Canceling interview invite after accepting one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baliztiknsg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wondering, if you accept an invitation for an interview, is it possible to decline it later? If so, would there be any consequences? Would other schools be notified of it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

Just wondering, if you accept an invitation for an interview, is it possible to decline it later? If so, would there be any consequences? Would other schools be notified of it?

Thanks!

no...i highly doubt schools would call all the other schools and tell them what you did....i don't think most schools care if you don't wanna come, it's not like they don't have other people who are dying to get an interview from them.

The schools don't care if you cancel as long as you are respectful and do it far enough in advance to let them invite someone in your place. I canceled a couple of interviews and the schools seemed totally fine with it. Just call the admissions office directly as soon as you know that you don't want to interview there. You might also send a letter thanking them for the interview invitation and politely decline. That could do a lot down the road if you decide to apply to one of the specialty programs at that school. On the other hand, if you are rude and totally rub them the wrong way, they could have a long memory when it comes time to select applicants to their residencies.