Canadians!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistBunaHay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any canadians applying this year. I think apart from Audio, I haven't seen anyone candian. iF not candians, any intl' students waiting for thursday

Members don't see this ad.

DentistBunaHay said:
Are there any canadians applying this year. I think apart from Audio, I haven't seen anyone candian. iF not candians, any intl' students waiting for thursday

right here..waiting on nyu,boston and tufts. i was rejected from michigan,temple and UOP. Interviewed at columbia and case.

Hey guys, another Canadian here from Toronto. I have applied to plenty of private schools and have been to some interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to plenty of private schools too and I had an interview in case and one in uconn. Did you guys apply to any candian universities. I've applied to western but that's it. I wanna goto uconn really badly, lets see what happens. Have fun these next three days. By the way, i"m from toronto too. GO LEAFS GO

Hey guys,

I'm from Toronto, nice to meet you all.

I've been interviewed at Penn so far and just waiting for their reply soon.

Will apply to Canadian schools as well.

Good luck to everyone!

Canada...the 51st state. Bunch of hosers. How 'bout some maple syrup, eh?
Just kidding, Canada is awesome.

virginiabeach said:
Canada...the 51st state. Bunch of hosers. How 'bout some maple syrup, eh?
Just kidding, Canada is awesome.

Sorry, no more maple syrup, we're already in our igloo's for the winter hahahahaaha
RS

it seems like all of us canadians had an interview in case. I know that there are 2 canadians in class of 2009. I guess only one or two of us will be chosen. I dont' want to go there though. Where else did other canadians have their interviews. I guess we all are in competition with each other for the 1 or 2 canadian spots that they usually have in each university. Should we stick together or hate each other??

DentistBunaHay said:
it seems like all of us canadians had an interview in case. I know that there are 2 canadians in class of 2009. I guess only one or two of us will be chosen. I dont' want to go there though. Where else did other canadians have their interviews. I guess we all are in competition with each other for the 1 or 2 canadian spots that they usually have in each university. Should we stick together or hate each other??

Stick together of course lol
RS

Another Canuck

From the hill billy land of British Columbia. :laugh:

Hd

2-3 canadian spots???? I dont think it works this way. Private schools do not care if you are from Canada or US.

I guess it does actually. THe person to interviewed me in case told me that they try to limit the incoming international students to usually around 3-4 students. WHen i asked him, how many are usually candians. He said around 1 or 2 but never more than that. That was according to him, so I guess i"m using only one source to say this. But if you actually do look at some of the stats for some private universities, they only take 2 or 3 international students in the upcoming class. THey take a lot of out of state students but not many out of country students. Anyways, I hope that we all get in wherever we want. I don't think that there are many of us, so maybe we'll be able to take up the 1 or 2 spots in all the private universities.
Take it easy eh.

Members don't see this ad :)
DentistBunaHay said:
I guess it does actually. THe person to interviewed me in case told me that they try to limit the incoming international students to usually around 3-4 students. WHen i asked him, how many are usually candians. He said around 1 or 2 but never more than that. That was according to him, so I guess i"m using only one source to say this. But if you actually do look at some of the stats for some private universities, they only take 2 or 3 international students in the upcoming class. THey take a lot of out of state students but not many out of country students. Anyways, I hope that we all get in wherever we want. I don't think that there are many of us, so maybe we'll be able to take up the 1 or 2 spots in all the private universities.
Take it easy eh.

I think thats just Case's policy though....other Canadian friendly schools such as BU, Tufts and NYU have plenty of Canadians in their class....no need to worry.

However, if you guys have already interviewed at Case, congrats, because that usually means an acceptance....and Case Western seems like an AMAZINGGGG school! I dont think you'd regret going there at all.

pbure said:
right here..waiting on nyu,boston and tufts. i was rejected from michigan,temple and UOP. Interviewed at columbia and case.

hey bure....i cant beleive you got rejected by Temple...it still boggles my mind! Anyways, who cares.....if you get into Case, you'll be just as set!

Todds2be@work said:
Hey guys, another Canadian here from Toronto. I have applied to plenty of private schools and have been to some interviews.

Where have u interviewed and what are your stats?

Helloooooooooooooooooooooo!

I got made so much fun of for being Canadian when I was at my UPENN interview. Everyone...the students, my interviewer...it was great :D

Dr.BadVibes said:
Where have u interviewed and what are your stats?

hey
Overall GPA -3.3
Science GPA - 3.4
BCP GPA - 3.7

DAT-22/22/22

I have applied to 10 schools. I am still waiting to hear from Tufts, UDM, UOP, Nova, Creighton(only secondary).
Rejected- UPenn.

I dont think Canadians are considered international student. I just hate Case policies, I would only go there if Case is the only school I get accepted at.

Todds2be@work said:
I dont think Canadians are considered international student. I just hate Case policies, I would only go there if Case is the only school I get accepted at.

What politics are you talking about?? :confused:

just out of curiosity...

what are your motivations for attending dental school in the US instead of Canada? I don't know anything about dental schools in canda but i assume they are on par with those in the US.

TimR said:
just out of curiosity...

what are your motivations for attending dental school in the US instead of Canada? I don't know anything about dental schools in canda but i assume they are on par with those in the US.

really hard to get in in canada(all gpa and dat's)..plus i bombed the soap carving part of the canadian dat's and the u.s schools dont care about that score.

I didnt write Canadian DAT. I am not a Bio major and my chances of getting in at a Canadian Universities is slim to none. I really does not matter where I get in. I would go anywhere in States to study.

TimR said:
just out of curiosity...

The schools in Canada are really good but hard to get into. Let's put it like this, if you don't have a 3.7 GPA, good luck getting an interview!

Audio said:
The schools in Canada are really good but hard to get into. Let's put it like this, if you don't have a 3.7 GPA, good luck getting an interview!

It's not really that bad. Some Canadian dental schools take best 3 years (90 credits) and some take best 2 years (60 credits).

Plus, there's a lot less applicants applying to each school.

Hey guys, fellow canadian here...I interviewed at temple on oct 13th and just found out my application is still under review! I couldnt believe it, but then again brian did say we were the 256th group of people interviewing that week and since they sent out 200 acceptances there's a chance that they didnt even review the people past 200....Oh well I just have to wait for my other interviews in january..

preluder said:
Hey guys, fellow canadian here...I interviewed at temple on oct 13th and just found out my application is still under review! I couldnt believe it, but then again brian did say we were the 256th group of people interviewing that week and since they sent out 200 acceptances there's a chance that they didnt even review the people past 200....Oh well I just have to wait for my other interviews in january..

I have an interview on Jan 31st at Temple. I dont think I have a chance then as they are already sending out 200 acceptances. How many people do they interview in one group? I think they interview three days a week or somthing.

E. coli said:
It's not really that bad. Some Canadian dental schools take best 3 years (90 credits) and some take best 2 years (60 credits).

Plus, there's a lot less applicants applying to each school.

I'm from Ontario so my choices are Western and UofT. UofT has an average GPA over 3.8 on the OMSAS scale where an A is a 3.9 and an A+ is 4.0. And you're right that Western takes your 2 best years...but, GPA averages for those two best years are always between 3.7 and 4.0 so it's definately harder than getting into let's say NYU or BU. The fact is that I could get into Harvard or UPenn but not into the University of Western Bloody Ontario. It's a lot more competitive up north hommies. :D BUT, that doesn't mean the schools are better. I'm really impressed with the facilities at a lot of US schools :thumbup:

I have a question. For Canadians applicants, does attending big name university like UT or UBC in Canada as a undergrad give you some edge on applying to US dental schools compare to those who went to less known schools (i.e University of Guleph) ?

Smooth Operater said:
I have a question. For Canadians applicants, does attending big name university like UT or UBC in Canada as a undergrad give you some edge on applying to US dental schools compare to those who went to less known schools (i.e University of Guleph) ?

UBC is not that big buddy!

HD

hockeydentist said:
UBC is not that big buddy!

HD

Hahaha :laugh: It's a decent school. At UPENN there are actually 2 Canadians from Simon Frasier University. And some more from UofT.

I think UofT and McGill are the big ones in Canada.

Audio said:
Hahaha :laugh: It's a decent school. At UPENN there are actually 2 Canadians from Simon Frasier University. And some more from UofT.

I think UofT and McGill are the big ones in Canada.

Its a decent school if you want to be lumberjack!

E. coli said:
BTW, the admission process in the states really suck. I am from Canada, and I expected processes like admission to be fair. Heck, the dean of admission in our school (UBC) even told the applicants that they are not allowed to have any conversations or relationship with the applicants because it would be unfair for other students.

I guess things in the U.S. are a lot different. I thought it would be easier to get into dental school in the states than Canada, just by looking at the gpa and dat average. Guess I was wrong, the statistics is deceiving because of people who needs family background and connection to get in.

I am glad that admission policies in Canada is not like that, they always pick the best student from an academic standpoint, and extracurricular/family background always comes second. Basically, if you don't have good gpa and dat, you won't get in. It make me sick that admission process in the states is so unfair. I guess that's how things work here, the richer get richer.

Anyways, this is just my opinion. I am not bitter and I am not trying to offend anyone. But I am just sick and tired to hear people on SDN brag about how their family background is the only reason they got into dental school.

I am glad to be a Canadian, I am starting to think that I rather go to a dental school in Canada than in the U.S. At least in Canada, you know your classmates are qualify and I don't have to deal with dinguses like this. You have to get into dental school with your own ability, and not because my dad pulls all the string for me.
Hey Ecoli, I just wanted to comment on your above post in that thread that was closed. You stated that in Canada, the admissions process is more fair and that you hate the US because many people get in because of connections?

Oh my friend.....are we being a bit naive here? I dont care where you are in the world, but connections gets you places ANYWHERE....be it Canada, US, Europe, Asia...even communist Cuba! In almost any field, connections will get you places. Thats just life.

You wanna specialize? You're in for such a suprise. Just wait to see the politics that are involved.....you do realize that many of your future classmates will be sons/daughters of dentists....so when they graduate, they have a cushy practice to fall into without any work.....will you be pissed at them? Do you fault them for this? Just play the cards you're dealt with and stop whining.

And dont go around and try and paint a fairytale picture of Canada. Trust me, Im damn proud to be Canadian and love that country to death, but I aint gonna try and convince myself that its perfect and free from the realities of the world.

Hello Canadians.

Any acceptances???? I got into NYU so far. Still waiting for other schools.

Aho yaar, ho gaya suda bhi admission case vich. Asee achay punjabi dentist buna gain 2010 vich. I'm still waiting for UConn tho.