Canadians in US, VISA issues?

Started by deleted688347
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted688347

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a pre-opt student looking to apply to US schools and would like to stay in US to practice afterwards.
However, I just realized optometry is not one of the TN-status professions, so to legally practice optometry in States after my OPT year, I would have to find a employer willing to sponsor for H1B visa and enter the lottery, or work in academic institutions? Has anyone done this? I noticed that there are many Canadians in US optometry schools, did some of you manage to stay in US for work without getting academic positions or getting married to a US citizen?