Cancer Pain Fellowships?

Rocuronium18

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2016
I am a new-in-practice pain physician, having recently completed fellowship. I'm in an academic setting, but our center is looking for more experience with cancer pain management, and I didn't receive a ton of specific cancer pain management during fellowship. I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for specific cancer pain fellowships, or centers with really good exposure to cancer pain management? Thanks in advance!

Extralong

7+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2011
I sleep with the fishes
  1. Resident [Any Field]
  2. Attending Physician
I am a new-in-practice pain physician, having recently completed fellowship. I'm in an academic setting, but our center is looking for more experience with cancer pain management, and I didn't receive a ton of specific cancer pain management during fellowship. I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for specific cancer pain fellowships, or centers with really good exposure to cancer pain management? Thanks in advance!

MD Anderson, I hear has plenty of malignant pain exposure. Also, you can consider getting to know your Onc colleagues, make some friends, and see if referrals come your way.
Generally I agree with willabeast, cancer pain referrals to pain docs are sparse.

Last edited:
About the Ads

Orin

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2009
Depends on the area of the country you are in, but start by looking at the cancer pain research consortium meetings that Lisa Stearns in Arizona puts on or the MSK cancer pain meeting Amit Gulati has in NYC.

The key thing is building relationships and comfort with the referral sources. Cancer pain is a different beast but it's not necessarily lucrative/lifestyle friendly.

Reactions: 1 user

cowboydoc

5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2016
  1. Attending Physician
I Second MD Anderson. A mentor did fellowship there and is part of surg onc dept. at university hospital.

My neighborhood oncologist is great. She has referred as many of her staff to me as she has patients, so not a lot of volume!

painfree23

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
What’s so special about cancer pain? Doing more risky procedure because less consequences? Wat type of procedure are you doing more of? I see some and the only thing for me is more liberal narcotic prescription ~ see a lot of lung, some with Mets to bone, brain, heent.

Rocuronium18

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2016
Thanks everyone for the feedback and insights. To provide some context on some of the points being raised, I am practicing in Canada - we are not so dependent on referrals from private practice, and our center is a tertiary care pain center. We are now being asked if we can incorporate cancer pain management to link with our cancer center. We do a small number of intrathecal pumps for palliative patients, but just wondering about further exposure to managing these and perhaps doing other neurolytic procedures.

D

deleted993114

Why? Oncology is notoriously poor in referring pain patients until it is too late.

I don't think I have ever encountered an oncology service that has been a good referral source, ever.

Having had advanced cancer X2 with significant pain issues associated with the cancer/treatment, it is interesting to see the process from a patient's view. You literally have to ask the oncologists for help and specify exactly what you need/want. I had to hand one of my oncologists a pain protocol for cystitis/bladder CA/partial cystectomy pain. I have had friends and family members who had to ask me to for suggestions for specific meds from pain/side effects of their cancer treatment which the oncologists were ignoring.

painfree23

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2017
Why? Oncology is notoriously poor in referring pain patients until it is too late.

I don't think I have ever encountered an oncology service that has been a good referral source, ever.

Having had advanced cancer X2 with significant pain issues associated with the cancer/treatment, it is interesting to see the process from a patient's view. You literally have to ask the oncologists for help and specify exactly what you need/want. I had to hand one of my oncologists a pain protocol for cystitis/bladder CA/partial cystectomy pain. I have had friends and family members who had to ask me to for suggestions for specific meds from pain/side effects of their cancer treatment which the oncologists were ignoring.

Do you mind sharing this protocol! Would love to see it!

SommeRiver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2018
  1. Attending Physician
Saw a few in fellowship. Imminently dying. Put a TAP cath in one with remarkable improvement. Other than that I watched a few inpt Oncologists put ppl on PCA with high basal rates and on demand that was way too aggressive that required Narcan.

Outpt I wouldn't go looking for this.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.