Mar 23, 2016
13
2
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone. I know this is probably silly and I know the answer is probably a big fat no, but I want to try regardless.

I'm registered to take my MCAT August 19th, I registered months ago. I just found out a few minutes ago that my fiance needs a pretty lengthy spinal surgery next week. Guess what day?

The 19th. I know its to late to cancel the exam now, and I know they don't honor refunds, but does anyone think its worth calling and asking? I need to be in the hospital for this surgery, that's just not an option now. But I really hate to have wasted so much money for something I truly couldn't have seen coming. Had this surgery been planned ahead I would say it's my fault for not cancelling, but we only found out today after he was admitted into the ER two days ago with severe back pain, leg numbness, etc.

Sound I bother calling and explaining this to MCAT? There are test dates for the 20th as well that are likely full, but in the small chance there may be one spot do you think they might let me switch?
 

orangeblue

7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2011
895
126
Call and ask. It'll take the same amount of time (or quicker) than waiting for advice based on what other SDN folks think.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kingdomheart
Feb 28, 2016
79
5
Hey everyone. I know this is probably silly and I know the answer is probably a big fat no, but I want to try regardless.

I'm registered to take my MCAT August 19th, I registered months ago. I just found out a few minutes ago that my fiance needs a pretty lengthy spinal surgery next week. Guess what day?

The 19th. I know its to late to cancel the exam now, and I know they don't honor refunds, but does anyone think its worth calling and asking? I need to be in the hospital for this surgery, that's just not an option now. But I really hate to have wasted so much money for something I truly couldn't have seen coming. Had this surgery been planned ahead I would say it's my fault for not cancelling, but we only found out today after he was admitted into the ER two days ago with severe back pain, leg numbness, etc.

Sound I bother calling and explaining this to MCAT? There are test dates for the 20th as well that are likely full, but in the small chance there may be one spot do you think they might let me switch?
Call the AAMC first talk to them and then call the Prometric headquarters if the AAMC says no.

When I took my exam they cancelled my test site so I had to call Prometric rather than AAMC to change my date. I was supposed to change my date to the same month, but I changed it to the month later and they didn't charge me extra or even ask questions. Obviously my circumstance was easy because it was their fault, but it's worth a shot.