of final year international students that were able to get a NSW Health internship spot as early as July this year (some into large tertiary hospitals in Sydney). That and CMI is undersubscribed this year so it looks like the internship bottleneck has eased a bit.

4) The bottleneck has definitely hit registrar training and above.
a)Peds - there were like 3500 candidates for 600 Peds BPT spots (or something like that) earlier this year.
b) Likewise, despite what everyone thinks, GP training is NOT easy to get into, it's just less competitive than say Peds.
c) In fact, it's probably easiest to get a Emergency Medicine spot - seriously, like the majority of the locum spots are for ED residents/fellows. Getting the ACEM fellowship is another matter.
d) Those wanting surgery - good luck getting on the program before PGY5 (and that's only if you managed to impress your surg bosses during the first few years)
e) There are an unusual amount of newly minted Gastro/Nephrology/IM specialties consultants that are having trouble finding a staff specialist job. All that effort of getting through BPT and AT - what's the point?
Meanwhile, there were actually quite a few BPT spots open during the 2nd round of JMO recruitment this year....probably b/c nobody can get a job in their field once they finish.
f) Psych actually does reject quite a few people, believe it or not. Likewise with pathology.

Basically, have a realistic idea of how strong (or weak) your application is if you're applying back home to CaRMS. If staying in Australia, you have options, you just need to be smart about it.

Hello marble30
I'm interested to know what happened to your close friend you mentioned in #2 above. Since they didn't match back to Canada (assuming they're Canadian to begin with), where did they end up? Did they end up with an internship in Australia? Match to US?

Hello marble30
I'm interested to know what happened to your close friend you mentioned in #2 above. Since they didn't match back to Canada (assuming they're Canadian to begin with), where did they end up? Did they end up with an internship in Australia? Match to US?

The friend in the #2 example remains unmatched 3 years post graduation, unfortunately, despite completing all the Canadian exams and applying widely. He moved back to Canada immediately after graduation (ie without doing internship) so he would need to do the AMC exams to come back to Australia to even do internship (and that's only if he manages to beat out all the other AMC candidates for an intern spot). I'm hoping that things will work out for him, but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited:
just roll the dice. both are small schools that are rural or regional. both are going to lack infrastructure and support for matching overseas. makes very little difference.

I hear you, but I'm still hesitant given the difference between the two state's intern selection systems

I hear you, but I'm still hesitant given the difference between the two state's intern selection systems
Either you accept the risk or don't and try harder for home. in 4-5 yrs the priority system could be utterly different in either state in any direction. doesnt matter. you wont necessarily have any luxury of knowing. that's the risk you take. regardless... you will mostly likely end up rural. so there is that.

Don’t know much about Deakin but Wollongong has to date 100% matching for Canadians and those who chose not to come back have matched in Australia. Wollongong typically takes in 10 to 14 Canadians.

Don’t know much about Deakin but Wollongong has to date 100% matching for Canadians and those who chose not to come back have matched in Australia. Wollongong typically takes in 10 to 14 Canadians.
Yeaaa. would take n = less than 10-14 with a grain of salt.

I have been following this forum for years. A few years ago i was also a wide eyed premed with no real understanding of the Australian system and decided to take the plunge into medicine in Australia.
1."who chose not to come back" I can guarantee you almost everyone would like to go back, but roughly one student/year has been able to match back to Canada. I know of several who wrote the exams did their electives and went unmatched.
2. UOW is a rural medical school, which probably helps for international medical students, but some students have been also dependent on CMI( If you don't know what that is you need to spend more time reading about the current internship climate)
3. Internship is only step one, obtaining a "residency" position is a whole different story. I don't want to get into all the details now but its not uncommon to spend 3-5 years post medical degree trying to get into a program. Being away from your'e family and friends for years and finding yourself stuck in a system where you're really are not progressing can be a nightmare for some people.

Reactions: 2 users
This might help you to see how the Internationals are faring in NSW :
https://www.heti.nsw.gov.au/__data/...linical-year-Medical-Graduate-Recruitment.pdf
You keep posting stats. Like that's it.
These are intern ones again. Yes stats can be useful but you have to be careful with them. Additionally, I never recommend relying on present day stats to predict a future 4-5 yrs from now or someone's happiness with their choice.

The students are so much more than numbers we boil them down to. If you're optimistic great, but not everyone is going to share that. International students are incredibly diverse. You go to QLD most are North American, but in South Australia and the majority is Singaporean or Malaysian. Many say they don't mind rural, but most have never lived there. And how do you know you won't change your mind during school or residency? you can't. Hence being careful when you post.

You're graduating 2020? If you're a student, wait until you've gone worked a bit before offering advice on it. It's a bit like a premed telling a med student how to study for their med school exams or the boards. Still of value, but it's missing a degree of depth. You also risk regret later if you care about the people you offer advice to.

Last edited:
I have been following this forum for years. A few years ago i was also a wide eyed premed with no real understanding of the Australian system and decided to take the plunge into medicine in Australia.
1."who chose not to come back" I can guarantee you almost everyone would like to go back, but roughly one student/year has been able to match back to Canada. I know of several who wrote the exams did their electives and went unmatched.
2. UOW is a rural medical school, which probably helps for international medical students, but some students have been also dependent on CMI( If you don't know what that is you need to spend more time reading about the current internship climate)
3. Internship is only step one, obtaining a "residency" position is a whole different story. I don't want to get into all the details now but its not uncommon to spend 3-5 years post medical degree trying to get into a program. Being away from your'e family and friends for years and finding yourself stuck in a system where you're really are not progressing can be a nightmare for some people.

ab6463253, are you a student at UOW or Deakin? How do you like it there?

I just have a question regarding the Australian pathway for Canadians who want to stay in Aus. From my understanding, after 4 years of school-->1 year of internship --> 1 year RMO--> australian residency 3-8 years--> fully licensed dr

I'm wondering, for Canadians who wish to stay in Australia and avoid the whole CARMs nightmare and risk of not matching back to Canada, would they have to complete the entire pathway (~10 years), become a fully licensed Dr and then write the NAC OSCE and MCCQE exams to practice in Canada as a Dr?

Just trying to figure out what the backup route looks like if staying in Australia

Last edited:
I just have a question regarding the Australian pathway for Canadians who want to stay in Aus. From my understanding, after 4 years of school-->1 year of internship --> 1 year RMO--> australian residency 3-8 years--> fully licensed dr

I'm wondering, for Canadians who wish to stay in Australia and avoid the whole CARMs nightmare and risk of not matching back to Canada, would they have to complete the entire pathway (~10 years), become a fully licensed Dr and then write the NAC OSCE and MCCQE exams to practice in Canada as a Dr?

Just trying to figure out what the backup route looks like if staying in Australia

If you get fellowship of an Australian medical specialty college, you probably will need to write the equivalent specialist exams. My understanding is that the NAC OSCE and MCCEE are more for if you want to get onto a Canadian residency program. For example, there used to be reciprocal agreement with the family medicine college (CFPC) whereby if you were FRACGP then you could easily apply to get FCFPC without having to do an exam. Not sure about the RCPSC though.

Last edited:

I am in a similar situation as XenoSed above. I have just been offered admission to USyd and is considering it. I've been reading all these posts in this forum from the active members and can see both the pros and cons of being an international student in Aus. Part of me wants to accept this opportunity as a new experience to learn from and try out but the other part realizes that it's really risky. I'm also in my late 20s, marks in the mid 80%, MCAT CARs is 123 (which is not enough to apply to Canadian schools but have written it few times and don't know if I should try again to reach the minimum to apply), has a really good EC experience and few years of experience as a healthcare professional. Part of me feels like if I could just make it to the CARs cut off I could be a competitive applicant but then there's this USyd chance to go now and not have to re-do the mcat. Don't know what to do :( can anybody share their take on this?

Also side question: how important is the ranking of the school when it comes to matching/practicing? The reason why I'm seriously considering USyd is because the international ranking is high. But does this matter?

I am in a similar situation as XenoSed above. I have just been offered admission to USyd and is considering it. I've been reading all these posts in this forum from the active members and can see both the pros and cons of being an international student in Aus. Part of me wants to accept this opportunity as a new experience to learn from and try out but the other part realizes that it's really risky. I'm also in my late 20s, marks in the mid 80%, MCAT CARs is 123 (which is not enough to apply to Canadian schools but have written it few times and don't know if I should try again to reach the minimum to apply), has a really good EC experience and few years of experience as a healthcare professional. Part of me feels like if I could just make it to the CARs cut off I could be a competitive applicant but then there's this USyd chance to go now and not have to re-do the mcat. Don't know what to do :( can anybody share their take on this?

Also side question: how important is the ranking of the school when it comes to matching/practicing? The reason why I'm seriously considering USyd is because the international ranking is high. But does this matter?
Ranking doesn't matter.
Australia's a small country. It just doesn't have the same meaning as the US with hundreds of schools or the UK.

In Aus..it's less about merit than it is about whether you're domestic Australian or not and what state you went to school in.

All internationals are lumped into the same pool. The only time they look at your school is if it's within the same state as the hospital you're applying to. if the hospital is in QLD and you went to USyd, they probably will hire the QLD med school grads over you. Simply because they know you're applying to QLD for back-up if you studied in NSW, it's easier to hire a QLD grad that actually knows their hospital and is more likely to accept the offer.

The only time maybe ranking matters while you're a student is if you're desperate for research, but at your level.
It's easy to get research wherever you go, just depends on what. If you want neurosurgery and research in that, then you can't really attend a rural school.

I would suggest you re-take the MCAT. You may not know this now, but it's easier to do that than go through the whole Australian path then try matching in Canada or leave doors open for a competitive field in Australia.

At least you can re-take the MCAT.

By the way..
Roughly yes, the Aus path is:
1 year internship (must do emergency, surgery, and medical terms)
then roughly 2-8 years of "RMO" or resident years, depending on hospital these can be random rotations again like in intern year, or more streamlined (so mostly medical if you want to do IM)
and then, it's what's called "registrar training" you're on a dedicated vocational program or royal college that will allow you to finish 'residency' and be an attending. That's another 2-7 years. That's if you can even get onto a program - some are easy, some are very competitive in Australia.
then fellowship, another 2 years or more.

The huge variation in times is based on what you're interested in.
There's just no way to know at your stage as a premed. It's highly likely you'll change your mind throughout med school.
GP will be about 5 years in Australia (versus 2 in Canada/US)
Surgery is more like 10-12 years very easily. IM 7-10. Or more depending on how competitive the subspec you want in. This all 7-10 yrs after med school.

Apart from the specialist exams you would have to pass to return home.
It's not easy to suddenly move from a country to another after 10 years, guidelines are different between countries, networking is actually fairly important and then you're assuming you don't care about starting a family in that time.

Last edited:
Ranking doesn't matter.
Australia's a small country. It just doesn't have the same meaning as the US with hundreds of schools or the UK.

In Aus..it's less about merit than it is about whether you're domestic Australian or not and what state you went to school in.

All internationals are lumped into the same pool. The only time they look at your school is if it's within the same state as the hospital you're applying to. if the hospital is in QLD and you went to USyd, they probably will hire the QLD med school grads over you. Simply because they know you're applying to QLD for back-up if you studied in NSW, it's easier to hire a QLD grad that actually knows their hospital and is more likely to accept the offer.

The only time maybe ranking matters while you're a student is if you're desperate for research, but at your level.
It's easy to get research wherever you go, just depends on what. If you want neurosurgery and research in that, then you can't really attend a rural school.

I would suggest you re-take the MCAT. You may not know this now, but it's easier to do that than go through the whole Australian path then try matching in Canada or leave doors open for a competitive field in Australia.

At least you can re-take the MCAT.

By the way..
Roughly yes, the Aus path is:
1 year internship (must do emergency, surgery, and medical terms)
then roughly 2-8 years of "RMO" or resident years, depending on hospital these can be random rotations again like in intern year, or more streamlined (so mostly medical if you want to do IM)
and then, it's what's called "registrar training" you're on a dedicated vocational program or royal college that will allow you to finish 'residency' and be an attending. That's another 2-7 years. That's if you can even get onto a program - some are easy, some are very competitive in Australia.
then fellowship, another 2 years or more.

The huge variation in times is based on what you're interested in.
There's just no way to know at your stage as a premed. It's highly likely you'll change your mind throughout med school.
GP will be about 5 years in Australia (versus 2 in Canada/US)
Surgery is more like 10-12 years very easily. IM 7-10. Or more depending on how competitive the subspec you want in. This all 7-10 yrs after med school.

Apart from the specialist exams you would have to pass to return home.
It's not easy to suddenly move from a country to another after 10 years, guidelines are different between countries, networking is actually fairly important and then you're assuming you don't care about starting a family in that time.

Hey man, i love your comments and had some questions. I've been looking at this route and i wanted to know what would happen if you married an Aussie in while in medical school ? Would you gain PR before internship and do i have do tell my medical school if i become PR ? Also Schools like Flinders and ANU have less grads in their provinves so would they be ideal to apply to. Also say you graduate from ANU would i eligible to work in Sydney, Brisbane etc...

Hey @Domperidone

I'm an applicant interested in attending Aus medical schools and have been reading your comments.
I find them informative, helpful, and overall accurate (with one exception).
Please stop calling MCAT a baby exam that's half the length of USMLE and mulitple times easier... at least not the one that most of us take in recent years. FYI the new one is 7.5h with 4 sections and comparably quite a lot more information than the one you took. Sure it could still easier than the steps, but not to the extent you unintentionally exaggerate.

Hey man, i love your comments and had some questions. I've been looking at this route and i wanted to know what would happen if you married an Aussie in while in medical school ? Would you gain PR before internship and do i have do tell my medical school if i become PR ? Also Schools like Flinders and ANU have less grads in their provinves so would they be ideal to apply to. Also say you graduate from ANU would i eligible to work in Sydney, Brisbane etc...

It depends on the school, you have to look into your school and make sure that it is ok. For instance, at Wollongong you CANNOT gain PR during med school or you will be kicked out of your spot. At USyd, you will be transferred to a FFP Domestic Spot in the next term, and will be allocated priority one for internship. So it is school specific, and it is always up for change, make sure you double-check with your school if you are thinking of going this route.

I am not sure what you mean by if you are eligible to work after you graduate from ANU. ANU grads are still currently guaranteed a spot in Canberra whether domestic or international. You are working as an intern. If you mean are you eligible to practice anywhere in Australia after you graduate from ANU and finish your training? Yes of course. Can you look for spots out-of-state? Definitely. Whether you get it, is another question.

Hey @Domperidone

I'm an applicant interested in attending Aus medical schools and have been reading your comments.
Please stop calling MCAT a baby exam that's half the length of USMLE and mulitple times easier... at least not the one that most of us take in recent years. FYI the new one is 7.5h with 4 sections and comparably quite a lot more information than the one you took. Sure it could still easier than the steps, but not to the extent you unintentionally exaggerate.

Domperidone is...definitely correct in saying the MCAT is a baby compared to USMLE Step 1. You are comparing pre-medical test to....a licensing test to practice.

I have taken both the old MCAT, the new MCAT and currently studying for my Step 1 that I would take in about 5 months time. Step 1...is a beast compared to the MCAT, it doesn't even compare. The content is ridiculously more, with way more detail. Not only that you essentially get one shot, if you are aiming to gain residency in the states. You can't just re-take it like the MCAT and keep trying.

Hey @Domperidone

I've taken both. You're wrong. Deal with it.

Reactions: 1 users