Cancelling Interviews after Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StL_to_Boston

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone cancelled future interviews yet after getting accpted to a different school?

I have 5 more interviews scheduled for Dec.-Jan. that I do not plan on attending and I was just wondering what you all thought was the best way to notify. Phone? Letter? Both?

If anyone has done this already I'd appreciate some info.

Thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

StL_to_Boston said:
Anyone cancelled future interviews yet after getting accpted to a different school?

I have 5 more interviews scheduled for Dec.-Jan. that I do not plan on attending and I was just wondering what you all thought was the best way to notify. Phone? Letter? Both?

If anyone has done this already I'd appreciate some info.

Thanks!!!!!

Just call and be done with it. Don't waste time writing. :)

DrTacoElf said:
Just call and be done with it. Don't waste time writing. :)

The thing I was worried about was - if in 4 years I want to enter a specialization program and I apply here, are they going to remember me as "that chick who cancelled without writing"? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
StL_to_Boston said:
The thing I was worried about was - if in 4 years I want to enter a specialization program and I apply here, are they going to remember me as "that chick who cancelled without writing"? :laugh:

Well writing is more formal and you can't go wrong for sure, but at the same time it takes longer for them to reopen the interview spots. Calling and writing seems redundant but effective.

StL_to_Boston said:

Hello,

I have the same question. Now that I have been accepted to one of my top choices, how should I cancel my other interviews? Should I tell them why I am cancelling or should I just say that I won't be able to make it? Also I didnt think about this before and personally I feel it is highly unlikely, but is there anyway that they could remember me four years from now if I apply to a speciality program?

Thanks!!!!!!

I may be wrong but I seem to rememberl someone posting in the dental forum that the admissions dept/comittee's for D-school and Specialty-schools are completely different. If this is in fact the case, it would seem highly unlikely that turning a school down will have an impact on your application four years from now.

Even if it was the same admissions comittee I would really like to hope that they have better things to do with their time and are not sitting around cross-referencing thier applicant's from 4+ years ago to see who called in thier rejection as oppose to who wrote a letter. Granted you probably don't want to go out of your way to be rude/disrespectful, but I would think that either would suffice. As far as thier D-school program goes, it probably makes life easier on them the faster they can get an answer from you and move on to another applicant/possible future student.

Just my .02 on the matter.

Dental schools have been accepting students for years, they know...and probably are expecting cancellations to happen.

would you tell us what schools you are canceling at? so maybe we can move our interviews at earlier spots? -- somebody want to create a thread for canceled interviews so that sdners can jump and call right after a cancelation?

actually a good idea...

I cancelled at Indiana, UNLV, Case Western, NYU, and U. of Pittsburgh.